Training 10month Old

I don't know whether i would go to obedience now though? You will be very limited to what you can do and it may be difficult to tell if any resistance or reaction is due to soreness- you don't want to pair pain with obedience :)

I agree with Cosmolo. If you are going to keep her and not send her back, I would actually hold off on classes until you can stabilise her health - if it's a choice between paying for classes and paying for the xray, I'd pay for the xray. You can still NILIF at home for things that are not health related.

I would also ask in the health forum for people in your state who can recommend a good chiropractic vet. We have a dog with elbow issues and the chiro combined with the vet treatment makes a huge difference to his well being and demeanor - there is definitely hope for your girl.

Finally, I would discuss this with the breeder. What I have also done in the past is ask the vet if they are prepared to speak direct to the breeder, and then offer the vet's number to the breeder in case they wish to ask the vet questions. Ultimately if you paid a lot of money for her and it turns out she has a structural problem, the breeder should be prepared to refund at least a proportion of the money you paid for her.

I'm sorry you're going through this, it can be very disappointing when you try and do the right thing and end up with a dog with issues. Take care of yourself and your girl. If you do go to obedience make sure the instructor knows about her health issues.

I've spoken to the breeder and she has told me that my girl's parents and beyond haven't had any of these issues. She did tell me to see a chiropractor as well.

I need some advice here.

I haven't really bonded with her even though she is a lovely girl. She does have behavioural issues, which the breeder has also confirmed, :), NOW SHE TELLS ME, and with the allergy and possible elbow issues, I just don't know if I can do this.

I'm not the most healthy person and I was looking to home a dog who could keep me company and who I could have some fun with and give a good life to. But she doesn't really like having fun. She hates the car, in fact I had to pick her up from under the table and carry her to the car because she hates it so much. I've tried desensitising her but she just won't relent. She doesn't enjoy walking, for obvious reasons, and I can't seem to get her excited about anything much, not even food. Even throwing the ball doesn't really interest her.

I'm also really worried about the costs. I know I need to be prepard for emergencies but now I need to change all her food, see a chiro etc. Am I giving up too soon?

I've never had this happen before and I'm so upset, I don't like failing. :happydance:

She sounds very submissive and somewhat timid and overwhelmed to me. Been there, done that.. you have to never be any more negative than neutral or a no reward.

The pawing is a request for attention.. you can use that.. make her work for what she wants.

If its a new experience I imagine the freeze behaviour will be pretty normal. You need to encourage her to try new things (my guess is the car is a new thing) and reward her trying.

Stop thinking about her breed, other dogs you've had etc. Deal with what you see in front of you.

These dogs can be amazingly rewarding to train. I know, I have one. :)

Would the breeder take the pup back ?

*dons flame suit*

If it were me- I would probably be returning this dog to the breeders,. :) Sounds like a lot of work and bills ahead- and if you are having doubts already..... then make your decisions quickly.

Either you decide, as 'bell' has done with her rescue girl, to get vet work done, and also get in professional help for behavioural issues--

or- you decide to return the pup.

I haven't really bonded with her even though she is a lovely girl.

Send her back to the breeder. Poor nerves, past history of being one of many in kennel, suspect elbows, allergy problems and one who is a reject.

BTW, it irks me no end when people suggest a chiropractor. Not much good when a diagnosis has not been made.

Good luck whatever your decision.

If it were me- I would probably be returning this dog to the breeders,. :) Sounds like a lot of work and bills ahead- and if you are having doubts already..... then make your decisions quickly.
BTW, it irks me no end when people suggest a chiropractor. Not much good when a diagnosis has not been made.

I'm sorry the news wasn't better. I agree with Lablover, I cannot see what good going to a chiropractor will do until after she has had the x-rays to confirm the whole picture. It seems like wasted $$$$ at this point to me.

From what you have said about yourself, this dog and the future medical costs, I think I would be taking her back to the breeder. It is better to do it now rather than later. I know we had to pour thousands of dollars into our Bulldog who had similar issues.

HUGS.

BTW, it irks me no end when people suggest a chiropractor. Not much good when a diagnosis has not been made. .

I suggested a veterinary chiropractor rather than a muscle man for a reason.

My reply was not personal. A few friends have great faith in some chiropractors. I have seen too many injured dogs, due to genetics, sports or simply accident. Dogs are normally so stoic and I wish some would at least offer pain relief via their vet.

My reply was not personal. A few friends have great faith in some chiropractors. I have seen too many injured dogs, due to genetics, sports or simply accident. Dogs are normally so stoic and I wish some would at least offer pain relief via their vet.

Our chiro vet does offer pain relief, xrays and the full range of traditional veterinary treatment and diagnosis. The adjustments help make sure that the bad elbow is the only thing our dog has to worry about, if that makes sense. In my experience, often dogs with a structural problem can wind up with secondary issues as a result of compensating for the original problem. Providing there is an accurate diagnosis - which the vet should be able to provide - I think good chiro is an important supplement for structurally unsound dogs. Bad chiro of course, can make it worse...

Sorry to hear about all the worries you are having.

It would be heart breaking but I also would be approaching the breeders now about returning her. Cause I see heartbreak ahead and more costs.

At least your money should be refunded surely if they are fair minded?

Good luck with whatever you decide.