Zayda_asher In Here!

ruthless

Hi Everyone,

My dog has had skin problems/allergies for the last 8 years and was on Polaramine, Phenergan and Prednisone as well as all sorts of lotions and creams at different times over that period but nothing really helped him.

About 6 months ago I came across a product called Vetalogica Omegaderm at my local chemist and after 3 weeks of taking the tablets he was a totally different dog. I took him back to the vet to show him and he couldn't believe the difference. He doesn't scratch or chew himself anymore and his skin is no longer flouro pink.

I had a look on their website and they have a store locater to see where your nearest stockist is.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I'm glad it helped your dog :) In theory its a nice idea, as many of the things are things you use to help allergic dogs, however, I would be careful with this or any other "throw the kitchen skin at the dog" approach. Here's the list of ingredients:

Brewer's yeast, Cellulose, Methyl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM), Methionine, Cysteine Hydrochloride, Vegetable oil, Povidone, Beef flavour, Bacon flavour, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E), Silica-Colloidal Anhydrous, Fish powder, Magnesium Stearate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Riboflavin (B2), Retinyl Palmitate (Vit A), Biotin. Contains no artificial colours or preservatives.

*Information sourced from manufacturer

http://www.oztion.com.au/vshops/item.aspx?...amp;shopid=5733

Top of the list is brewer's yeast, which many dogs (even those non-allergic) are intolerant of (like flax and alfalfa) and it makes intolerant dogs ITCHY! Also its flavoured with beef and pork and has unspecified fish powder, so that will be an issue for any dogs food allergic to those products. I'd also like to know what the vegetable oil is from as well as many dogs have allergies and intolerances to things like corn and soy.

Its easier I find in the long run to supplement directly with good, high grade products like salmon oil, vit e, MSM (although those sulfur intolerant may need to be careful with this... a friend who is allergic to sulfurs was looking into this) etc. and know you are giving the dog nothing they are allergic to! :rofl:

I'd also like to know how much iodine they get out of the Povidone as too much iodine in a diet can cause thyroid issues as can not enough... if you were supplementing with other things like kelp that could push you over...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just a little update on my boy, i took him to the vet as he still has the lumps on his hind legs and the vet put him on a course of cephalexin which im told is a strong antibiotic, and gave phenergan as well.

he thinks its either the staph/folliculitis, which the antibiotics should fix up, or potentially papilloma virus, which his immune system will have to kick out eventually. so i guess i just wait and see until the antibiotics run out... he has little infected scratches under his chin from our baby puppy playing with him that the antibiotics should clear up too.

he did a demodex scrape just to clear that option out... and its not demodex. would have been an easier problem to fix though i guess. i think the poor little guy just has bad temperamental blue staffy skin :thumbsup:

in the mean time is there anything i can feed him to help boost his immune system if it is papilloma?

thanks again !!

Cephalexin is good for Staph Jen... how long is the course? You should see it start to clear pretty quickly if it is staph (and vet could've done the cytology to confirm this)...

I've never dealt with papiloma, but again its something that could've been tested for... so I don't know what specifically might help.

Be careful with immune boosting stuff, some things like olive leaf extract, will interfere with antibiotics...

ETA: How long is he on the phenergan for? Is he itchy?

Edited by zayda_asher

Hi Everyone,

My dog has had skin problems/allergies for the last 8 years and was on Polaramine, Phenergan and Prednisone as well as all sorts of lotions and creams at different times over that period but nothing really helped him.

About 6 months ago I came across a product called Vetalogica Omegaderm at my local chemist and after 3 weeks of taking the tablets he was a totally different dog. I took him back to the vet to show him and he couldn't believe the difference. He doesn't scratch or chew himself anymore and his skin is no longer flouro pink.

I had a look on their website and they have a store locater to see where your nearest stockist is.

Hope this helps :rofl:

I'm glad it helped your dog :rofl: In theory its a nice idea, as many of the things are things you use to help allergic dogs, however, I would be careful with this or any other "throw the kitchen skin at the dog" approach. Here's the list of ingredients:

Brewer's yeast, Cellulose, Methyl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM), Methionine, Cysteine Hydrochloride, Vegetable oil, Povidone, Beef flavour, Bacon flavour, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit E), Silica-Colloidal Anhydrous, Fish powder, Magnesium Stearate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Riboflavin (B2), Retinyl Palmitate (Vit A), Biotin. Contains no artificial colours or preservatives.

*Information sourced from manufacturer

http://www.oztion.com.au/vshops/item.aspx?...amp;shopid=5733

Top of the list is brewer's yeast, which many dogs (even those non-allergic) are intolerant of (like flax and alfalfa) and it makes intolerant dogs ITCHY! Also its flavoured with beef and pork and has unspecified fish powder, so that will be an issue for any dogs food allergic to those products. I'd also like to know what the vegetable oil is from as well as many dogs have allergies and intolerances to things like corn and soy.

Its easier I find in the long run to supplement directly with good, high grade products like salmon oil, vit e, MSM (although those sulfur intolerant may need to be careful with this... a friend who is allergic to sulfurs was looking into this) etc. and know you are giving the dog nothing they are allergic to! :rofl:

I'd also like to know how much iodine they get out of the Povidone as too much iodine in a diet can cause thyroid issues as can not enough... if you were supplementing with other things like kelp that could push you over...

Hi,

I have contacted Vetalogica and they have a new formulation which is now chicken flavour, has no vegetable oil or artificial ingredients. Thought you might be interested :rofl:

Hi,

I have contacted Vetalogica and they have a new formulation which is now chicken flavour, has no vegetable oil or artificial ingredients. Thought you might be interested :rofl:

Thanks... that's interesting to know...

be nice if they did an unflavoured version for all the food allergic dogs! :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd stick an update in here for those who aren't on the AmStaff forum... We've been going through some new stuff with Zayda and I thought it might be interesting for those doing allergy stuff to see:

Zayda had 4 bouts of hives recently (we haven't had any since early 07) on Thursday the 13th November, Sunday the 16th November, Tuesday the 17th November, and Wednesday the 19th November. The Sunday night was awful, worst yet, almost made the dash to emergency as her whole face swelled... but it didn't interfere with her breathing thank goodness. Very itchy, sore and uncomfortable. Double dosed on antihistamines as per our regular plan all 4 episodes.

These were from her Thursday night episode. Not as bad as sunday night, but after I took these pics, they did all join up so most of her mouth was swollen:

3035912589_afb32a532a.jpg

3035912589_afb32a532a.jpg

And this is sunday night... photos don't really show the full extreme... she looked like a shar pei in the end around her face!!:

3035883959_76475813dc.jpg

3035884251_ca95eebba1.jpg

3035883719_183fb90599.jpg

Well we got in to see the other Derm in our practice (ours is away on leave at the moment!) and I was proved correct in my suspicions about what might be going on: Zayda was tested at a much younger age than normal when she was done as her development was early and extreme. Also there have been a lot of improvements in testing since she was done. So there is a good chance that she has developed more or some things weren't able to be tested for at the time of her original testing. Also now they are doing both intradermal and the Heska ELISA bloods at the same time: dogs can react to allergens in different ways and these two tests give them the most information when used together. So she will be retested using both procedures (done at same time).

Given that she also has chronic food allergies we have to go back and do another full elimination diet as she may well have developed more food allergies too! I've just been trying to work out what we can use as an novel protein for the diet.... seeing she was allergic to all the "normal" stuff so she's had the "not so normal" cheaper pet meats, so we are now into the truly exotic (read expensive :thumbsup: )... although I've just found a place we can get donkey from for cheap, but no bones... so I'm working on bones she can have now (might end up being venison or rabbit bones)...

So we are booked in for IDT and the blood panel next week and start the elimination diet ASAP. Zayda is 7yrs in Jan and was originally tested at 7mnts of age.

If these come back with no positive results then we look to other things...

Edited by zayda_asher

Oh and the other good thing was that Derm was very happy about me limiting all chemical usage on my dogs unless necessary (i.e.: no vac, no flea / worm treatments unless needed etc.) and said this was a very tactic to take with dogs who are already sensitive and reacting to things as they certainly contribute and can develop sensitivities to those things as well!

We are swapping heart worming meds as a precaution, but it doesn't really fit the pattern for a sensitivity to that (timing etc.).

Thanks! :eek:

Let us know the results from the SPOT test, it certainly will be interesting to compare when you can do the HESKA... I'm really interested to see the comparison results we will get from doing the IDT / HESKA

We've started elimination diet as well... and so far so good, no hives since... we did have one more bout last Friday before we started... so hopefully we will be well on the road to getting things back on the rails soon!!

How have you been going in general with Orbit recently?

Hey Zayder how did you go today?

We got Orbit's SPOT results back today... 25 positives and 7 borderlines, not including food.

Foods to apparently avoid are chicken, soybean, corn, wheat, oatmeal, barley, brewers yeast, fish and duck. Fish isn't surprising, and I was suss on brewers yeast too. He also reacted to Aloveen so I guess thats the oatmeal.

Unfortunately we also have cat epi, mozzies, cockroaches, and dust mites as positives, which if true, really suck.

Blood is being sent off tomorrow for the HESKA, so will be interesting to compare results!

Hey Zayder how did you go today?

Thanks for checking in :laugh:

Well we had mega reactions :thumbsup: Basically she responded so strongly to the intradermal testing they didn't need to run the HESKA testing. They test for 69 allergens on the intradermal panel, Zayda was positive for 60 of them and low reaction / borderline for the other 9.

She was positive for every grass, weed and tree pollen they test for. Positive for every mold. Positive for most insects & mites (these were some of the low / borderline as well) and also kapok and tabacco.

Her test site reacted so much that basically the whole area swelled into one big lump, they took photos to show us it was such an extreme reaction!

So we start new immunotherapy, which is costing an arm and a leg because there are so many things she's allergic to we had to have two separate vaccines to cover it all!! And it looks like I'll be doing some of the things I planned around the house sooner rather than later, like ripping out the carpet (now that me and both my dogs are allergic to dust mites that seems like a good plan!) and we are going to have to do things like rip out the grass etc.

I'll type out the full panel later if people are interested in seeing it, actually I might scan it :D

And we started elimination diet Sunday so please send "you are not allergic to any more food" thoughts our way because we don't need any more allergies!!

We're all amazed that we've kept her in as good condition as she is, Asher is allergic to some of the same things, so they were already eliminated and that would definitely have helped.

Good luck with the HESKA for Orbit! The dust mites and stuff are a pain... :thumbsup:

Edited by zayda_asher

Oh boy... what a nightmare for you!

I'd be really interested in seeing the panel. Not sure if you know what the SPOT and HESKA panels are like but more than welcome to see them - I can email you through results.

Good news for us is that Gribbles are now adamant that you don't need to withhold drugs to do the HESKA, so that really helps us out at the moment.

Sending you lots of good 'no more food allergy' vibes!!

Here's the IDT panel:

3078991353_8e00979621_b.jpg

Yeah, I'd be really interested in seeing the SPOT and HESKA panels.... you can e-mail me at nobsl4wa at gmail dot com, thanks :thumbsup:

Oh boy... what a nightmare for you!

I'm a bit shocked at the moment... but making plans and assessing what we will need to do...

Sending you lots of good 'no more food allergy' vibes!!

Thank you!! We will really need them....

Good news for us is that Gribbles are now adamant that you don't need to withhold drugs to do the HESKA, so that really helps us out at the moment.

Forgot to say: that's cool news for you... :thumbsup: Interesting to hear, I wonder what has made them change their minds on that, very interesting!

Cool... interesting to see... be good to see the HESKA one when you do have it :thumbsup: Do you know how long it will take to get the results back? good luck!

Not sure how long HESKA will take. SPOT serum was submitted on the 19th of Nov and took till today to come back, but it was free so I can't complain about the time.