Rodney Is Sick

Jey

Hi,

Rodney is not well. He's vomited a white foamy puddle, twice in about 2 hours. He'll drink but not eat. Very restless, but also lethargic. Definitely not himself. Hasn't got into any poisons to my knowledge.

Vet was going to make an appointment but I asked if it was okay to monitor. She said yes but call back if no improvement or gets worse.

Should I go to the vet?

Would you go to the vet if this was your dog?

Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance.

Update: Took him to vet after he threw up a few hours later after a little bit of cooked veg and rice.

His temp is fine and she said it's most likely mild gastro or mild pancreatitis.

He got an antibiotic shot and a few days worth of tablets.

No dinner or walkies tonight and small meals of cooked chicken breast and brown rice for a few days starting in the morn.

Edited by Jey

I called them earlier. She asked me a few questions. The answers of which I posted in my OP. Vet was going to make an appointment for this arvo but I asked if it was okay to monitor. She said yes but call back if no improvement or gets worse

Yep. Cancelling plans this evening.

Tense couple of hours!

I thought 'You wouldn't take a person with those symptoms to the doctor'. But a dog can't tell you where it hurts and if they've eaten anything naughty. That's why I was seeking opinions.

Furthermore, the dog doesn't have medicare!

But yep, will definitely take him if he worsens.

Seems back to normal. I don't think he's pooed, but may have - I didn't inspect the yard thoroughly.

I'll keep an eye on that and I'm sure we're both looking forward to getting back to BARF foods on Wednesday.

Jey - if it is mild pancreatitis (which could have been confirmed with bloods) then I would be speaking to your vet about diet. After a dog develops pancreatitis diet is critical and you need to become the food police.

Why did the vet think pancreatitis?

I know! BARF is hard enough and new to us so it will be a challenge to change again.

If I was to organise a blood test on Tuesday, would it be too late? I should of got one. I was very stressed and tired and the vet said you have option 'blah', which we took, or bloodtest and we keep him in overnight on fluid. I assumed that would be oodles more expensive so went for the first one.

I didn't think to say 'can we have a bloodtest and take the anti-biotics home with us too?'.

She said pancreatitis because he had signs of pain in his upper chest area.

Angs had pancreatitis before he passed away and the signs were jaundice (esp in the whites of eyes), pale gums, bright yellow urine, listlessness etc and also confirmed by the blood levels. He did not have the vomitting. The treatment for him was fasting for 48 hours and on a drip in the vets and also anticbiotics.

Only your vet can advise on the blood test now.

http://www.vetstop.com.au/Info/Pancreatit.asp