Eye Stain Cleaner?

What products are there for cleaning eye stains - other than Diamond-eye?

I used to use this when I had a maltese, but I don't remember it smelling so strongly like mothballs! I find it unpleasant and Amelie is not appreciating it in the least!

Are there any other products?

I use Tear Stain Remover by aristopet available at the pet shops. Not as expensive as Diamond eye. @ 13.95

I was also told that limitingthe salt intake also reduces the tear stain so NO-smacko's and minimal kibble.Mostly bones and natural diet.

Since doing this the tear staining is minimal and getting better all the time.So I dont know if its true but it definatley seems to be working

Hope this helps

Maree and Gemima

I use a home-made recipe for cleaning the eyes of my cats. I have been using it for years without any problems and it keeps well. If anyone wants it, please let me know and I will dig it out and post it later today when I have more time.

jemappelle: Can you dig that recipe out when you get a chance?

I wash Kiara's eyes on a regular basis. Someone told me to use Bicarb Soda with a little water? Apparently it gets rid of the stains? I dont even know how safe this is but i have been using it and Kiara isnt fussed about it at all.

Edited by zee8477

Good! Thanks!

All ideas I will try - everyone has something different! Bicarb sounds logical. Jemapelle the recipe would be great if you can find it :laugh:

As for salt intake? I am feeding them science diet and raw bones/chicken wings and occasionally vegies, rice and egg mush (our Cockatoos treat food! :laugh: ). They get yoghurt drops and dried liver for treats - (schmackos have given two of my dogs stomach upsets - won't use it). So I think this is ok? But Amelies tears are PROFUSE - she is always wet-ish around her eyes. Overactice ducts? :) So I have been cleaning them a couple of times a day and she has started running away until she smells the treat I've got for her :laugh: But I don't know how long that will last either...

Mix the following and store in a very clean, dry, airtight bottle. I then pour some of this into a clean small bottle with a squirty top for every day use. I use a Dawn dishwashing liquid bottle as it is clear and I can see what is happening inside (some of my friends get "floaties" in their mixtures but I never have). I also never touch anything to the top of the bottles - always pour straight out onto a makeup remover pad, cotton wool or tissue (think this is why I don't get floaties as I am not contaminating the mixture).

1 litre cool boiled water

1 tablespoon baby shampoo

1 tablespoon boracic acid powder

Be careful not to get into the eyes. Dry the area after wiping.

Hope it works for you.

I have the following listed here:

-clear eyes eye wash (I don't think that removes stains - just helps to prevent them building up) $10.95 125ml

-Eye wipes - pack of 30 - also $10.95

-Top Dog tear stain remover - 125ml $4.65

So there definitely are some cheaper alternatives.

Firstky have a look at whats causing the staining It may be as simple as cutting the fine fur back from around the eye that often ccauses irritation. You can use apple cidar vinegar [ works great ] but if you add some to the food or water it makes a huge difference if the problem isnt caused by somethingmechanical like double eyelashes etc.

Guest julesnbubba

Hi Everyone,

When we first got Bubba, our Bulldog, I had heaps of trouble controling his tear stains. However we now have it under control. I allways have a box of baby wipes handy to wipe his "folds" daily. He gets his face washed every two to three days with johnsons baby shampoo. Once the area is dry and clean I apply white zinc cream to the folds, this prevents further staining as the tears cant penertrate the zinc cream.

Regards,

Jules and Bubba

Several of my clients swear to a daily wipe of water and borasic powder.

On a grooming list I am on, someone else recommends feeding from stainless steel bowls only. They feel this has worked for them...........

Apple cider vinegar in their water too apparently helps.

Kojo Eye Conditioner is excellent. It is available from Pet Network for $13.95 for a 250ml bottle - that will last for a long time. Many of the showdogs use it to prevent tear staining, rather than just covering it up. Another benefit is it doesn't matter if you get it in the eye. I even use it as an eye wash sometimes, when my dogs have dust in their eyes (the only time they get weepy). If you use it every day, as the new hair grows back it won't have the stain anymore. It's really great on white or light coloured faces.

Here is the link:

http://www.petnetwork.com.au/cgi-bin/shopp...&cart_id=328125

cheers,

Janette

>>Get a cotton bud dip in weak cold tea clean the eye from the inside out. Use a different side for each eye. Then another ball to rub on the stains don't know why but it works. Take a while but it works, and it is natural. <<

Yeah lukewarm black tea does work really well!

I also really like alt PETS Pooch Face Wash:

"a soothing, highly effective chemical-free cleansing solution for grubby muzzles and tear stained faces"

It contains chamomile water, additive-free sea salt, sodium bicarbonate.

It's great for cats too and I use it on my Himalayan.

I've posted on this topic before so it's good to get more info. One thing I was wondering: if I let it go too long (she really doesn't like getting her eyes cleaned so sometimes I'm a blit slack), my Maltese will rub her eyes. I presume it irritates her: is this the case? Or is it just cosmetic?

If she's rubbing her eyes they are more than likely causing her some kind of irritation. Is the eye pinky-red where it should be white? If so she might need a quick check at the vet as it might be inflammed (uvetitis). Not suggesting anything of the sort for your maltese but my Himalayan Persian gets watery eyes causing stains due to it being a breed-trait but it recently got worse and her eye was very inflammed. I had an instinctive feeling that she might be getting a cataract too so I took her to a veterinary opthomologist and I was right. Slight uvetitis and early stages of cataract. I treated the eye with eye drops for the uvetitis provided by the vet, and now I just wash around the eye everyday with the alt PETS pooch face wash I mentioned early. She's doing really well.

Even though your dog doesn't like having her eyes cleaned you should do it daily. Make it a fun thing with treats, a game, or a brush afterwards.