Toxicity In Animals

Ci

OK, Ill dive in.

A new baby arrived and shortly thereafter (some days) I woke in the morning to find her shivering uncontrollably, lethargic, totally apathetic and eyes looking red and....um....only word was disinterested. Prior to that she had been a real little monster of activity. I called the breeder while bundling baby into the car en route to vet. Vet said shivering was normal on a veterinary table as it was in an unfamiliar environment - this was after I told him she was a show dog and used to tabling......and she had been shivering despite being under an arctic sleeping bag. Lets get real here - owners know when their animals dont feel great. He prescribed antibiotics for a tummy upset and told me to watch her for 24 hours. When I returned home I found what looked like a half eaten bulb on the back lawn. Called the vet in a panic and was told the same thing - Stop worrying and just watch her for 24 hours. Keep giving her the antibiotics. It turned out well in the end but holy-moly..... Is there an antidote for any toxic substances, be they onions, bulbs, chocolate etc. What can owners do to cut down on that kind of stress? And antibiotics???? Give me a break! Instant cure for anything a vet or medical practitioner doesnt know the answer to....

Thanks for the thread, Ci :rofl:

Edited by raz

Just thought i would add my 2 cents!

thought it important to bring up breed specific things too - like i didnt know that my breed was particularly sensitive to Ivermectin(sp?) used in most heart worm tablets - not that i had any bad experiences - but was warned b4 using them i think border collies can be bad too?

i know akitas are sensitive to most drugs and such - especially anesthetics

does anyone else know of breed specific toxins?

Toxic Plants:

Amaryllis

Angel's Trumpet

Apple

Apricot, almond

Asparagus fern

Azalea

American, English, and Western Yew

Boston Ivy, Glocal Ivy, Heart Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy, Ripple Ivy, Ivy

Bird of Paradise

Buckeye

Black locust

Balsam pear

Buttercup

Chrysanthemum

Creeping fig, Weeping fig

Creeping Charlie

Crown of Thorns

Castor bean

China berry

Coriaria

Drunk Cane

Delphinium

Daffodil

Emerald Duke

Elephant ears

English Holly

Fox glove

Ground cherry

Heart leaf (Philodendrum)

Horse Chestnut

Indian turnip

Indian tobacco

Japanese plum

Jerusalem Cherry

Jimson weed

Jasmine

Larkspur

Loco weed

Lupine

Marble Queen

Majesty

Monkey pod

Mushrooms

Moonseed

Matrimony vine

Marijuana

Morning Glory

Mescal bean

Nightshade

Nutmeg

Oak tree

Poinsettia

Pot mum

Pathos

Poke weed

Peach

Poison hemlock

Pig weed

Periwinkle

Peyote

Red Princess

Rhubarb

Spider mum

Saddle leaf and Split leaf Philodendron

Sprangeri fern

Spinach

Sunburned potatoes

Tomato and tomato vine

Umbrella plant

Water hemlock

Wild cherry

Wisteria

raz - I took special notice of your bulb post in the other post .. thanks ! :o I have now tripled checked that all my spring bulbs waiting for planting are safely put away.

I've also changed vets for all but dire emergencies to the interested, sympathetic vet even if she is an hour's drive away.

I have hundreds & hundreds of bulbs in the ground though ......... Is your garden small ? - ie do you think she sought out the bulb or just unluckily came across it in a patch of earth ?

I'm confused about garlic. I've read threads advising adding a clove of garlic daily to dog food .. & sites saying that garlic & onion cause anaemia .. :rofl:

Good thread .................. :rofl:

POSSUM POO. I knew a lady that rescued a welfare saint when she was months old, got her to the great age of 11 years and some months. She was spoilt rotten, loved beyond reason. When I had a litter I had no hesitation in giving her a pup. She suddenly when from a healthy puppy to a very sick one, every one was baffled, me (the breeder), the vets etc..... It turned out she had eaten possum poo which was toxic, she lost her battle and went to GOD.

LEFTOVER XMAS HAM: Some people after xmas are sick of ham, turkey etc... stays in fridge until the salt crystalises on it and then throw it out to the dogs. It is toxic to dogs and can kill. My vet in Sydney used to put a sign in her window at xmas advising all her clients not to give their dogs the left over ham bone.

Mel, do you know what spinach and tomato can do? -I used to grow them and the dogs gorged on it. No more vegie garden for me.

Bilby, it is a small garden and I would assume she found it by accident as the 2 dogs already here certainly hadnt found it prior. I was told years ago by a horticulturalist not to leave unlabeled bulbs in the fridge as most of them are poisonous to humans if eaten (mistaken for an onion) so rule of thumb here is all bulbs had to come out before our first dog arrived. Saying that, however, years ago I had 2 dogs on 1 acre of cottage garden - thousands of bulbs and homoeopathic plants like foxglove with no ill affect.

Elise - possum poo? Just a little or a lot? One of my dogs was looking a bit worse for wear yesterday ie shaking, tail down, back roached. Maybe he found some possum poo - I have seen a possum trying to raid the worm farm lately..... I stuck him under a doona for a while and he was fine and I just thought the little bugger was wanting some one on one time with me!

"Apparently" this was a build up of possum poo. The possum used to visit the verandah and poop and the dog had access to it everyday. Over a period of time, it built up toxicity in the dog.

It failed the vets and even a blood test failed to reveal anything, when she died, they did a PM and that's when they found the possum poo still undigested.

Yeap possum poo is a big one!!!

Texas poisoned himself on it when he was about 6mths old. He always use to eat the poo around our garden and never a problem - toehr than me telling him he is not allowed to kiss me ever again!

But we went to park in another suburb and he got to a heap of it and shallowed it before I could get it out of his mouth.

Within two hours he was so sick - I had to rush him to emergency. I was up all night with him. He was vomiting and pooing blood. It smelt bad.

But he got through it and it took several days to recover and now he doesn't go anywhere near any kind of poo!!!!

Cured him for life.

It was terrible. I will never forget that smell and now if I even remotely smell it - iknow exactly what it means - they have eaten something bad!

Edited by Ci

Guest pound dog owner

my little fella quite often is given a chunk of apple my boys share whatever they eat whether it be broccoli (which they detest) or anything else with the exception of chocolate, he has had no ill effect, the dog that is. I have also read that grapes are poisonous for dogs.

I dont know about the Spinach and Tomato. I have heard a few times about tomato plants but I actually found this about spinach on a BARF site...

Spinach

Spinach contains twice as much iron as most other greens. Like other chlorophyll and carotene -containing vegetables, it is a rich source of antioxidants. Besides beta-carotene, it also supplies two other carotenes, lutein and zeaxanthin. Spinach has long had a reputation of being very high in nutrients. It is a good source of fiber, calcium, potassium and vitamins A, B6 and K.

Under that list that I posted (just a word doc that a friend sent me) it said "varied toxic affects.

Under apple, it specifically mentions the seeds, nothing else

"Apple seeds - Varied toxic effects; rapid breathing, shock, dilated pupils, diarrhea gum inflammation"

I knew tomateos are no good - too acidic.

My two will wipe their bottoms, in pain, the day after if they happen to eat a tomatoe anything so I avoid it.

Grapes are not too good for humans either - they are very hard to digest apparently.

I've heard about grapes not being good for them, also macadamia nuts are not good. Although this info comes from my sister (i generally take 10% off for her artistc license but is about a dog she knew so i have taken note of it)

Apparently the macadamia nuts give the same symptoms as a tick, back legs go etc etc. Now, this happened to a BC who was snacking on about 20 or so nuts, the vet had to shave her trying to find a tick - nothing, then when asked what she had eaten they told the vet and the vet told them about the nuts...

... dog is fine now

Just a quick question - what about strawberries. Ok, so i am attempting to grow strawberries (and lettuce), i dont really have what you could say "a green thumb" so more than likely i will have no strawberries (the lettuce is going great guns) but they are in a pot at "harvey level" and i think i remember something of them not being good... or was it they are alright for dogs...??

Poisonous Plants by Category

Bulbs: Amaryllis, Autumn Crocus, Daffodil, Day Lily, Elephant Ears, Gladiolas, Hyacinth, Iris, Lily of the Valley, Narcissus, Orange Day Lily, Tulip

Ferns: Aparagus Fern, Australian Nut, Emerald Feather (aka Emerald Fern), Emerald Fern (aka Emerald Feather), Lace Fern, Plumosa Fern

Flowering Plants: Cyclamen, Hydrangea, Kalanchoe, Poinsettia

Garden Perennials: Charming Diffenbachia, Christmas Rose, Flamingo Plant, Foxglove, Marijuana, Morning Glory, Nightshade, Onion, Tomato Plant, Tropic Snow Dumbcane

House Plants: Ceriman (aka Cutleaf Philodendron), Chinese Evergreen, Cordatum, Corn Plant (aka Cornstalk Plant), Cutleaf Philodendron (aka Ceriman), Devil's Ivy, Dumb Cane, Golden Pothos, Green Gold Nephthysis, Marble Queen, Mauna Loa Peace Lily, Nephthytis, Peace Lily, Red-Margined Dracaena, Striped Dracaena, Taro Vine, Warneckei Dracaena

Lillies: Asian Lily (liliaceae), Easter Lily, Glory Lily, Japanese Show Lily, Red Lily, Rubrum Lily, Stargazer Lily, Tiger Lily, Wood Lily

Shrubs: Cycads, Heavenly Bamboo, Holly, Jerusalem Cherry, Mistletoe "American", Oleander, Precatory Bean, Rhododendron, Saddle Leaf Philodendron, Sago Palm, Tree Philodendron, Yucca

Succulents: Aloe (Aloe Vera)

Trees: Avocado, Buddist Pine, Chinaberry Tree, Japanese Yew (aka Yew), Lacy Tree, Macadamia Nut, Madagascar Dragon Tree, Queensland Nut, Schefflera, Yew (aka Japanese Yew)

Vines: Branching Ivy, English Ivy, European Bittersweet, Glacier Ivy, Hahn's self branching English Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy

Misc/Uncategorized: American Bittersweet, Andromeda Japonica, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Buckeye, Caladium hortulanum, Calla Lily, Castor Bean, Clematis, Fiddle-Leaf Philodendron, Florida Beauty, Fruit Salad Plant, Golden Dieffenbachia, Gold Dust Dracaena, Heartleaf Philodendron, Horsehead Philodendron, Hurricane Plant, Mexican Breadfruit, Mother-in-law, Panda, Philodendron Pertusum, Red Emerald, Red Princess, Ribbon Plant, Satin Pothos, Spotted Dumb Cane, Sweetheart Ivy, Swiss Cheese Plant, Variable Dieffenbachia, Variegated Philodendron, Yesterday/Today/Tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...

Does The RSPCA have anything like this on there site ? If Not, I think they should.. ! ! :(

There is also a long list of Pet safe plants.. and a test/game to Make Your Pets home Poison safe - one for the kids..

Thanks bilby.