Herding In Nsw

I'd be interested to find out about herding in Sydney or nearby areas. We're getting a Finnish Lapphund and my partner is really interested in doing herding with her. It won't be for quite a while though (she's still at the breeders!!! - only 4 weeks old).

I'd be interested to find out about herding in Sydney or nearby areas. We're getting a Finnish Lapphund and my partner is really interested in doing herding with her. It won't be for quite a while though (she's still at the breeders!!! - only 4 weeks old).

You could start with your keeshund - they are an eligable breed. Training at EP is at the DogsNSW grounds starting at 9 and going to 3 Sat and 4 Sun. Hawkesbury is 9-11 for beginnings.

Where abouts in NSW are you?

There is herding training at Erkine Park most weekends and next to Hawkesbury Showground every Sat. If these are a possibility I will give you more details.

I am at Glenmore Park which is very close to Erskine Park. Do they have a certain date for beginners to attend?

Edited by raceyt

You could start with your keeshund - they are an eligable breed. Training at EP is at the DogsNSW grounds starting at 9 and going to 3 Sat and 4 Sun. Hawkesbury is 9-11 for beginnings.

Really?? I had no idea!! Well then! I think 'beginners' sounds like a good place to start!!!!! Is there a minimum age??

Are there any books or websites one can read to get to know what sort of commands are used, etc? Jedi's only 5 1/2 months so if he is too young to start now, we can at least get him familiar with some commands.

No minimum age so long as they are vacinated. Not all dogs turn on the first time they see sheep so be prepared to come a few times to see if he is interested. The boy in my signature didn't turn on till just over 6 months but his sister worked from 3 months.

It is very hard to teach most of the commands without sheep as they react totally differently when the sheep are around. You could work on his stays and a drop or sit command as the start of the stop. Also work on his recall, but it doesn't have to be formal like obedience

Fab! Thanks!

No minimum age so long as they are vacinated. Not all dogs turn on the first time they see sheep so be prepared to come a few times to see if he is interested. The boy in my signature didn't turn on till just over 6 months but his sister worked from 3 months.

It is very hard to teach most of the commands without sheep as they react totally differently when the sheep are around. You could work on his stays and a drop or sit command as the start of the stop. Also work on his recall, but it doesn't have to be formal like obedience

Excellent! I just hope Jedi doesn't want to eat the sheep.. :) He's never seen livestock before, so it could be interesting! Thanks for the tips - I will continue working on his obedience and we'll see how he goes!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Really?? I had no idea!! Well then! I think 'beginners' sounds like a good place to start!!!!! Is there a minimum age??

Are there any books or websites one can read to get to know what sort of commands are used, etc? Jedi's only 5 1/2 months so if he is too young to start now, we can at least get him familiar with some commands.

I have a litter of puppies at home at the moment and although it is a show litter I have 3 bitches picked out which I consider are suitable to be shown at this age and will be putting them on ducks this week (Ducks in a small round pen with in a large round yard) and determine which ones i run on. Can't put any commands on 7 week old pups but you can see which ones are free moving and keen, the ones that will be too sticky and some that may not be interested.

Once I work out which pups I will run on they will get this 3-4 times a week I like the round yard concept as it also patterns the pups at this age to form the arc I want in my dogs.

Wont do any formal training till much later but this will keep the interest up and start the whole process alot sooner. I will also be introducing driving into my training alot earlier then I have done before.

Tracey

• 2 weeks later...

There is herding training at Erkine Park most weekends and next to Hawkesbury Showground every Sat. If these are a possibility I will give you more details.

Newbie to the forum :rofl: hi everyone!

Could i ask for a bit more info about the herding at Erskine Park? I have a BC who herds anything that moves and thought i might bring him down for a go :eek: . I couldnt find the times/costs/classes etc through google or anything and would love some more info

Thanks heaps in advance!

• 2 months later...

Bumping...

Still hoping for a reply to an earlier question about herding on the Central Coast / Newcastle region.

Would love to do this with my BC but don't really want to go to Sydney...

Also bumping for Tira's question :)

Edited by Snoozie

Newbie to the forum :laugh: hi everyone!

Could i ask for a bit more info about the herding at Erskine Park? I have a BC who herds anything that moves and thought i might bring him down for a go :laugh: . I couldnt find the times/costs/classes etc through google or anything and would love some more info

Thanks heaps in advance!

I'm not in NSW but I believe from reading on a list that there is no training over summer. I think the clubs that hold training at Erskine Park are the Stockdog Club and Border Collie Club so maybe you could contact DogsNSW for a contact number for those 2 clubs?

Or maybe PM Janba on DOL as she is involved in the herding there.

• 8 years later...
On 13/08/2008 at 11:22 AM, Janba said:

Can you please tell me more about the Hawkesbury herding training as I have a 2 yr old working kelpie that I want to start training