Beau's Burn

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I feel for you and Beau :confused:

Having been there a few years aog now when the Vet( not the regular who was on leave at the time) wanted to do an x-ray of my show girl and I said she will be fine and stand stay for you Nup they had to give her a GA and the idiot Vet caused a thiopentone(sp?) skin slough and ignored it and also failed to tell me! Three days later about 4inces of skin started to come of her leg and she couldn't walk. I raced her to the Vet and demanded to see the Head Vet- he was just as mortified as me and agreed that the Practice would meet all the Vet costs to try and remedy the injury. I had to have her at the Vets every other day and in the end the "error" caused severe osteomyelitis and she bleed internally and had to be PTS.

This stupid Vet was very lucky our girl was Titled and that we did not take legal action against her. She NEVER laid hand on any of our dogs ever again and I here she has now "left" the practice.

Glad to hear he is getting better, and that they have accepted responsibility for their actions. What is the treatment for burns that are so severe?

He has been on antibiotics (Clavulox and now Amoxil) Rymadyl for pain and Silvazine cream twice a day. We were at Frankston pets day out today and it was the first time we have had problems with flies, so I guess now the weather is heating up that is something we will have to deal with too.

Oh I feel for you and Beau :confused:

Having been there a few years aog now when the Vet( not the regular who was on leave at the time) wanted to do an x-ray of my show girl and I said she will be fine and stand stay for you Nup they had to give her a GA and the idiot Vet caused a thiopentone(sp?) skin slough and ignored it and also failed to tell me! Three days later about 4inces of skin started to come of her leg and she couldn't walk. I raced her to the Vet and demanded to see the Head Vet- he was just as mortified as me and agreed that the Practice would meet all the Vet costs to try and remedy the injury. I had to have her at the Vets every other day and in the end the "error" caused severe osteomyelitis and she bleed internally and had to be PTS.

This stupid Vet was very lucky our girl was Titled and that we did not take legal action against her. She NEVER laid hand on any of our dogs ever again and I here she has now "left" the practice.

InspectorRex, that is horrible! :laugh: It is a tough situation to be in when something goes so wrong isn't it?

The VC is covering all costs relating to Beau's injury, and that will include surgery eventually. DOG I hope that goes smoothly! :laugh:

Oh I feel for you and Beau :)

Don't blame the "stupid" vet. That is an unlucky side effect of thiopentone. GA's carry risk, and there is a difference between side effects and outright negligence, which is what GG's dog has suffered from.

Goldengirl, I am sorry for what your dog has been through and it is good that the clinic has acknowledged negligence.

that is low

this is a vet - a supposed professional caring person

initially denying responsibility then 3 weeks later admitting it

REPORT THEM

they should be made to answer for their negligence, then trying to cover it up

take your money elsewhere in future and tell everyone who will listen about them

talk to your local paper

get them shutdown

Xavier in order to cause that much sloughing they would have had to put a decent amount of thio OUT of the vein then not flush it. If you are seeing a lot of Thio burns then BAD BAD VET. We used thio and the vet always made sure there was no leak as a rule and instilled it into me as well.

If you properly shave an area you avoid this - and I dont go into veins without shaving first its unhygenic and sloppy (unless its an absolute dire emergency and seconds count)

Xavier in order to cause that much sloughing they would have had to put a decent amount of thio OUT of the vein then not flush it. If you are seeing a lot of Thio burns then BAD BAD VET. We used thio and the vet always made sure there was no leak as a rule and instilled it into me as well.

If you properly shave an area you avoid this - and I dont go into veins without shaving first its unhygenic and sloppy (unless its an absolute dire emergency and seconds count)

I did not say I was seeing a lot of thio burns :thumbsup:

I would never label a vet as "BAD BAD" for something like that! Needles can shift while thio is being injected.

What I did say was that it is a side effect, an avoidable one in most circumstances, but not outright negligence as the burn this post is about.

I'm so glad he's getting better, goldengirl. I went looking for the original thread one day (to add more of my enraged thoughts :laugh: ) and it was gone, so I'm really really glad to find this. I'm also really glad the place is covering all the costs - and that they now use heating mats instead of hot water bottles.

Please keep us updated and give Beau a shnuggle from me for being brave :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Well I have an update for you. Beau is going in for surgery on Tuesday the 11th. I am very nervous about it, I know he is in good hands with the head vet but it still worries me.

This is what it looks like now and I will post some pictures after surgery next week. The scar is quite thickened and not much hair is growning back. It is such a slow process. Sigh :rofl:

I am hoping that he will look like new again in about 5 months.

Thanks to all those who have been asking about him :rofl:

GG

post-15490-1225775159_thumb.jpg

Thanks GL :rofl: he will need a lot of healing vibes this time next week.

CL, I have really tried to be level headed about this, but it has not been easy, I know they are trying their best to rectify the problem and that is all I can hope for at the moment, I just want him to be well so he can swim and lay down more comfortably :rofl: It has been hard, but I am lucky he is such a good stoic boy.

I am keeping up my involvment with the show world by showing a couple of dogs for others, but it is not the same as seeing my boy in the ring.

This is a photo of him today (the dodgy non dog minded photographer is OH so excuse the crap pic :rofl:) He is standing on a slope too so that doesn't help. lol

GG

post-15490-1225784457_thumb.jpg

I hope it heals ok! It might just look far worse than it appears. A few years ago Wylie got burnt across his lower back just above his tail. It started as a little red mark then with a few days became this massive wound. His skin was black and hard! It was so horrible. The vet said it was full thickness burns from boiling water and you could see where it had trickled down the sides of his back and tail. He said it looked deliberate but I couldnt imagine who would do such a thing! Although a day or two before I found it, the neighbour said he had been barking at something that night. She looked out side but she didnt see anyone. She knows they only bark if someone they dont know is there(or a cat...)

I do have an outside hot water cylinder and I got it checked just in case.

Anyway, The vet told me it was going to leave a huge scar and it would always be noticable. When it healed it went from the size of my outstretched hand to a tiny little bald spot about an inch or two long and you cant even see it, Thanks to that curly tail! I never thought such a horrible burn would leave such a tiny scar. Hope Beaus disappears just as well!

What extra surgery can help? Wont more just leave more scars? I dont know enough about burns...

Golden girl thanx for pic hes devine!!i also had a burn victim (a cocker of coarse :rofl: )she had bioling water spilt on her back very nasty scar but in time it healed ,but there was always a risk when grooming of hitting the patch although the hair grew back ok the scared tissues remained ,beau should be ok as thier coat is a lot thicker than that of a cocker imo ,thoughts r with u

Of course CL :rofl: what other breed would it be? I remember you telling me about that befor I think...... sorry you have been through something like this too. Just out of interest was she a show dog? Did she ever go back in the ring?

Thanks for your kind thoughts, I am hoping after surgery it will be hardly noticable, but a judge probably would be able to feel it if they go over him thoroughly. But there is not much I can do if that is the case, I am hoping that, as you said, the coat will cover as much as possible.

Canibalgoldfish - I am sorry to hear that you have been through a similar thing :rofl:

Beau's burn was the size of a football, very big, third degree, it has shrunken now to just bigger than the palm of my hand, but the scarring will only contract so far.

The surgery will remove the thickened scarring and the damaged skin, they will take it out in the shape of an almond and suture it up so he will then have a long, thin (hopefully invisible) scar rather than a large, brittle, dry, hairless uncomfortable mess. Believe me I would not be putting him through anything more if it was not in his best interests! :rofl:

GG

Is his burn all thickened and lumpy? I thought boxheads (sorry, wylie)would be cause it was pretty bad but it healed so well. No roughness at all.

I bought him for show but after his injury I figured he was never going to do well. It was tiny but he would have been my first show and I never knew what the rules say about it. I thought show dogs had to be perfect. But he is still my boy, and you really have to go looking for his scar. He kept wagging his tail over his burn! eeeerrr! Shibas have that spikey spitz hair and he kept wagging it over his raw wound without any trace of pain... That was the worst. No brain no pain? ugh!