My Puppy Is Having Trouble Breathing

puakenikeni

:)

I just come back to work after dropping home to visit my little baby and she is sick.. I have to take her to the vet at 4pm today but i started crying when i was on the phone to the surgery!!

She is having trouble breathing.. and i felt around her neck and she has a lump at the front of her throat.. when i touched it she closed her eyes and i dont think it hurt when i pressed on it.

She did a poo this morning after i left for work - it was normal but had a jelly like substance in it too.

She is wheezing but last night she coughed... and she coughed again when i was home. Her eyes are watery too.

I am so worried about her... she is my first pet/puppy. She is a 15 week old Pom. She has been drinking a little bit of water and immediately after drinking her breathing isnt as laboured but then it starts sounding really tight again...

I dont know what it could be.. shes due for her 16 week shot next week.. I wormed her sunday and she was fine this morning [no hard breathing]..

Im so worried...... :)

Is somebody with your pup at the moment? She may have been bitten by a bee.

I came home from work when my pup was 12 weeks old and one side of his face was hugely swollen. He'd obviously taken a snap at it and it stung the inside of his mouth. He needed an antihistamine shot.

Don't mean to alarm you, and hopefully if it was a bite the worst is over, but I would be concerned if he was having trouble breathing.

I don't know where you are but ring the vet again and tell him how worried you are.

If he is still not seeing you till tomorrow do you have a pet emergency centre near you.

You will find them in the yellow pages or take her to a 24hr vet or another vet who will see you now.

Good luck

Hi everyone

Thanks for your concern and well wishes....

Toohey: Thankfully my husband is at home with her. His "weekend" is Monday and Tuesday. hes been given strict orders to keep his eyeballs and all his attention on her until i get home.

LB: Yeah im going in to see the Vet at 4pm this afternoon [in around 40 minutes]

Will let you all know what the prognosis is... I hope its nothing serious... When i went home for lunch i cradled her in my arms and tears just streamed down my face. I looked up and my husband was blubbering away as well. *trying not to get too worried/upset or i'll start bawling and i havent even finished work yet*

Thanks again...

will keep you up to date with what the vet finds!!

Ps - Sorry.. but do you think im being melodramatic? I started crying here at work [i couldnt contain it] and when people found out i was crying coz my puppy was sick they looked at me like "wtf?!?!". I felt like saying "screw you asssssshole." :) It pings me off when people say "its only a DOG for gods sake"..... [but thats another post... :) ]

I hope everything is OK?????

I dont think you are being melodramatic at all - I would have taken her to the vets there and then and made them see to her.

Only a dog - only your friend!!!!

It is always a dreadful when things happened to our furry friends.

I really hope that it is something that can be dealt with and fixed!!!

(Could she have swalled something that got stuck???)

Please let us know when you can what happened, what is wrong with her and how she is....................Good Luck!!!

Edited by Ci

I hope everything is fine and dandy with your puppy and that it was nothing...we are waiting for you to tell us that all is well in your house hold...and No you aren't being melodractic at all..they are so dear to us they are family no matter what...

Update on Kiara

Hi everyone and thanks for your well wishes. Makes me feel heaps better. :(

Ok... took the baby to the vet and he examined her. Told me everything was pretty normal [i even took a stool sample for them to analyse]. Vet told me the jelly like stuff in her poo was probably the last of the worming tablets doing its thing.

Kiara was alert [she even managed to bark at the gorgeous Samoyed's that arrived at the vets the same time we did]...

He took her temperature and it was ok..

He checked her throat etc.. said it didnt appear to have anything stuck in there per se...

He told me that it appears she has a chest/respiratory infection which is irritating the walls of her throat.

He gave me some pills - Clavulox and Aminophylline tablets to give her.

Said to watch her for the next 24-48 hours and get back to them....

She has taken her tablets and drunk a little bit of water - hasnt eaten since this morning though - ive been trying to coax her with some softish food but she only licks it then loses interest. Her breathing is not as wheezy now [because she is napping] but i am going to keep an eye on her. I dont think i will be able to sleep tonight...

Heres hoping the worst of it is over... it kills me looking at her little face. Its almost like shes saying "Mum.. Im sick". Poor baby.

Thanks again you guys... you're all really great.

Thankyou guys for the wellwishes. Kiara is coming along in leaps and bounds. *hah* And to think that last night i believed she was going to die... im such a worry wart/stress head when it comes to her. :cry:

No more wheezing. Her aunts have been here taking care of her while mummy and daddy have been at work *thank GOD for little brothers and sisters & school holidays ehh* :mad

Her appetite seems to have returned to normal.. but im still feeding her softish food.

My baby seems to be well on the road to recovery..

While she was sick i just kept thinking about all those people with very sick puppies/dogs. Hopefully everyones babies are all fighting fit and thanks again for all your concern.

Saane & Kiara