Barf Patties

zekelucas

which isnt too fussed on the mince I am giving her and she was fed barf patties while she was with the litter. :(

Are you just feeding mince? Please please please don't as meat (phosphorus) without bones (calcium) can cause horrible damage to a growing puppy.

If you can't get the BARF patties get some minced up chicken carcusses (some times called puppy mince or pet mince but make sure it is both bones and meat) from your local chicken shop or butcher and feed this instead of plain minced meat.

What else are you feeding?

If you plan to feed a BARF diet then you should also add some food processed vegtables, fruit, eggs including shells and even yoghurt to the chicken carcus mince.

A growing puppy should be fed 10% of it's body weight split up into either two or three meals a day. The pug pups I just raised from 7 weeks to 5 months were getting two meals a day of the chicken carcuss mince mixed with my BARF veggie/fruit slops and yoghurt and their other meal consisted of a raw meaty bone. (I used lamb bones as they are soft enough for the pups to be able to eat the meat and the bone which is important)

Guest june.andnovas

EVERYONE needs this book

Real Food For Dogs and Cats by Claire Middle.

brought it yesterday and it's amazing. everything and anything possible to do with raw feeding. the nutritional benefits of foods, what to feed, what NOT to feed, how much and sooo much more. it's a small book but packed full of information to make raw feeding a piece of cake!

at this stage you can only get it in Perth but I'm happy to post a few to the eastern states. PM me if you would like one. It has only just been released so I'm not too sure when it will be on sale in the East.

they retail for $16.50. worth every cent.

I feed Eukanuba Large breed puppy aswell and natural yoghurt butshe started off eating so well and then went off her food. I gave her a chicken neck this morning and she loved it so I was going to give her some of those, are these ok to give a 10wk ols pup though??

EVERYONE needs this book

Real Food For Dogs and Cats by Claire Middle.

brought it yesterday and it's amazing. everything and anything possible to do with raw feeding. the nutritional benefits of foods, what to feed, what NOT to feed, how much and sooo much more. it's a small book but packed full of information to make raw feeding a piece of cake!

at this stage you can only get it in Perth but I'm happy to post a few to the eastern states. PM me if you would like one. It has only just been released so I'm not too sure when it will be on sale in the East.

they retail for $16.50. worth every cent.

Haven't seen it but it sounds like another one to add to the library! :( PMing you.

Edited by poodlefan

You can make your own BARF patties pretty easily. My pup loves these. We use Kangaroo mince which is high in protein and low in fat. She gets patties in the morning and chicken necks or wings at night.

This recipe makes about 10 patties.

2-3 eggs (shells & all into blender first)

2 Garlic cloves

Any assortment of fruit & vegetables, including banana, apple, peas (frozen thawed are good), cabbage, carrots, broccoli, spinach celery etc etc. (NO onion, which is toxic)

Combine this veggie ‘mush’ with:

2 cups pre-cooked quick porridge oats (or cooked rice/pasta)

Small carton yoghurt (100g)

Flax seed oil (is best) or olive oil 2-3 dsrt spns

Kelp powder 2-3 teasps

Vitamins B (Brewers yeast) & C (calcium ascorbinate) –1tblspn each

(These are both non-toxic & any excess is excreted via the urine).

Apple Cider Vinegar, 2-3 dsrt spns

Honey, 2 dsrt spns

Mix thoroughly with 1kg of chicken or lean meat mince.

You can make your own BARF patties pretty easily. My pup loves these. We use Kangaroo mince which is high in protein and low in fat. She gets patties in the morning and chicken necks or wings at night.

2 Garlic cloves

Any assortment of fruit & vegetables, including banana, apple, peas (frozen thawed are good), cabbage, carrots, broccoli, spinach celery etc etc. (NO onion, which is toxic)

Combine this veggie ‘mush’ with:

Kelp powder 2-3 teasps

Honey, 2 dsrt spns

The patties need bone it it. You will notice in the brand name BARF patties that they have bone it it. Again I say TO FEED MEAT WITHOUT BONE CAN CAUSE LOTS OF HEALTH PROBLEMS. Use the chicken carcuss mince (puppy mince/dog mince), which has bone in it. Also ditch the quick porridge oats or cooked rice/pasta as dogs do not need this, it's not natural for them to eat, and grains cause alot of skin problems in dogs. Alot of the time people change to a BARF diet to get away from grains and to fix their dogs skin problems. The veggies should consist of alot of green leafy ones.

Edited by puggy_puggy

I feed Eukanuba Large breed puppy aswell and natural yoghurt butshe started off eating so well and then went off her food. I gave her a chicken neck this morning and she loved it so I was going to give her some of those, are these ok to give a 10wk ols pup though??

Cut them into smaller pieces so that she can still chew on them but if she swallows without chewing she wont choke on them.

If you want to feed a BARF diet and want to make it yourself please please please do some reading on what to feed and how to feed. You can make alot of mistakes by just chucking your dog a bit of meat and a few veggies. Search on this forum, google, read books.

This is the diet I raised two foster pug puppies on from the age of 7 weeks to 5 months. Their new owner continues to feed the same.

--------------------------------------

PUPPY BARF DIET INFO

• Currently being feed approximately 10% of their body weight divided up into 3 meals a day. As they get older this should be cut back with them getting fed 2% to 3% of their body weight in either two or one meal a day when they are adults. If you see that they are getting to fat then cut the percentage back. Meat and bones should make up approx 80% of the diet 20% veggies, yoghurt etc.

• Breakfast & Dinner consist of Puppy mince (minced chicken carcasses), Barf veggie slops & full fat yoghurt. I will prepare a bowl of it in the morning mixing together the mince, veggie slops and yoghurt. Once or twice a week I have been adding sardines to their food & once a week offal. You could add other things like kangaroo & beef from time to time but it is important that the bone to meat ratio remains ok. Lunch consists of a small meaty bone, usually a lambs bone due to them being soft enough to eat both the meat and the bone fully.

• Lennard’s sells the Puppy mince/ chicken mince which they have been fed on. It is made up of minced chicken carcasses. If you have to source the mince from somewhere else make sure it contains meat as well as the minced bones. It is important that dogs when dogs are fed meat that they also have the right ratio of bone with it to balance out nutritional needs. If dogs are fed meat without bones then serious health problems can occur.

• Please supervise bone time just in case they choke.

---------------------------------

BARF SLOPS INGREDIENTS & METHOD

Things I always include:

- container of alfala spouts

- bunch of spinach (roots cut off)

- 1 to 2 green capsicums (stalk cut off & seeds out)

- 1 to 2 red caspsicums (stalk cut off & seeds removed)

- bag of carrots

- bunch of celary

- 4 zuccinis

- 3 to 4 oranges (peeled)

- 1 pumpkin (seeds removed)

- 2 to 4 apples (pips taken out)

- 2 to 4 bannanas (peeled)

- 8 to 10 eggs (whole including shell)

- flaxseed oil (approx 250mL)

- kelp (approx 100g)

What else you can put in:

- bunch of silverbeet

- turnip

- squash

- sweet potato

- 2 to 4 pears

- half to 1 pinapple

- brussel sprouts

- brocoli

- cauliflower

- bag of beans

- Apple Cider Vinegar

- Vitamin C

Chop up then process up in blender/food processor so that things turn to slops. Put each blender batch into a big bucket. Usually leave the eggs & flaxseed oil for things that don't blend very well like the pumpkin and carrots. Ingredients should fill up a bucket. Mix bucket with big ladel till all mixed through then put into take away containers & freeze untill needed.

2 Garlic cloves

Combine this veggie 'mush' with:

Kelp powder 2-3 teasps

Honey, 2 dsrt spns

The patties need bone it it. You will notice in the brand name BARF patties that they have bone it it. Again I say TO FEED MEAT WITHOUT BONE CAN CAUSE LOTS OF HEALTH PROBLEMS. Use the chicken carcuss mince (puppy mince/dog mince), which has bone in it. Also ditch the quick porridge oats or cooked rice/pasta as dogs do not need this, it's not natural for them to eat, and grains cause alot of skin problems in dogs. Alot of the time people change to a BARF diet to get away from grains and to fix their dogs skin problems. The veggies should consist of alot of green leafy ones.

The pattie mix only makes up 30-40% of her diet and the other 70% is chicken necks/wings so she is still getting the bone. Just in another format. I thought it was important to keep things varied? Please correct me if I am wrong. I've done loads of reading on this but it's one of those areas where you just keep on learning new things!

The pattie mix only makes up 30-40% of her diet and the other 70% is chicken necks/wings so she is still getting the bone. Just in another format. I thought it was important to keep things varied? Please correct me if I am wrong. I've done loads of reading on this but it's one of those areas where you just keep on learning new things!

I if she is getting the chicken necks/ wings then I probably would be using some other sort of meat other then chicken ie beef, kanagroo, lamb in the patties for variety and not to much of it.

Does anyone know of where I get these from, I live on the southside of Brisbane. Just have got a ten week old puppy which isnt too fussed on the mince I am giving her and she was fed barf patties while she was with the litter. :(

All of the Petcafe's in my area sell them.If you're willing to travel to the Northside you can get them straight from the manufacturer: http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/barfpatties.htm

Does anyone know of where I get these from, I live on the southside of Brisbane. Just have got a ten week old puppy which isnt too fussed on the mince I am giving her and she was fed barf patties while she was with the litter. :(

All of the Petcafe's in my area sell them.If you're willing to travel to the Northside you can get them straight from the manufacturer: http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/barfpatties.htm

They are a LOT cheaper from the manufacturer if you can make it up there - you just have to buy 4 or more *BOXES* of the patties.... I wish I had room in my freezer for that many!!!

edited cos I can't write/type enlish

Edited by Papi_Searcher