9 Week Old Lab Meets Fully Grown Doberman...

je33ie

We're off to my mum's tomorrow with little Geordie. My mum has a 19 month old Dobermann and I'm trying to work out the best way to introduce them.

I'm thinking of taking her crate with us so she has a 'time out' zone... but other than that I'm stumped. I'd be interested in hearing others' suggestions!

Should he wait outside and sniff Geordie through the glass? Would it be better if they're both on leads? How do I make sure he doesn't hurt her?

Editted to add that he is fully vaccinated, and I'd like them to meet asap because I see my mum at least once a week so it would be good if they get along!

Edited by je33ie

What is the Dobermann like with other dogs? Especially puppies?

The safest thing is probably to introduce them on neutral territory, a local park etc, on lead.

Having a crate is a good idea in case Geordie needs to rest.

We met an 13 week old shepherd at the beach the other day and he was pretty relaxed. He didn't jump on the pup, but ran around trying to get him to play. The puppy was knocked over once but it didn't seem to hurt him.

I can't take her to parks yet, so we might have to try the driveway or somewhere like that...

Hey,

I when my german shepherd puppy was 9 weeks old I introduced him to my Golden retriever who lives at my mums place in another town! The golden retriever is good with puppys so we just introduced them in the backyard no leads. He knocked my pup over with excitement but there was no damage done to the pup and the pup was a bit scared a first just because he was so much smaller then him but they got along great. The next visit was a couple of weeks later and they played allll weekend. My pup is now 5months old and sees his new friend regularly and they are yet to have a fight. great friendS!!

Edited by kaceymegs