Voltaren Ingested.

Hey All,

Can anyone help me - our GSD just ate about 200mg sodium diclofenac (Voltaren). We turned our heads for 5 mins and there she was munching away.

She took them about an hour ago and she does not seem to have any side effects - what should we do? I have already given her some charcoal that she has eaten and has had water.

Thanks

vet emergancy :rolleyes:

she may bleed internally.

Eta- the charcoal is good, but you should phone the vet just incase.

I called the Vineyard vets about 30 mins ago and they said she should be monitored for the next two hours and if she worsens then she may need stomach pump. I am trying to find the number for the toxic help line...

Thanks...

et emergancy eek1.gif

This post has been edited by Bellnollie: 3rd Sep 2008 - 08:56 PM

If you do not know that for a fact then just keep your misinformed advice to yourself. Blitzing around the forum posting in every thread with zero knowledge on anything and leaving chaos in your wake :rolleyes:

Alan - follow your vets advice and keep an eye on your pooch for things like increased salivation, restlessness, fatigue etc. Dr Bruce Fogel has a good book for home vet care which covers basic emergency procedures and Merck has also just produced a book. Both good but never a substitute for qualified advice

If in doubt always always listen to your vet and not someone on the forum who is trying to rack up a record number of posts in a short amount of time

et emergancy eek1.gif

This post has been edited by Bellnollie: 3rd Sep 2008 - 08:56 PM

If you do not know that for a fact then just keep your misinformed advice to yourself. Blitzing around the forum posting in every thread with zero knowledge on anything and leaving chaos in your wake :cry:

Alan - follow your vets advice and keep an eye on your pooch for things like increased salivation, restlessness, fatigue etc. Dr Bruce Fogel has a good book for home vet care which covers basic emergency procedures and Merck has also just produced a book. Both good but never a substitute for qualified advice

If in doubt always always listen to your vet and not someone on the forum who is trying to rack up a record number of posts in a short amount of time

How is saying call a vet giving bad advice? :rolleyes:

Thanks for ther advise - yep I got the human toxic help line. They said they could not advise on a dog, but even for humans 200 MG is no where near toxic levels for the average joe.

Pooch is doing well she has been playing and drinking water, she seems fine and exhibiting none of the symptoms of overdose. Finger crossed.

Thanks

A&D:

They said they could not advise on a dog, but even for humans 200 MG is no where near toxic levels for the average joe.

Humans are a lot bigger than dogs. Drugs that are safe for humans may not be safe for dogs (paracetamol being the obvious example) even in relatively small doses.

The only advice I'd be listening to would be veterinary advice.

Hope your dog is doing OK. I second, third, forth for you to only go off a vets advice in a situation like this. If it was Angel I would have called straight away and taken her to our vet or the emergency vet if after-hours.

IMHO forums are of no use for 'hard facts' in possible emergency situations like this iykwim.

Bec.

Edited by becboo

About 6 weeks ago my dog ate Heron Blue, but they have ibuprofen... not sure if Voltaren do... we couldn't pin point time (they had access to the house all day) and our vet advised to monitor him.

He seemed fine and was happy to eat and drink. When we got home from work the next day he was throwing up every 10mins.

Just follow the vets advice and monitor. If there is a change, please get her to the vet straight away.

Human drugs can be bad... my boy now has chronic renal failure (though only mild at the moment).

I called the Vineyard vets about 30 mins ago and they said she should be monitored for the next two hours and if she worsens then she may need stomach pump. I am trying to find the number for the toxic help line...

Thanks...

Again thanks for the advise as per my earlier note first thing we did was call the emergency number for Vineyard vets and we are following the advise given by the on-call vet. She (pooch) is now asleep and is showing no signs of any abnormal behaviour.

Hi Sparky,

Thanks for the concern. This morning she vomitted the charcoal and a little bit of stomach content, but otherwise she was her normal self.

She also had a movement that was normal and was not been fed AM. She ate some grass today (cause there was a very small bit of grass vomit in the garden) when she was by herself but, again tonight she is normal.

Lucky girl... :)

I will feed her tonight. No more Voltaren for her!

Thanks

Alan.