Help Needed With Skin Problems

Friend's westie x has demodetic (sp?) mange. Not too bad at the moment but getting worse. She's been told to bath the dog twice a week and she's been given various antibiotics for her. Vet says that the problem was made worse by cortizone tablets that the dog was being given when they adopted her because it just masked the problem to start with rather than it being treated. I know some westies are prone to skin problems and would be interested in hearing from anyone with a westie with a skin problem and those who have had dogs with mange. They'd like to sort this out pretty quickly because the vet was making pts noises.

Friend's westie x has demodetic (sp?) mange. Not too bad at the moment but getting worse. She's been told to bath the dog twice a week and she's been given various antibiotics for her. Vet says that the problem was made worse by cortizone tablets that the dog was being given when they adopted her because it just masked the problem to start with rather than it being treated. I know some westies are prone to skin problems and would be interested in hearing from anyone with a westie with a skin problem and those who have had dogs with mange. They'd like to sort this out pretty quickly because the vet was making pts noises.

Hi,

I don't have westies so don't know much about them but i was told that demodex manage can be fixed by ivomec from your vets, usually cures it less then a week. Maybe you could put paw paw ointment on the worst areas as well as i have found this product has cure any skin problems i have had... Good luck

Hi,

PTS?

Why?

www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange. Very informative articles.

A good diet is essential and you may also give your dog flaxseed oil, sardines etc to boost the immune system. And your Vet is right in not giving cortisone or antibiotics as cortisone only mask the symtoms and antibiotics are only necessary if there is a bacterial infection.

All the best.

Petra and Felix

Find a new vet. Unless there is a secondary skin infection there is no need to antibiotics. Demodex is a skin mite that affects dogs with weak immune systems, all dogs carry the mite and hence it cannot be spread. The dog needs a low allergen diet but high in omega oils and immune boosting products so stay away from food high in grains and red meats. WHWT are prone to bad skin but its usually managed with low allergen, high quality diets and the owner being vigilant.

Hi,

I don't have westies so don't know much about them but i was told that demodex manage can be fixed by ivomec from your vets, usually cures it less then a week. Maybe you could put paw paw ointment on the worst areas as well as i have found this product has cure any skin problems i have had... Good luck

Since when can ivermectin cure demodex in a week?! :)

Nehkbet has given good advie. Steer clear of red meats for a while, buy some Pyohex wash, continue to use the ivermectin and monitor the dog closely for any signs of reaction to this, administer antibitotics if a secondary skin infection is present.

Demodex can sometimes take a long time to clear and persistence and patience is the only way to deal with it. They must be consistent with the treatment.

I haven't any experience with Westie skin but Westielover is an expert in the area.

The Pugs that I have had come through with sensitive skin have been cleared of their problem by removing all commercial foods. I find sometimes even the best kibbles will cause a reaaction.

Edited by PugRescueSydney

My bulldog gets skin reactions which makes her fur fall out.. looks like mange.. only when she eats pet food high in artificial colouring and flavouring.

I agree with the trying flaxeed oil, sardines and try a good kibble like Inova.

I wouldn't bath twice a week either as it dries the skin by removing the natural oils which are there fro a reason.

My westie has had skin problems but not mange. he had scabs all over his skin

his was due to food allergies and was put on science diet z/d (which is a low allergen food) for 2 months and this cleared up his skin.

he is meant to be on z/d for good, however I give him z/d plus raw veges and a little bit of cooked kangaroo meat and his skin has been fine.

Hi, I have a staffy who had the demodectic mange and my vet gave us Ivomec its a sheep wormer, which i had to give to her with food at 4mls a day until it was gone. although becuase its a wormer i didnt need to gover her worming tablets and i think its took us about a month to completley have it cleared up. i know some breeds are seriously affected by this though like collies and your friend should check with the vet. But if the vet is making pst pst noises at them i would go elsewhere its not their fault their dog has demodectic mange as its usually passed down from mother to pup and comes out when the dogs immune system is low, and its not contagous like sarcoptic mange is. hope this helps..

Hi,

Since when can ivermectin cure demodex in a week?! :(

Nehkbet has given good advie. Steer clear of red meats for a while, buy some Pyohex wash, continue to use the ivermectin and monitor the dog closely for any signs of reaction to this, administer antibitotics if a secondary skin infection is present.

Demodex can sometimes take a long time to clear and persistence and patience is the only way to deal with it. They must be consistent with the treatment.

I haven't any experience with Westie skin but Westielover is an expert in the area.

The Pugs that I have had come through with sensitive skin have been cleared of their problem by removing all commercial foods. I find sometimes even the best kibbles will cause a reaaction.

Just what i was told, never had demodex or used ivermectin so i was only going but what i was told...

My bulldog gets skin reactions which makes her fur fall out.. looks like mange.. only when she eats pet food high in artificial colouring and flavouring.

I agree with the trying flaxeed oil, sardines and try a good kibble like Inova.

I wouldn't bath twice a week either as it dries the skin by removing the natural oils which are there fro a reason.

Some conditions require regular bathing, with the correct products it only enhances coat condition. Some people are stuck with that way of thinking, these days with the available products there is no concearn with bathing frequently. I have problems if I dont frequently bathe my Stafford

If you use Ivermectin your vet will be using it off label IE - if something happens to your dog tough you're not covered or entitled to compensation. Basically a lot of vets use the cattle version.

Collies, Borders, Aussie shepherds etc can have sever reactions to Ivermectin (and Selamectin in Revolution) which are a similar class of drugs so be very careful and understand what happens when you use these drugs. Some dogs are perfectly fine, others convulse and can die.

The MDR1 mutation has also been found in Shetland Sheepdogs (Shelties). Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, German Shepherds, Long-haired Whippets, Silken Windhounds, and a variety of mixed breed dogs.

basically the brain cannot pump the chemical out and they have seizures.

Nekhbet and all, that may be why the vet hasn't given it to the dog. I wrote down what the dog's being given but, of course, I can't find that scrap of paper at the moment. I'll post when I sort out all the unpaid bills that it's hidden in ...