How Many Dolers Feed BARF As A Result Of DOL?

Ciara

Have you changed to BARF because of info received on DOL?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Have you changed to BARF because of info received on DOL?

• Yes, I now feed BARF to my dogs as a result of learning about it on DOL
    • I knew of BARF before coming to the forum
    • I now incorporate BARF with commercial food as a result of this forum
    • No, I already knew about BARF

:mad Third time lucky *crosses fingers*

It might be interesting to know how many people now feed their dogs BARF as a result of knowledge gained by all the informative DOL members? :laugh:

Seems that alot of newbies to the forum ask about it, and I was just wondering how many dogs are now thriving on BARF as a result of the information gained from this forum.

:cry:

We always used a mix of both....for example the rescue doggies had last night:

Kibble, three of them had an extremely large turkey drumstick, others had mixed chicken pieces (wings, drumsticks etc) and finally the remainder had lamb off cuts (meat and bones)...

Generally they have kibble and chicken mince...sometimes with pasta, rice and veges...

Mel

I voted "No, I already knew about BARF", but I have only recently switched to it (in July) and it was as a result of reading about it on another dog forum and asking people there about it, and researching it for myself on the internet. I only found this forum after I was already onto raw feeding.

But I was converted from another forum, not this one, so it's close! Same sort of thing, but different place!

I already knew about barf when researching for harves..I fed him a raw diet for months then i got lazy but now back on raw food and bones (i wouldn't call what i feed him stricly BARF though) chicken mince and vege. He also gets a little dry food.

He loves it now.

:o there there salli *pats you on the back* you tried.

I knew about BARF from my puppy school teacher (wrote the 'prey animal' artical that used to be posted on some threads) but didn't actually change until I found out more information, bought the book and used this forum ;)

Been feeding it for years.

My Italian grandmother always feed her animals everything they and we ate so thats what our family has always done.

(Except the cats have always seemed to get a mixture of both canned and BARF)

Sometimes my mum will get lazy and buy canned food (very rare though) - good luck getting the dogs to eat it!!!! ;)

Edited by Ci

I knew nothing about BARF.

I did know that my Dad gives Leo PAL and it's GROSS!!!!! (But he also gets lots of raw bones and leftovers too). I wondered what I would feed my pup when I got him. I assumed just whatever I was feeding myself... Just meat offcuts, pasta, rice etc. It would have been cooked though.

Then I came here and found out about BARF. Read up on the net about what veggies to feed etc. My pup was eating raw chicken pet mince and Supercoat Puppy at the breeders. Now he eats mostly human grade beef mince, tuna, chicken or turkey mince, mixed with veggies. He LOVES it. Especially the beef mince, chicken mince is now his least favourite!! I also give him chicken necks for lunch and he always has a bowl of Supercoat Puppy around when he wants to munch. I find I can get away with using these as treats for training...even if the bowl is right next to me!! (Aahh the trust of a puppy!)

i feed a mizture of bark and comercial. I diddnt know hardly anything about dogs before i came here (except that i really loved em). Now i bore my friends with lectures about how they shouldnt let their dog do this.. or do that... now instead of walking past a pet shop with dogs in the window thinking 'oh i want to buy one' i walk past a pet shop descusted by how they are suplied by puppy mills. :o I guess i've learnt a lot since i came to this forum. Thanx every1 ;)

My boy gets a mix of BARF, kibble and left overs. He never really got those huge beef bones as he'd eat the ends off them and leave them around the yard for me to trip over when doing poo patrol. But he'd regularly get brisket bones, tongue, lamb flaps, all the kinds of stuff that he could eat entirely. Also when making up soups and stews he would get his own made up from the scraps and stuff which he loved. But he still gets kibble when i'm running late or am being particularly lazy...or as a treat when i toss a bundle up in the air and he has to track them all down...lol...he loves it when i do that ;)

Kit

I feed a mixture, still plenty of raw bones, I just switched the BARF patties with Natures Gift. I learned all about the diet here though, and am glad that I do feed plenty of raw bones. I was running out of freezer space, and its a lot easier to buy the commercial food, then to make it myself and not leave anything out. After learning as much as I have here I did not want to go to Pal or some other cheap food, I heard about Natures Gift here, and thought I would give it a go, and the dogs are loving it and doing really well. :eek::laugh: So all happy here! :rofl:

I have been feeding raw meaty bones with good quality dry food for 30 years, before BARF, but am now rethinking the whole bone thing.

Last night we sat on the floor at the vet's, with our dog on a drip for 2 hours, waiting for him to show any sign of recovery - he had a piece of raw bone lodge in his throat earlier that day, and ended up with a massive infection, respiratory distress and nearly died. The bill has come to almost $600, and he now needs nursing and medication for some time. There is nothing like watching an animal suffer such excruciating pain and distress to make you feel incredibly guilty for having put him in that position.