Why Does This Work So Well?

Guest Tess32

Guest Tess32

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...;product_id=252

When I bought it I thought it sounded good but didn't think it'd work this well. It took only about 3 goes and two of my dogs suddenly whip around like they have the recall from heaven. It works with distractions as well.

I don't get why the beep has made such a difference? I could easily recall and treat, but this has made it about 10000 time stronger. No matter what they are doing, they are both at my feet within 2 secs..

Any ideas why it has made such an impact?

When I bought it I thought it sounded good but didn't think it'd work this well. It took only about 3 goes and two of my dogs suddenly whip around like they have the recall from heaven. It works with distractions as well.

I don't get why the beep has made such a difference? I could easily recall and treat, but this has made it about 10000 time stronger. No matter what they are doing, they are both at my feet within 2 secs..

wow,thanks for sharing :rolleyes: My girls respond quite quickly to a whistle

Might just add that to my wishlist

I just googled it and found the training instructions. By beeping and treating you are conditioning the dog that the sound means a reward very like the clicker where the dog also comes to you for the reward, but in this case you are using it as a cue for just this one action. The sound is also always the same, unlike our voices which will vary in tone no matter how hard we try to keep it the same.

Once the dog has learnt to run to you for the treat, the recall itself can also becomes self rewarding, particularly from a distance as most dogs love to run.

Guest Tess32

Yeah I understand the conditioning behind it, but I could also condition 'come' or any word to mean a recall, and they have not worked as fast and as intense as this. I literally had them whipping around and running to me at extra speed when they'd been barking at birds, within three beeps!

Not only that but I decided to condition a word "cookie" before I beeped to get a good recall word happening, and also got an extremely quick response. I'd previously conditioned a word using better quality treats and it wasn't this fast!

It definitely has worked faster than any verbal/food recall conditioning I've done. Also you can beep a few times to maybe communicate different things if you wanted.

I wonder if the 'sound' sounds urgent or is just far more interesting than a word?

Interestngly too, one of my dogs will recall at it, but he will NOT take the food associated with it! So he must find it a stressor of some kind, but he still recalls every time when he hears it.

How large is the device Tess32?

Thanks for sharing Tess32.

I think i'm going to try it out considering i'm one of those people they mention in their speil that can't get their dog to come to them while their partner can get recall everytime :rolleyes: I really hope it works.

The sound being high pitched would be stimulating to the dog, and the great thing is like a clicker its the same noise every time. With verbal commands you have subtle differences the dogs would pick up and they can respond to you not feeling 100% or being highly motivational.

Out of interest, I had a personal alarm that looked almost the same, and looks like it had the same features. You pushed a button to get the 'chirp' sound, or pulled the handle off for the alarm to sound. I think it even had the torch, lol

I wonder if it is the same thing, but new marketing due to a new use? And if the personal alarms are still around? You used to be able to get them from the cheap shops for 5 bucks.

Just adding, I bought a whistle for my last dog....I found when he had his nose down, nothing broke his concentration, especially when he was down the paddock chasing a bunny or bunny scent. The whistle really gets his attention, and his love of cheese is doing the rest ;)

The sound being high pitched would be stimulating to the dog, and the great thing is like a clicker its the same noise every time. With verbal commands you have subtle differences the dogs would pick up and they can respond to you not feeling 100% or being highly motivational.

I think this is my biggest problem with Diesel. When I am upbeat and feeling comfortable he works really well. If I am nervous, unsure or tired, he doesn't work nearly as well. While it happens to some degree with my other dogs, it is most noticeable with Diesel for some reason.

be careful using it if you are doing agility games - as they use this device to tell you when you missed an obstacle or need to do the finishing gamble/ sequence :laugh:

Tess - here is my belief - the sound only means one thing and you have conditioned it well... If you had conditioned "cookie" from the start and NEVER said cookie unless you wanted them to whip around immediately (lets face it, we often use come in situations where they may not come) you will have a very good, almost instantaneous recall... the difference is with a word, it takes a lot of conditioning.

You would have got the same response IMO if you had used a whistle as opposed to this device.

IMHO - if you had started recall training at 8wks in a bathroom and just said 'come' and clicked a head turn - it almost becomes 2nd nature and the dog does it without thinking... it's hard to explain, but you do get the same results with a command as well... *if* we haven't abused the word and the dog hasn't learnt that sometimes, come doesn't actually mean 'come right away'....

Sounds like a great tool :laugh:

Imagine if they got really popular - you'd use it at the park to call your dog and end up with 15 other dogs sitting at your feet waiting for treats. :laugh:

At the beach the other day I called "COME" rather loudly and got beautiful recalls from 2 lovely dogs.....problem is I only owned one of them :laugh:

I get the same response with a whistle it is a completely different sound and carries over a long distance. It has been a life saver many times when my food obsessed dog has gone out of sight. You should see the dogs at flyball when they hear the beeps counting down as the lights change colour and they are ready to go.

Edited by whatevah