Yoghurt

Hi - thanks for the advice on giving my dog yoghurt following antibiotics - and to include it in his diet. At puppy school they said not to feed yoghurt or other dairy - but some breeders I know recommend it - yet another contradiction to figure out.

I've also started adding it to my 9 wk old pups food too - they both love it and in fact it makes the boy eat at a much slower pace for some reason - which is good considering he used to inhale his food.

Although - not sure if its connected but he did the smelliest ever fart last night (right in my face I might add )....it was probably payback for something :(

Jaynie

My boy gets yoghurt but it is a natural one ... not one of the sloppy fruit type ones.

You could try "Inner Health Plus" after antibiotics - I give the human dose (1 capsule) to their food ... it is easier enough to open the capsule and mix it with their food.

Pele loves yoghurt. I use the plain yoghurt with acidopoulous in it. She gets yoghurt and a mashed 'nana when we get home from obedience training. She runs out to the kitchen and waits for it. Yep, we created a monster :o

I read somewhere (think it might have been Dr Ian Billinghurst in "Give Your Dog A Bone") that yoghurt doesn't contain lactose, which causes the problems with milk. Most dogs are lactose intolerant.

Pele also loves pumpkin. I've got some frozen in small containers. For a treat I mix that with yoghurt and stuff her Kong with it. She loves it :)

Man...since when are Vets nutritionists? (You'd be shocked to see how much time they actually spend on the topic at Uni...but then...maybe not.)

Mine have always had yoghurt...it's like anything...Moderation.

I use natural, unflavoured yoghurt, any brand. But I like to go organic when I can. Try to get it as fresh, and that it is cultured yoghurt.

I toyed with the idea of making Kefir Yoghurt...but then my housemate told me her horror story, I think I'll buy it. :)

Guest june.andnovas
What brand/type of Yoghurt is best to use for dogs? I never thought to feed it to my guys but I might give it a shot.

any of the natural ones. take a look at the ingrediants listing and pick one that contains nothing added. Just all goodness. There are about four/five different brands that do a good natural yoghurt. The one I have at the moment Ivy isn't so keen on so I will try another brand soon.

Most major supermarkets sell it. Goat yoghurt is meant to be great too but expensive to feed to your dogs. We bought some and it went rancid in a few days so I wouldn't get it again. Well maybe from another supplier I would.

I always use "Jalna" brand fat free, natural yogurt for myself and my dog. As for me, I mix it with Manuka honey but I wouldn't mix sweetener if you give it to your dog. Jalna fat free yogurt contains probiotics, no gluten, no cane sugar/Low G.I., no artificial sweeteners, no gelatines, no thickeners & food acids, no preservatives. Here's the website Yalna yogurt

Edited by panda

Pele loves yoghurt. I use the plain yoghurt with acidopoulous in it. She gets yoghurt and a mashed 'nana when we get home from obedience training. She runs out to the kitchen and waits for it. Yep, we created a monster :thumbsup:

I read somewhere (think it might have been Dr Ian Billinghurst in "Give Your Dog A Bone") that yoghurt doesn't contain lactose, which causes the problems with milk. Most dogs are lactose intolerant.

Pele also loves pumpkin. I've got some frozen in small containers. For a treat I mix that with yoghurt and stuff her Kong with it. She loves it :cheer:

Yep we use the natural hard set one with the acidopoulous in it, you can get if from Coles/Safeway. You can also freeze it inside the kong as a treat for hot days as well :cheer:

Bully your dog is spoilt :cheer: Mine are outside while I type this as I don't want them getting any ideas :love::(

Pele loves yoghurt. I use the plain yoghurt with acidopoulous in it. She gets yoghurt and a mashed 'nana when we get home from obedience training. She runs out to the kitchen and waits for it. Yep, we created a monster :)

Pele also loves pumpkin. I've got some frozen in small containers. For a treat I mix that with yoghurt and stuff her Kong with it. She loves it :rofl:

Yep we use the natural hard set one with the acidopoulous in it, you can get if from Coles/Safeway. You can also freeze it inside the kong as a treat for hot days as well :cry:

Bully your dog is spoilt :eek: Mine are outside while I type this as I don't want them getting any ideas :(:rofl:

Does anyone know if it is safe to use yoghurt made from one of those Easy-Yo yoghurt makers? Id assume so but it makes that really tangy greek style yoghurt.

Pele loves yoghurt. I use the plain yoghurt with acidopoulous in it. She gets yoghurt and a mashed 'nana when we get home from obedience training. She runs out to the kitchen and waits for it. Yep, we created a monster :laugh:

Pele also loves pumpkin. I've got some frozen in small containers. For a treat I mix that with yoghurt and stuff her Kong with it. She loves it :laugh:

Yep we use the natural hard set one with the acidopoulous in it, you can get if from Coles/Safeway. You can also freeze it inside the kong as a treat for hot days as well :)

Bully your dog is spoilt :) Mine are outside while I type this as I don't want them getting any ideas ;) :rofl:

Does anyone know if it is safe to use yoghurt made from one of those Easy-Yo yoghurt makers? Id assume so but it makes that really tangy greek style yoghurt.

Easi Yo is absolutely safe and is advocated by quite a few on DOL, myself included. It has a higher proportion of live cultures than supermarket yoghurt as it is fresh and the cultures have a limited life span. Some yoghurts may be relatively 'old' by the time you buy them off the shelf. Lots of flavours available so if your dog doesn't like tangy a straight vanilla is a good option.

Pele loves yoghurt. I use the plain yoghurt with acidopoulous in it. She gets yoghurt and a mashed 'nana when we get home from obedience training. She runs out to the kitchen and waits for it. Yep, we created a monster :laugh:

Pele also loves pumpkin. I've got some frozen in small containers. For a treat I mix that with yoghurt and stuff her Kong with it. She loves it :laugh:

Yep we use the natural hard set one with the acidopoulous in it, you can get if from Coles/Safeway. You can also freeze it inside the kong as a treat for hot days as well :)

Bully your dog is spoilt :) Mine are outside while I type this as I don't want them getting any ideas ;) :rofl:

Easi Yo is absolutely safe and is advocated by quite a few on DOL, myself included. It has a higher proportion of live cultures than supermarket yoghurt as it is fresh and the cultures have a limited life span. Some yoghurts may be relatively 'old' by the time you buy them off the shelf. Lots of flavours available so if your dog doesn't like tangy a straight vanilla is a good option.

Thank you!!

I've just started making the Easi-Yo yogurt because we're going through at least a kilo every day. I've only made the Natural so far and you can taste the difference - it's a lot tangier than the commercial natural yogurt, it takes some getting used to! The dogs still love it though. Now if I can just stretch out the dogs' yogurt long enough to make the kids their strawberry one :laugh:

Edited by emmark

Pele loves yoghurt. I use the plain yoghurt with acidopoulous in it. She gets yoghurt and a mashed 'nana when we get home from obedience training. She runs out to the kitchen and waits for it. Yep, we created a monster :)

I didnt know pumpkin was ok for dogs. i always wanted to get my dog her own pumpkin for halloween but i didnt think it would be safe for her..

Pele also loves pumpkin. I've got some frozen in small containers. For a treat I mix that with yoghurt and stuff her Kong with it. She loves it :banghead:

I didnt know pumpkin was ok for dogs. i always wanted to get my dog her own pumpkin for halloween but i didnt think it would be safe for her..

Boiled mashed pumpkin is really good if your dog has diarrhea as it full of fibre. Also supposed to be good for constipation as well :clap:

I like the idea of the yoghurt with banana. What other suggestions do have? Or do you just feed them a little bowl of just yoghurt on its own as a snack?

My parents had a bag of about 6 apples that they were going to throw out as they were past their best. Pele loves apples and we share one at the beach everyday, so I took them home, cored them, stuck them through the food processor and froze it in some small containers and an icecube tray. I'll use the apple with yoghurt or cottage cheese (she loves that too), or even toss a small container of apple on the lawn for her to lick and enjoy on a warm day :banghead:

I like the idea of the yoghurt with banana. What other suggestions do have? Or do you just feed them a little bowl of just yoghurt on its own as a snack?

My parents had a bag of about 6 apples that they were going to throw out as they were past their best. Pele loves apples and we share one at the beach everyday, so I took them home, cored them, stuck them through the food processor and froze it in some small containers and an icecube tray. I'll use the apple with yoghurt or cottage cheese (she loves that too), or even toss a small container of apple on the lawn for her to lick and enjoy on a warm day :banghead:

so does that mean it is good to give your puppy fruit as well?