Beau's Burn

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I would start a post to update Beau's progress.

Some of you might remember my posts about how this happened, for this who don't here is a quick run down:

Beau is a show dog, we sent him to a vet to have X-rays taken of his hips for scoring.

A couple of days later he came up in a strange spot on his flank, it was very sore, raw flesh, skin missing - all in all very nasty.

After 3 weeks the cet clinic admitted fault, (it turns out he was burnt by a hot water bottle filled with boiling water) they refunded our money and will continue to treat Beau until he is healed.

The principal vet has been great, she has been doing exactly what we require and has been checking on Beau regularly.

I am waiting to see how the burn will heal, obviously he is out of the ring ATM, and we don't know if he will make it back in, but we are hopeful that he will.

In a couple of months he will probably have surgery to excise the scar tissue and hopefuly minamise the scaring.

Ill post pics every week to show the progress for those who are interested.

He is coping very well, he is now off his pain meds, and is almost done with his antibiotics, so we will see how he goes from now on, ill be keeping a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't turn nasty.

Pics show the worst day to tonight.

post-15490-1223640800_thumb.jpg

post-15490-1223640805_thumb.jpg

post-15490-1223640814_thumb.jpg

Edited by goldengirl

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor bugger!!

I remember this story and it still makes me feel sick thinking about it.

How anyone can pretend not to know the reason behind an injury and fail to treat the 'real' injury with the correct medication and care is incomprehensible.

I'm glad Beau is healing well and comend you on how you have handled this situation.

Glad to hear that Beau is well on the mend, and also that you have now been treated decently by the clinic responsible.

I hope he can make a full recovery and be back in the show ring.

Best of luck.

Julie

I'm glad they took responsibility ... but I cannot believe that they actually used a hot water bottle in the first place :( massive no no, its not a subtle mistake at all

I hope he gets better very soon and his coat grows back OK, can he still be shown if he has a physical injury?

Ouch! That is unbelievable that somelike that that could happen whilst in care of the vets. I'd have been furious!

Glad he is on the mend though and that they are treating him to help him recover.

Would be interested to know who the vets were as I too am in Melbourne.

How come he came in contact with a hot water bottle has it got something to do with the xrays?Id like to know the vet to coz I live in the eastern burbs as well

Glad hes recovering but itll be pretty bad if carnt be shown no more

OMG I can't believe that burn your poor Beau! :laugh:

Why were they using a hot water bottle for hip x rays?It is bizarre did they say why? I missed the first posting so sorry if its been asked before.

Edited to say I had a number of my dogs hip scored and never had a problem.Especially with a water bottle!

Edited by Belljari

I do remember your orignal post, as I was absolutely horrified at what happened to Beau. Glad to hear that the vet practice have accepted responsiblity and are helping Beau to recover. Looks like that scar is taking some time to heal properly.

Thanks everybody,

He is taking his time to heal that is for sure, lucky he is so good natured and just lets me do whatever I have to to make him better :(

For those who missed the original post, Beau went to the vet to have his hips x-rayed for scoring (use of GA is required because of the way the x-rays need to be taken) and they put a hot water botle in with him while he was still anethitised to keep him warm.

I have worked as a vet nurse and evenin country practices hot water bottles are pretty outdated. I am happy to say they now have heating pads at this vet.

Ill PM you Paganman and BDL. Mind you the principal vet has been fantastic with the after care, I just refuse to see anyone else at the practice. :o

GG

I'm glad they took responsibility ... but I cannot believe that they actually used a hot water bottle in the first place :( massive no no, its not a subtle mistake at all

I hope he gets better very soon and his coat grows back OK, can he still be shown if he has a physical injury?

I am not sure Nekhbet, I guess it will depend on how bad the scaring is after surgery. I am keeping my fingers crossed. The only good thing is that it is his off show side I guess, so we may get away with it.