How Do I Teach My Dogs To Stay Close By, Always?

S:

But Ill take some convincing that you could ever really trust the method to work every time.

K9: Each dog needs to go through the learning, correction & distraction phases of training, you just need to be able to read the dog & interupt that motor pattern & you will have reliability.

I have guided some of the toughest dogs through crowds off leash, when the dogs sole intention was to find someone to bite, as we were trying to find a runner, the dog was taught that it's not any bite that brings drive satisfaction, its the bite that I say...

Beagles are far from difficult to fit into this program.

Sorry K9 I read it that the lady wanted her dogs to stay by her side when they were in the garden and that one had already escaped.

You're correct Steve, my main concern was keeping the dogs within my vision whilst out in the garden, and being able to trust them to stay within the boundaries when I have to go indoors. We live on 5 acres and they are currently confined to an enclosure - it's a reasonable size but not enough to keep two Beagle puppies sufficiently exercised. I have bought two long lengths of rope and will try K9's suggestion to keep them within about 30 feet of me.

As for walking the dogs - I haven't taken them "walkies" since moving here, not in a public place. I walk them around the firebreak every morning and afternoon, which is only a half kilometre walk each time, but as you can imagine they find it pretty stimulating being Beagles, as there are so many fresh scents to smell. Tina will gobble up any droppings she finds though - Toby is pretty good with the "leave" command and will spit anything out in return for a treat, but Tina will just swallow whatever it is. I'm hoping there's no nasty disease she could catch from eating kangaroo or rabbit poo, or whatever it is? I don't let the dogs do their business anywhere on the property except within their own enclosure. I'm hoping to save the nice lawn we have from yellow stains, and I don't want the kids stepping in dog's poo when they are running around playing. I'm hoping that this time next year the dogs will not only be able to fun freely, but will also trot back to their own yard when they need to toilet.

In the meantime, we do need to think about getting someone out to finish off the last fence, not only to stop mine getting out, but to also stop other dogs getting in. I have heard two scary stories where dogs and livestock were killed by stray dogs getting onto properties nearby. BTW, thanks everyone for posting here with your ideas.

Tina will gobble up any droppings she finds though - Toby is pretty good with the "leave" command and will spit anything out in return for a treat, but Tina will just swallow whatever it is.

Everything goes into the mouth doesn't it, my Bella is terrible with this as on the beach there are just wayyyyy to many yummy things to eat, or so she thinks.

Honestly you will need to watch out for droppings and baits, if your in an area where Dingo baits are places you'll know about them as they should be signed but you can't be too carefull etc.

I'm even considerening getting a muzzle for Bella if she keeps it up, although hubbie said this morning she did respond to 'leave it' and dropped a fish carcass (gross) someone had carelessly discarded on the beach........great for attracting crocs :cry:

Go to obiedience classes to teach your dog general obiedience including a word Come.

The problem is that whatever the world offers is obviusly more iteresting to the dog than you are, hence the dog goes exploring. If the dog would know that you are fun, love, food etc any time would stay closer to you.

So in order to achieve this you have to develop a bond with your dog. Make a "monkey" out of yourself play with it, jump around, run screeming and waving your hands and if your dog follows you than reward. Something very tasty, something that is only given on these extreme fun outside little trips to the park. If you just walk along how interesting are you???? where the grass smells of other dogs, sheep etc. Would you be more interesting if you had food and gave it to your dog for staying close? or if you had a favourite toy and was willing to play with it, or something to fetch? and if you were on top of this sooooo happy to do it! You bet!

Teaching your dog to say close is a long process, especially with a grown up. But it can be achieved. Your dog should be relying on ou for reasurance, so in new places automatically should stay closer, if he is not ask yourself who is the boss??

I have tought my dog by teaching the word come for starters, than on the long lead the same thing, I used a dog training classes for this, distructions of other dogs and people.

Secondly I have a release comand and I agree for my dog to go and run around free and play with others when I agree to it. After all they need to do what dogs do, not only what I say all the time.

I also used to hide. If my dog went to far away I called ONCE - come if he didn't I dissapeared. Countless times I climbed a tree, hid in the bushes, behind buildings etc. Of course you have to choose an area where you ca actually do this sort of stuff, and know that nothing will happened to your dog. There were times that I was in hiding for 10-15 minutes and watched my dog run around looking for me in panic. Believe me its a long time. And when he found me - I was over the moon, happy, playfull and full of treats to give him.

I have also driven off in my car few times. Same scenario, I called the dog ONCE, didn't come, so I got in the car and drove off. You should see the speed he followed!!!

Now I am like this old lady that you mentioned :cry: My dog walks, runs and plays with others, but looks up every so often to see where I am. When alone walking in the park or in the bush I really find it hard to hide these days.

My outings with my dog certainly do not look like I am walking along bored, checking time if its time to go back home, and the dog does what he wants (runs away exploring what he wants). We play, we jump, we have 3-5 minute training sessions, followed by more play, rolling it the grass, healing, fetch etc. I came back worn out (I have a large dog) but boy is it fun - yeah, we both love it.

Again - the most important is that you are more interesting to the dog than the rest of the world, how you achieve this? you know best what your dog likes most so provide it.

It is a long process, good luck do not give up after 6 months, it can take longer with a grown up.

;) I don't want to spend 6-12mths training my next dog a reliable recall.

I'd like the dog to understand what I meant the first few times I showed it, and then re-inforce it as we go along, to get a reliable response.

As my next dog will be going out in public alot, I need a reliable recall and would like to be able to let the dog off leash without fear of it running off if something distracted it.

I can understand for some breeds of dogs like Beagles, that this may be a harder task than for others. (depending on methods used) :clap:

How would one get a fast and reliable recall with a pup, without taking 6mths to teach it? :o

K9: whilst patience is a virtue, a dog can learn he doesnt need to come everytime if your giving him the choice to...

You need a strict consistent appraoch & you will have a good recall in a couple of weeks, worst case.

Spend the money on some good communication tools & it will be a few days.

K9: whilst patience is a virtue, a dog can learn he doesnt need to come everytime if your giving him the choice to...

Well, that's what I was genuinely wondering.. I mean.. I'd be very happy to practise practise practise all the training, and re-inforce learnt behaviours so that the dog understand what I'm asking.

;) Some methods must be faster than others I guess.

K9 - could you describe the few days method for all of us, since I think that teaching the dog to come reliably form any situation is a long process (fun on the way though) and others don't even think it is achievable.

I'd love to know how to call away a 9 month old puppy away from a play with another. And how to achieve it in 2 weeks. Certainly will help me with my next dog!

K9 - could you describe the few days method for all of us

K9: there are several methods that will give you reliable recalls in short space of time.

Things such as tyhe dogs temperament need to be evaluated first to choose a method.

I'd love to know how to call away a 9 month old puppy away from a play with another

K9: how? "here boy". ;)

It requires a temp eval, plus training over the net is the wrong way to go about things.

"here boy" made me laugh ;-) I use COME ;) or if I get the look a wave a favourite toy - that seems to do the trick as well.

I don't have a problem calling my dog, but it has certainly taken me long time to achieve this. I have a dominant large middle aged stud dog that certainly does not treat other males as good friends, they are more of a dogs breakfast :-) and becouse of this I HAD to find a method to teach my dog to come to me rather than eat the oponent, if you know what I mean.

It has taken me a while but I have no problem, just wondering how to speed it up for the next one. I know that starting this over the internet is the wrong way, but how about improving what I know already. Direct me for the future please.

Dog training classes, one on one lessons? books? other dogs? equipment? - this are the recommendations I am after.

I don't have a problem calling my dog, but it has certainly taken me long time to achieve this. I have a dominant large middle aged stud dog that certainly does not treat other males as good friends, they are more of a dogs breakfast :-) and becouse of this I HAD to find a method to teach my dog to come to me rather than eat the oponent, if you know what I mean.

K9: most of the dogs I own have been genetically bred for the highest prey drive you can find.

They still recall...

Direct me for the future please.

K9: sure This is the future ;)

Dog training classes, one on one lessons? books? other dogs? equipment? - this are the recommendations I am after.

K9: where are you located?

• 4 weeks later...

like sidoney said, a beagle will follow their nose anywhere!!! just be careful. they're not the biggest toughest dogs, so leaving to run on their own might be sorta dangerous. my parents live on 6 acres and they have both a small dog and a st. bernard. there are foxes and deer that live on their property, and the dogs have had a few run-ins with the wildlife. be careful letting your pups out. when instinct kicks in, they might run off or perhaps have a confrontation with some wild animal. i encourage you to let your babes run free, there's nothing better for them to do, but please, PLEASE be careful. and don't let them go off lead until you know that they're properly trained to come when called. also, there are some shady people around, so if your dogs are in their enclosure make sure it's locked up so no one can take your babies. :p

-melissa

My current GSD would not recall once he decided to go go go ... I would run away... care factor zero. Drive off in the car.. zero... tried the long rope, he heard it hooked on and was an angle, he heard the hook come off....zoom off he went.

His breeder one day said his mum was no different. He is now permanenlty on a lead outside of the back yard.

My rotty is completely different.... recalls beautifully and will only walk a certain radius away from me.

Differences that make them the lovely individulas they are ... I used to try and remind myself of that as the GSD tail went bouncing into the horizon :p

Good luck with this.

I have an ex pound dog who had no training but now she is perfectly behaved and her recall is about 95% (the other 5% is when she sees a friend arriving and has to go out to their car to greet them - then she is deaf to me).

I only found out how good her recall was by mistake. I was walking her and we were a few blocks from home and her collar snapped and she kept trotting beside me. She did this all the way home and when she saw another dog, a firm "Come!" from me and she just wagged her tail and didn't run off to greet the other dog. I had to be firm though in my sternest voice.

I let her off lead the other week to play with a red kelpie. They ran to the other end of the park but as soon as I said, "Millie, come!" and opened my arms, she ran as fast as her stumpy legs could take her back to me.

My friend can't do this with her spoilt little fluffy as she will just run off and up to other dogs bearing her teeth. Her dog is just a horror in that sense and she can't let her off leash anywhere. Last time she did, little fluffy ran up to a boxer and hung off its neck. The boxer thought it a game and chased her all the way home - the only time her recall was perfect :p

Edited by Ripley

• 2 weeks later...

Six weeks later and we are making some progress. When the back door is opened the dogs don't bolt out, they follow me out and wander about on the patio until I get their ropes clipped on. Their ropes are 10 metres long. When the ropes are on, they tend to stay close by, they seem to know that this is required. Sometimes they start wandering off a bit too far, and I have had to chase after the end of the rope, but only a couple of times at the beginning. They are reasonably reliable. If I'm busy weeding and they keep disappearing off then the end of the rope is looped over the fence so I can get on. Trouble is with 10 metres, it's very easy for them to get themselves wrapped around trees! It is also painful if the rope wraps itself around your ankle and the dog runs off after a ball :D Still the rope trick seems to be working so far.

The dogs are better behaved on the lawn than they are if we go out for a walk through the trees at the back of the block. There are just too many smells and distractions and they go deaf. I do not intend letting them off their ropes in this area until we can get the fence mended. I have managed to keep the dogs close to me while just on the patio and lawn, without any leads. Just for 5 minutes or so at the moment and I always have tasty treats on me (raw sausages do the trick nicely). On a couple of occasions, the kids have taken the dogs out the back door to go for a wee, but haven't got their leads clipped on quickly enough and the dogs have run off chasing each other. The kids have panicked, but each time I have yelled "come" the dogs have returned (phew). We have put a large bell up outside the back door and the dogs associate that with "come". We practised with the bell before we moved house, as I knew that it would come in handy rather than losing my voice trying to call them in from a distance of a few hundred metres away. The kids come running too, saves me shouting "dinner" so loud that the rest of the street hears!

Edited by BeagleMum