How Do I Teach My Dogs To Stay Close By, Always?

I've always admired those people I've seen out and about walking their dogs off-leash, where the dog always remains within a few feet of its owner, never running off or being distracted by other dogs. Do some dogs just naturally never want to leave their owner's side? Or have the owners spent a long time training them to be like this?

We have just moved to a property on 5 acres. People keep commenting how lucky for the dogs to have all that free space to run around in. We have two Beagles; a male aged 14 months and a female aged 8 months. Previously they were walked around the block daily on a lead - not too bad walking at heel, but easily distracted and I wouldn't dare let them off because of the traffic.

Our boundary fence at the new house isn't all that good - just the cheap, not very high, post and rail type with three sides having wire and one side not yet finished. Toby has escaped once but luckily got no further than next door. My husband has built them their own enclosure next to the house so they can have some freedom, but it would be really great to let them run freely around the block, without the added expense of new fencing or containment systems. I want the dogs to just be able to roam about when I'm in the garden, but always be within watching/calling distance. If they followed me like a shadow, that would be great!

At the moment I am keeping them on a long lead whenever we're out in the garden, and dropping the lead and letting them run a little way with it trailing on the ground. If they go too far, I can step on it. I keep calling them back to me and they get a treat for coming. But often they are so busy sniffing something they just go deaf to my "come" command. I know that if they spot a wild rabbit or some other wildlife out there, they will both be off like a shot!

Can anyone give me any useful tips for training them? I want to enjoy the 5 acres without worrying about the dogs' whereabouts! I want visitors to be able to come and go through the back door without us all panicking if they accidently let the dogs out! How long should I expect to obtain results if I practise training daily? They are still pups, so now really is the best time to sort it out really, but I don't feel like I'm making much progress.

I dont have any answers but I would be very interested in this.

Bayley (11 month old Amstaff) doesnt have very good recall but Lucy (6 month old maltese x shih tzu) does. Lucy has no formal training (other than the little I do with her at home) because all training at the moment is devoted to Bayley. I think there is a certain amount of "natural" wanting to be near you (Lucy is quite a fearful dog so this may contribute) but I'm sure that dogs can be trained.

K9: you can teach a "far enough" command that will end up with your dog staying within a few feet of you.

There are several ways to do it, one is to let your dogs have the use of a 30 ft tracking line, let the dog use it all & more for 15 mins, then when your within grabbing distance of the end, pick it up & watch for the dog to run out of leash, just before it does, call "far enough" & the dog will hit the end of the leash.

A few reps will see the dog not be so keen to get far away from you.

We have one of those people near us A lovely old lady who owns a GSD and SWF who go a few paces ahead stop look back and keep going she doesnt say a word to them i am very jealous and i am now training Nova something of what K9 suggested getting very good too

Can't really help with the training aspect either as we had one of those dogs who seemd to have a 50 metre radar to us, even in the bush. He was a mini schnauzer, raised in Sydney but we have a similar size property to yours in the central tablelands. No decent fences, but Darcy just seemed to know to stay within the limits of the property. Even when I let him our early in the morning for his first sniff of the day, he would just do the boundary run and then come back in (usually with frosty whiskers!) and 'ask' me to take him for a proper walk.

While out walking in the bush, he was even great with wildlife - would stop still, quiver with excitement and occasionally chase (pretend) a kangaroo, but never bark, so I could still enjoy a walk with him and see the animals. The only time I put him back on a lead was if we saw a wombat, as they can kill a dog by crushing them in their burrow.

Now we are in the process of choosing another dog and even though they are definitely not a 'bush' dog, it is hard to go past another schnauzer for us. He used to have his 'backward' bark with the cows - bark and jump backwards just in case. Such a wuzz.

Sorry for the ramble but your post brought back such wonderful memories of my baby. :rolleyes:

You have to remember breed dispositions too. While my ACD used to trail along at my heels, and never go off, fenced or not, my Vizslas prefer to range much further during our walks unless I have told them to stay close, and although they have excellent recalls, they are also much more likely to go off hunting if I'm not around and they have the opportunity (this was an issue when I lived near the bush, not so much now that I am in the 'burbs).

K9: you can teach a "far enough" command that will end up with your dog staying within a few feet of you.

There are several ways to do it, one is to let your dogs have the use of a 30 ft tracking line, let the dog use it all & more for 15 mins, then when your within grabbing distance of the end, pick it up & watch for the dog to run out of leash, just before it does, call "far enough" & the dog will hit the end of the leash.

A few reps will see the dog not be so keen to get far away from you.

K9 what is another way?

I would like to have a wonderful dog walk beside or a few feet infront also. Shelby has barged passed me at the front door, and not returned, just kept on running...

The 30ft rope would be miles away for me to grab :)

She walks OK on a leash, but just wants to go go go

I always put it down to insecurity with my rescue dogs. Take 'em down the park and they trot a few feet in front and keep looking round to make sure you're still there... I have had 2 like this. I had one who wouldn't have come back ever to save her life (JRT cross) but I didn't let her off once I discovered this. Fred gets about 20 metres away on occasion, then scurries back. Some just don't like letting you out of their sight.

So I guess I'm saying - some are naturals but it depends on their conditioning and disposition. None of mine had had any prior obedience (or so it seemed).

Being beagles, they can be one of the hardest dogs to train to heel. Remember that they are bred to use their noses, and have one of the best senses of smell in any dog. This means they are very easily ditracted when on heel. Just look at them at the airport runnin all over the place sniffin anything they can!!

You could teach heel (assuming you know how) and add distractions gradually over time. Move slowly, add different levels of distractions gradually, and always treat and reinforce. Then when reliable you can wean off the treats.

However its not very reasonable to expect your dog to be next to you ALL the time. Think about it from the dogs point of view. Its not very exciting having to stay in a 4 foot circle around you when there are so man exciting smells to investigate (again with the beagles amazing sense of smell!!)

good luck. I suggest you buy a good training book if you dont already have one as they can have very good tip[s on things like this :)

K9's advice in using a long line to teach a dog to stay nearby is how I am teaching my 12month GSP to stay nearby... I'd happily use a remote collar as I've heard people have a great rate of success with them, but not in my budget (this week anyway) :)

K9's advice on using a long line works well with our Bella a 5 1/2 month old ACD .

She has an instant recall with hubbie, but with me it's "like, in a minute ok!"

So I have been using a long line (washing line) on the beach with her, but instead of words I use whistle commands , just a short one for "come" and a high long one if she doesn't hurry up.

I should add that I did use words to go along with the whistles until she got the idea then withdrew the voice commands.

I'm still not confident enough to let her off lead , but she responds very well ,so it won't be long .

Having said that I just recalled that a while back there was a topic on how your voice affects commands etc, I have lowered my voice and slowed down my commands and it works !

2 tones , 1 for commands, 1 for praise etc. Don't know if that is correct but it's working so far :(

It's worth a try , and it's fun standing there trying to roll up 30 meters of washing line , not :D

Breed + temperament + environment = behaviour

Our first dobe and the present one would/will not leave the property unless with us.

The first knew the boundaries even WITHOUT any fences.

The second Dobe would stick around us and the property until he found wheels to chase - total obsession - fortunately we had fences by then.

The Weimaraner was hopeless - very well trained, obedience and all - would hang around and be really well behaved - until she knew our minds had wandered - busy with something - and she would be off - in spite of the fences - had to install and electric fence to kep HER in. she was totally useless - could never find her way back in the same way she went out - even if it was an open gate! But she never went far.

cheers

Guest goldie_girl

Hi

Just thought I'd add my bit to an interesting discussion! We live on a farm and have always had house dogs that are never tied up and have no problems with them wandering very far from the house. Maybe just lucky? It may have helped to have started with one very loyal dog (actually a working kelpie sheepdog) who never budged without either my husband or myself with her, and then she's helped train the others. She's passed on to the next dog (JRT) who was her pal for many years and is much the same...

Thinking along these lines (the JRT is 13 and wont be around many more moons me thinks) I recently got a GR pup who is hopefully following his example.She is 7mths old now and I have not seen her outside our garden fence ( a bit like yours...not at all dog proof!) without a human companion.

When I take her on walks (the JRT rarely gets further than the back gate these days) she stays pretty much close by, except if she spies a bird or something and then she's off! She's getting the hang of recall pretty well now and will stop and think about it as soon as I call....sometimes she comes back first call! When I first started walking her through the paddocks and bush, I always kept a supply of doggy treats in my pocket and rewarded her when I called her back...do this often to start with and think ahead ...if you know a distraction is coming up...get in first!

She is now learning to "wait" for me if she runs ahead too far. Sometimes she'll stop and lay down til I catch up! I still throw in a "Come!" every so often to ensure she comes back as well.

Like all young ones...she's still very much open to mistakes and mischief...but we are getting somewhere... I think!

Again...I have heard that Beagles can be notoriously hard to keep in tow due to their extremely strong tracking instincts. But good luck anyway....persistance and consistancy should win out ! :cry:

Sorry to disappoint you all but there is nothing you can do about this .

Beagles put their noses down and go. They dont hear you or see you. If they are scenting they will actually head - but a post if whatever it is has gone that way.

I give this lecture to everyone that asks about owning a beagle and many come back telling me how their dogs are different and they can relax that they wont roam. Ive had one in the last 12 months who rang to tell me all about Ralph and his accomplishments at obedience and his list of medals he had received because of it. I tried to say how wonderful BUT you still cant trust him off a leash but to no avail. Ralph was run over and killed about 3 months ago.

Over the past 30 years I would say that one out of every 2 litters is lost or runover. The owners are shattered and tell me they feel like they let me down but its the dogs they let down. During this time Ive tried any number of training methods but you can never over ride the natural instinct. Some will lull you into a false sense of security and you think all is well and then the nose gets interested and off they go.

All breeds have their own management issues and this is it for beagles. They always come home sometimes days later IF they arent killed along the way. They dont hear cars or see them.

The only way you can do something about this is to build secure fencing .

I live on 2500 acres and around the house we have fencing thats only 3 feet high but it has concrete all around it so the little horrors cant dig out. We also use large fenced pen areas when we arent around to keep an eye on what they are up to.

If you are going to keep your beagles ,there is no option but to build better fencing. No amount of training will ever ensure they stay with you. EVER .

S:

If you are going to keep your beagles ,there is no option but to build better fencing. No amount of training will ever ensure they stay with you. EVER .

K9: My reading of the thread has me thinking that the goal is to have the dogs not stray far on a walk? Rather than not escape?

Regardless of the breed, yes including Beagles, this can be taught & quite successfully at that.

When a dog goes into high scent drive, its not different to high prey drive, except for the fact that scent drive / hunt drive if you like requires more focus than prey drive does in their raw (instinctual forms).

When we observe a dog on a sent, we are watching the dog carry out a motor pattern that is genetically implanted, an interuptor placed at the first leg of the pattern will quite successfully extinguish the drive or refocus it onto something else.

Sorry K9 I read it that the lady wanted her dogs to stay by her side when they were in the garden and that one had already escaped. Ive no doubt based on your knowledge and experience that what you are saying is correct and over the years Ive had many that actually almost had me fooled into believing that I could [within reason ]Trust em. But Ill take some convincing that you could ever really trust the method to work every time.

Im not saying its not possible but its a hell of a hard ask.

As a breeder it would be nice to be able to send my pups home with a method of training that would prevent them taking off so I could tell new owners they dont need good fencing or vigilance if they used a certain method but Id much rather tell em they need good fences and to never ever walk em off leash. Too scary.