Crate Training

periau

Interesting - what I found with my baby is that crate in another room was a problem but then I moved it into my bedroom till she was around 16 weeks and she was fine.

That seems to be the case with Summer.

for example- i just had to change my bed cos she piddled on it whilst playing with my other young dog. I put her back in the crate and a few whinges i just carried on and shes asleep now and im in the study across the hall.

Would any of you suggest a puppy pen or continue with the crate?

I'd continue with the crate. :rofl:

Have you been preparing her for her night time sleeps?

for example; taking her into the room that the crate is in with the crate door open and ignoring her at times (maybe she'll head into it for a toy) and playing with her it in too (so she's not thinking it's punishment). When she does go in there for the night, what time are you putting her in there, and what are you doing with her in the hour leading up to it. How dark is the room, and how warm? Are their other sounds, - ticking, radio? is she able to play in there with soft toys, and reach her water? Maybe you could fill a kong ball. Try feeding her ONLY in her crate and locking her in there for 20minutes and leaving the room while she eats. I don't really know what else to suggest. but best of luck

No idea on a meaty bone. I only ever drop some biscuits in there sometimes, but she is only in her crate over the big night sleep. She also goes to sleep in the living room in a small pen on her cushion (with me in there too normally). Then a quick wee and off to the crate. It works a lot better than trying to put her in too early. Although lately she wants to be got up again (does nothing) and then she will go to sleep... just a bad habit I have allowed to stop the barking, grr. But still, worth it I think.

Hope you get some relief from the crying.

i know this might sound silly, but it saved me! wrap a clock ( not digital, the ones that tick) in a blanket, and tie it with a rubber band so your puppy can't chew it. keep it next to her in her crate or where ever she sleeps. apparently it mimicks the mums hearts beat and has a soothing effect on them...believe me it works, its the only thing that calmed by baby border collie, and hes still sleeping with it.....

Guest june.andnovas

One major thing on my puppy to do list ... get a small ticking clock. Never tried it with previous pups but have heard it works.

I'm considering crating my pup for sleeping only, having the crate in my room so I can hear if she stirs during the night for the toilet.

What size crate would I need for a giant schnauzer pup? I'm guessing she will only use it for maybe the first 6 months? Then change to a bed on my floor.