Zayda_asher In Here!

ruthless

Far out zayder, that really sucks re the food issue. Orbit's ok at the moment on beef, turkey and roo, but I'm not sure what we're going to do if/when he starts reacting to these.

There's a game farm place not far from here that sells stuff like croc, emu etc, but the stuff is gourmet and costs a fortune. Really hoping it doesn't come to that!!

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tell me about it! That''s how we've been getting the venison for her elim. diet. :laugh:

Yeah, it's a bummer... goat is cheap and they like it... but hopefully that is all we will find to add to the list! I've got a couple I want to re-test to make sure, though, so we'll see... She really is my million dollar dog! :laugh:

Jeeeeez, I really feel for you two, that's full on :laugh:

Trixie's currently fine [as you may see next week Stormie :o]. So I'm now quite sure that her allergies are seasonal. In between her toes got a bit smelly and gooey recently, but it's been very wet, so maybe that was why? A medicated bath sorted her out.

I hope you get to the bottom of your problem soon ZA :laugh:

Orbit's allergies settle down over winter too - not enough to come off medication though, but if he's wearing clothes, we can go two days between doses rather than just one. Doesn't sound like much but it is a huge thing for us!

Looking forward to hopefully getting to meet you and Trixie, Ruthless!! Maybe I should start up an allergy club :laugh:

Orbit's allergies settle down over winter too - not enough to come off medication though, but if he's wearing clothes, we can go two days between doses rather than just one. Doesn't sound like much but it is a huge thing for us!

Looking forward to hopefully getting to meet you and Trixie, Ruthless!! Maybe I should start up an allergy club :hug:

Wearing clothes? Surely there's pics to go along with a statement like that!

I've got hayfever and three allergic dogs, can I be the president? :hug:

Hey, I noticed in the photos you posted of Trix on LAST that she looks like she's got a bit of fur missing on the tip of her tail, or am imaging things?

I looked at the pic you're talking about and it does look like it. That pic's about 6 months old. I just checked her tail and it seems to have a full hair coverage :hug:

I've got hayfever and three allergic dogs, can I be the president? :)

FTPO and I will fight you for it: we're both allergic to stuff our dog's are allergic to! :rofl::laugh:

I looked at the pic you're talking about and it does look like it. That pic's about 6 months old. I just checked her tail and it seems to have a full hair coverage

Cool. That might be a little signal to keep an eye on as atopic season ramps back up... I've often seen missing fur on AmStaff tails, but it's normally further up, near the glands. Reports from people suggest fish oil helping with that... But given her's is lower on the tail I wonder if she's rubbed or chewed it... might be something to watch for too if she starts chewing...

BTW, I'm sure Trixie and Asher must be related... they are both heat seeking missiles and I have photos of Asher the same! :laugh:

Edited by zayda_asher

I'll fight you both for president too... I'm allergic to same things as Orbit, I'm even allergic to Orbit and everything else with hair. I also have very similar dietary issues to him as well and be both suffer the same symptoms if we eat the wrong things.

Jammies pics for you, Ruthless!! If you do end up coming to see us you'll get to see him in the flesh :rofl:

20090611-004.jpg

20090611-002.jpg

lol Maybe we run as a small egalitarian consensus! Funny that we have similar issues to our dogs...

Have you found those jimjams good Stormie? I've been thinking about getting some for Asher. Zayda's got a vest coat that she wears, but Asher gets his willie caught in his and ends up peeing on himself, which he hates! :rofl:

the only annoying them about them is that they are a bit big and have also stretched, so they fall down over his bum a fair bit. Just means that before I let him out to the toilet I have to pull them all back up so he has ample clearance :rofl:

I'm going to put some elastic in the leg bits and also the neck I think, to help keep them in place. His skin has never been better since wearing them!

Ah, elastic would help... I can see where you mean on the pics... I'll bear that in mind when looking at size.

Good about his skin...

We just went to see our derm the other day and they are having a conference with some human derms soon and are going to be looking into all the cross reactivity stuff with foods and atopic allergens in humans... apparently they are finding now that tweaking atopic dog's diets can help as well! She's going to find out some more info at the conference and let me know... It's part of why they suggest testing fruits now in the elimination diet, as they seem to be common for cross reacting. Research hasn't been done in dogs (and probably wont because it's all expensive and involves molecular imaging and such), but it gives us something new to test and trial.

Well, I must admit I bought them cause they looked cute :rofl: , but I had success with his other coat so figured these would only be better.

Yep, it helps because there's less of him open to absorb pollens and other allergens. I keep them on him all day and will mostly take them off at night before bed, cause he ends up under the doona with me anyway hehe

Well I just thought I would pop a quick update on Zayda... We're still doing her elimination diet, and will be for a few more months: we have veg/fruit/cereals and her supplements left to test before we can formulate a new diet plan for her. We started this new testing back in November.

And unfortunately we've had two new adverse food reactions pop up: goat and mackerel. I have to retest a couple as well as other allergies interfered and we're not 100%.

So my poor girl has been sick again... It's just not fair! We shouldn't have to be doing this AGAIN at 7.5years old. She should be allowed to enjoy her life without this shit :cool: Excuse my foot stamping tantrum, but it just sux... If I have to go through this again with Asher in a couple of years I'll really crack it! And it compels me, once again, to remind people that this stuff is heritable! That dog someone breeds that "only itches in summer" or seems to react to "just X" is the parent or grandparent of a dog like mine: Lets get serious about allergic skin disease and not set up the next generations for this sort of bull shit!

Thankfully we haven't had a major hive episode since March: but current symptoms include itching (both Zayda and me as she triggers my allergies when she has a reaction), runny nose and eyes, ear infection, hypersensitivity, yeast infection, colitis and GI tract pain, nausea, ADD behaviour and lethargy.

Here's a couple of pics of her last episode of hives. Hopefully we can stave these off, until summer at least:

3400432025_bb4cc85b4b_o.jpg

3401238348_0d0248a2b2_o.jpg

3401238244_e548b4be56_o.jpg

Asher, thankfully, has been a bit better, although he too it itchy and runny eyed / nosed. He has yeast infection atm too, and we have, thankfully, been able to stave off a major Staph outbreak... Although we have had a couple of bad Angioedema episodes, which for him are in his mouth and lips.

I'd just like my guys to be symptom free for a while... I don't think that's too much to ask :laugh::)

Edited by zayda_asher

Oh crap Zayder :cooldance: The poor girl.

And I totally here you re. being hereditary. I've heard of plenty of breeders who have just passed off allergies as 'just a bit of a reaction to X grass', and even some that have lied about allergies, and low and behold, lots of their offspring/decendants have had bad allergies. First thing our derms said we should do when we have an allergic dog, is to notify the breeder.

Things not so good here either. We hit the 1ml level for his injections yesterday and today he woke up covered in hives :cry: So now more injections for 5 days and we're going to have to dilute them now too. Why can't things just be straight forward....

<sigh> Thanks guys... just having someone to listen and empathise helps!! I just feel really bad for her... :cool:

And I totally here you re. being hereditary. I've heard of plenty of breeders who have just passed off allergies as 'just a bit of a reaction to X grass', and even some that have lied about allergies, and low and behold, lots of their offspring/decendants have had bad allergies. First thing our derms said we should do when we have an allergic dog, is to notify the breeder.

TOTALLY!! I even see people who don't realise what it is that is happening with their dog!! :cooldance: We've got to get this to be a more public issue so more dogs and owners don't have to suffer...

Things not so good here either. We hit the 1ml level for his injections yesterday and today he woke up covered in hives frown.gif So now more injections for 5 days and we're going to have to dilute them now too. Why can't things just be straight forward....

Ah, crap! Hopefully you can do lower doses and build up slower and be ok!! Good luck!! Has the poor boy been itchy / uncomfortable with the hives? I hope their settling down now. :cry: for both of you... :D