Washing Dogs (can It Be Too Often)

ClareL

Hi i have to inside dogs and they both like to jump all over and mouth (bite but no teeth if you know what i mean) each other which has been fine but it makes one of the dogs very smelly which saliva all over him. I would like to bath them every saturday but i was told if you bath dogs too much it can give them dandruff?

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can wash them too often.. because detergent based shampoos strip the coat of oil and can make skin and hair dry. That may cause skin to flake but a lot of scurf issues are caused by not fulling rinsing out shampoo.

If you need to bath your dogs very regularly, I'd be looking at using a very mild shampoo with a decent conditioner or a dash of coat oil. You can also get conditioning shampoo.

Puppy shampoos tend to be very mild and most shampoos can be diluted.

I'd try for no more than once a fortnight but no one wants to live with a smelly dog! :wave:

you can buy pet wipes togive them a quick spruce, but if you were to be using these daily I'm not sure if it might cause an issue. Maybe see if you can find some specifically gentle ones and try to avoid the skin?

Alternatively - a damp cloth, just with water on it, and a spray once a week with a decent quality pet perfume.

Come to think of it - plush puppy have an odour control spray that smells really good but isn't harsh!

Thanks I dont think spraying him with odour things will help as his fur gets clumpy (he is maltese X jack russel i think maybe some pom too) the other dog is a staffordshire bull terrier but just using water and a cloth might help so i'll give that a go.

Thanks

I wash my dogs weekly. Always have, always probably will. I have never, ever, ever had a dog with dry flaky skin or any problems with coats. Every rescue that comes in is also washed weekly while they are with me. Again, never, ever, ever a problem.

I am sure that harsh shampoos, dogs with sensitive skin, or different types of coat or dogs with poor coat condition, or poor health overall will see issues with frequent washing though.

Use a good quality, gentle shampoo and rinse, rinse and rinse again and you'll be fine. :wave:

My dogs are washed weekly for shows along with hundreds of others. Never done them any harm.

Always use TOP quality shampoo and conditioner. Rinse the dogs well. If you want to use a human shampoo and conditioner also make sure it is of the very best quality. I pay nothing under $30 for a 500 ml bottle of shampoo and a similar price for conditioner.

When I'm actively campaigning a dog they're bathed weekly, sometimes twice weekly. If I'm not showing they normally have a maintenance bath every couple of weeks, three at the most. Providing you use top quality shampoo and conditioner it doesn't do any harm at all.

We have always washed out dogs weekly but we don't use shampoo. They get the Fido Fre-Itch Rinse in the hydrobath. We have never had a problem with flakey skin.

If anything the regular hydrobath keeps their skin clean and problem free ... just imagine rolling in dirty every day and not taking a bath for weeks on end.

My Shih Tzus get bathed every 5 days and my poodles every 7-10 days atm. Never had a problem, i use good quality dog shampoo and conditioner (actually i have even be converted to human stuff on the Tzus with very good reults). I have many clients dogs also who have been comming in once a week for a bath for many years now without ever a problem.

I say bath your dog once a week he will be fine and he will look and smell great :rofl:

I was always told that bathing them too often is bad for their skin - i would say it probably is if you use some of the crazy things that people use (washing powder, washing up liquid or even sard wonder soap flakes! :rofl: ) but if you use a good shampoo and make sure you rinse rinse rinse, i'm sure you won't have a problem!

I can't wait to get my hydrobath so it'll be easier to bath Zero every couple of weeks!