Feeding After A Bout Of Diarrhoea

kendall

Poor little Amber (my 15 month old Cocker Spaniel) had a number of loose (varying in degree) motions Monday night and yesterday. I think it has been caused by one of two things (or possibly both)....at my mum's on Monday she had a smoked rolled rawhide treat and possibly the other dogs' treats too (she has not had one before) plus she is being treated for a persistent ear infection with pred (delta cortef). I know that pred can sometimes cause diarrhoea and on vet advice didn't give her tablets last night and will hold off to make sure the diarrhoea has stopped before starting again. She has been known to have a sensitive tummy with new things so it could be the overload of smoked treats (if she did actually have more than one - 3 other dogs were given them too).

Anyway, she seems better today - I haven't fed her since yesterday morning (she did steal some cat food later in the day though). She keeps looking at me forlornly "I'm sooooo hungry mum!" (you know the look :)). I will wait til later to feed her but...is chicken and rice the best thing to start her back on? Can I used BBQ chicken instead of boiling some up (so I can have some too :laugh:)? Could I just give her a smaller amount of her usual food (Advance adult Chicken biscuits)? i/d from the vet?

TIA

Poor little Amber (my 15 month old Cocker Spaniel) had a number of loose (varying in degree) motions Monday night and yesterday. I think it has been caused by one of two things (or possibly both)....at my mum's on Monday she had a smoked rolled rawhide treat and possibly the other dogs' treats too (she has not had one before) plus she is being treated for a persistent ear infection with pred (delta cortef). I know that pred can sometimes cause diarrhoea and on vet advice didn't give her tablets last night and will hold off to make sure the diarrhoea has stopped before starting again. She has been known to have a sensitive tummy with new things so it could be the overload of smoked treats (if she did actually have more than one - 3 other dogs were given them too).

Anyway, she seems better today - I haven't fed her since yesterday morning (she did steal some cat food later in the day though). She keeps looking at me forlornly "I'm sooooo hungry mum!" (you know the look :)). I will wait til later to feed her but...is chicken and rice the best thing to start her back on? Can I used BBQ chicken instead of boiling some up (so I can have some too :laugh:)? Could I just give her a smaller amount of her usual food (Advance adult Chicken biscuits)? i/d from the vet?

TIA

After Gus's latest bout of gastro I had him on boiled chicken and rice for a few days. Until his stools were firmer and more 'normal'.

Was told that steamed pumpkin is good for firming up stools. Acts both ways....good for constipation as well.

I have another method (very traditional "cure")---boil very small amount of rice with a lot of water. When done(rice becomes very very soft and broken up), take the porridge water and substitute as drinking water. The porridge water is fantastic to hydrate as well as soothe the stomach. Passed down through generations---both humans and animals in my family have done well on that.

Yep chicken and rice was what the vet recommended when Dies went down last. Six small meals per day to start.

OMG - the smell of boiled chicken :) hoping I wont have to do that again in a hurry....

I made it in bulk and froze what wasn't needed in the first day and defrosted over the next week as needed

Instead of boiling it, can you microwave it? I microwave chicken that I'm going to use in sandwiches - looks jolly awful, but tastes great once you break it up. Then you can share :)

Chuck the chook into a glass casserole dish or other microwave dish with cover. Microwave time depends on size of chicken, eg No 14 chook is cooked for 14 minutes each side (hopefully I've remembered that correctly). I think the chook has to be defrosted for the times to be right, but you can do it from frozen too (increase the time and check the juices are clear).

My 13 year old is just recovering from weeks of the "squitters". She has sent me broke buying her chicken breasts to cook up for her with rice, some rolled oats and a small quantity of oat bran. Add some water and microwave the lot. Small amounts and more often is the key. She is now back on her 'normal' diet (today is the first day in 5 weeks). With an older dog it seems to take longer to get them back on to their regular food but it is better to take a little longer and do it slowly than to overload their tummy and give them the runs again.

Good luck.

Thanks for the replies everyone :eek: Had to head out for most of the day but have come home to a 'back to normal' doggy :laugh: She has done a normal poo and I have given her some chicken and rice (just a small amount) and she wolfed it down. Not surprising after a 24 hour break from food. I suspect it may have been caused by the treats she had. *note to self* - never buy smoked treats AGAIN! I made extra chicken and rice so will give her small amounts over the next few days to make sure all is ok :laugh:

Her current ear infection is only her second one but it just seems to be hanging around :laugh: Getting better now though.

In the past I have chucked a chicken frame or chicken wings or whatever bony bits I had on hand into the rice cooker when i cook the rice - add more water than usual so the rice ends up gluggy when its cooked - if the chicken had meat I add that to the rice otherwise its like a nice bowl of chicken flavoured rice.

Both of mine recently recovered from a gastrointestinal bug. Our vet recommended steamed/poached chicken with well boiled mashed potatoes (no milk or butter etc) rather than rice. It was the first time I had heard this as I'd always used chicken and rice, so asked why potato.

She said that as rice is a grain it can still irritate an inflammed bowel, whereas well cooked, well mashed potato requires very little work from the dogs digestive system to process yet it's still bland and very starchy. That made sense to me so I tried it, with great success. It seemed to settle their stomachs much faster than chicken and rice ever had.

EFS

Edited by benny123