Lump On Puppy's Back

kleintjie

Thanks to all those who replied and gave advice/reassurance. ;)

She got a C5 because she is going to go to a kennel for 10 days when we're on holiday. :thumbsup: I would've prefer if she didn't have to get a C5.

The lump is still there, slightly smaller. It's on her middle back, not on her neck. I think it's so visible because she is very lean. Although vaccinations carry risks, if I had to choose again, I would still do it because some of diseases they can get just seem so much worse.

Is it normal for them to get a C5 and then another one a month later?

Took my two pooches in for their boosters last week and the vet warned me to be watchful of possible lumps from reactions to the C5 (the kennel cough part If I recall correctly), but they have both been fine.

So it comes down to the individual dog as to whether they will or not get a reaction/lump. Some will get it, some won't. Your Evie clearly did, so it's a matter of whether she will get it every time she has an annual booster.

PS. I only got C3 for my boy when he was a pup, but C5 at 12 months. Needed a second KC booster a month later. If he had C5 as a pup, he would have only needed the one at 12 months.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to correct what I wrote in my post above as at the time of writing three days after the injection, there was no lump. But the next day after I posted there was a lump on the side my pup, so it took a few days to develop. And got bigger over the next few days to the size of a 50¢ piece before starting to shrink, so almost ten days later now before it's gotten down to smaller than a pea. That was a C5 injection. I'm not keen on giving her a C5 booster in a year's time if she's going to have that sort of reaction to it.

I'm going to correct what I wrote in my post above as at the time of writing three days after the injection, there was no lump. But the next day after I posted there was a lump on the side my pup, so it took a few days to develop. And got bigger over the next few days to the size of a 50¢ piece before starting to shrink, so almost ten days later now before it's gotten down to smaller than a pea. That was a C5 injection. I'm not keen on giving her a C5 booster in a year's time if she's going to have that sort of reaction to it.

That's similar what happened to Evie. The lump is gone now. I was told by th vet to go back in 4 weeks following C5 for a 2nd C5 vaccination.

So she had C3 then C5 and now another?

Is that correct?

Yep, just checked her records and the C5 at 16 weeks was the second one after the 12 week one (only C3 at 8/9 weeks), so the next C5 booster will be the first annual one.

I never noticed any lump or even discomfort after the first one at 12 weeks. Maybe it's not as strong as the second one.

Edited by anthony mazzeri