2 Of Our Pups Got Bitten By A Snake Today.

jeddica

we have 3 puppies, two 22 week old sisters and a 18 week old male... When my husband got home from work this morning at about 11am he noticed of of the girls was foaming at the mouth and had alot of saliva all down her chest and legs, we were a bit freaked out but didnt think to much of it just kept a close eye on her. about 30mins later we noticed rambo our boy doing the same thing, both of them were really lethagic and couldnt stay up, we had a look over them and noticed a snake bite on detroits mouth (one of the girls), we rushed them straight to the vet, both tempts were high 44 and rising so they put them straight into the bath to cool them off. there eyes are the most saddest thing the third eye is completely covering there eyes, and they cant keep them open or stad up for long... were watching them tonight, they gotten bitten probably at about 10:30 this morning and its now 10pm at night so we hope they will be ok, they are very strong and have such a will to live. be thinking of our pups and praying, Ive been balling my eyes out all day but im trying to be strong, even our other girl rocky who is fine is looking sad. any one had experiences with snake bites? the vet told us that if they make it though tonight they will be ok, once there past 16hrs they have a total survival rate. he put them on a drip, but there is no way we could afford the anti-vemon its over 4000 to do both dogs but the vet said that he thinks they will be fine as it seems to be a baby snake that bit them as they would have died within 20mins of being bitten if it was a large snake.

thanks for all your prayers, support and good vibes.... Im looking at my beautiful puppies now and i cant help but not keep the tears back :eek:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about 11am he noticed of of the girls was foaming at the mouth and had alot of saliva all down her chest and legs, we were a bit freaked out but didnt think to much of it just kept a close eye on her.

Im sorry, but she was foaming at the mouth and you didnt think too much of it? :eek:

Sending good wishes for your pups, they are going to need it. :mad

Please keep the other puppy inside, the snake is still going to be around.

Edited by Cazablanca

sorry that was worded wrong - we did think much of it but wanted to see if any other symtoms occured before we took her to the vet....

yes out dogs are in the bedroom with us tonight incase anything happens...

we live on property so its a bit hard for us..... 10 hectares.... we are now going to get the electric collar system so out dogs only stay around the house area.... no more wandering especially in early summer.....

thanks for all your thoughts guys.... im heading off now to attend to them but will keep everyone posted on there progess.... I know there gonna come out on top... i hope.

Your dogs should have been put on AV. What kind of vet would tell you that it was only a baby snake so the pups would be OK. Baby elapids are venomous.

I hope for the sake of the pups they pull through.

Many years ago I came back from a neighbour's to find a freshly killed 6' brown next to the back door, but couldn't find a bite mark on any of my dogs, so decided to keep a close watch on them. After several hours of no signs I had to go out again, and returned to one of my girls (about 35kgs) with strings of foamy drool hanging from her mouth and having small tremors.

She spent 3 days at the vet on a drip and treatment and pulled through just fine - vet thought she had only received the neurological portion of the toxin, not the hemorrhagic.

For heaven's sakes start pumping them full of vitamin C powder dissolved in water - get enough vitamin C in them to cause diahrrea and you will know their systems are saturated with it and can fight off the toxins. (At least 10 - 30 gms)

For heaven's sakes start pumping them full of vitamin C powder dissolved in water - get enough vitamin C in them to cause diahrrea and you will know their systems are saturated with it and can fight off the toxins. (At least 10 - 30 gms)

There is no scientific evidence to support that. The pups are possibly already going into renal failure - vit c will just impact upon that.

Your dogs should have been put on AV. What kind of vet would tell you that it was only a baby snake so the pups would be OK. Baby elapids are venomous.

I hope for the sake of the pups they pull through.

Thats what I was thinking Raz, strange for a vet to say that.

Jeddica, hope the pups have survived the night.

ETA: Does anyone know if Anti-venom would cost that much? $4000 to treat two young dogs? :thumbsup:

Edited by Cazablanca

2 of mine were in intensive care for over a week and cost quite a bit more than that, Caz. It's not the AV that costs that much. From memory the vials were about $600 each. It's all the other treatment that adds up. Just part and parcel of dog ownership. Then there's the lengthy rehab if they survive. Over 70% of animals not treated with AV from snake bite in this country die a horrible death.

Seriously, if you had a child envenomated by a snake and didnt have private health insurance, would you just say - I dont want to pay for it so wont bother? It's the responsibility of animal owners to provide correct veterinary treatment for their sick or injured animals! Snake envenomation in dogs is horrific!

2 of mine were in intensive care for over a week and cost quite a bit more than that, Caz. It's not the AV that costs that much. From memory the vials were about $600 each. It's all the other treatment that adds up. Just part and parcel of dog ownership. Then there's the lengthy rehab if they survive. Over 70% of animals not treated with AV from snake bite in this country die a horrible death.

Seriously, if you had a child envenomated by a snake and didnt have private health insurance, would you just say - I dont want to pay for it so wont bother? It's the responsibility of animal owners to provide correct veterinary treatment for their sick or injured animals! Snake envenomation in dogs is horrific!

Holy cow, that is exy then.

I know the local vets here wont treat with anti-venom unless payment is up front. Which is kind of hard if you dont have a credit card or that amount in the bank.

To be honest, I dont have $4000 (just thinking if my two dogs got bitten) anywhere, so my dogs wouldnt get treated if I had to pay upfront. :thumbsup:

Does pet insurance cover this kind of thing? That might be an option for those who cant pay upfront.

Oh, and if it was for my child, I would hope the hospitals would treat first, and you could pay up later. I would sell my car if it came to that.

The emergency clinic I went to required a deposit upfront and if we didnt have it on the credit card, they had lists of institutions which will approve loans on the spot for vet treatment. The other option if we couldnt afford it or simply didnt want to pay it was to put the dogs to sleep immediately to save them the agony. It's a very cruel way for a dog to die.

thanks for all your support and thoughts guys, like cazablanca we couldnt afford to pay upfront in out local vet but it looks as if we are goig to have to do some thing they have made it though the night but are completely paralized we are going to the vets now, they have gone majorly down hill in about 15mins

They're going to need AV, honey. If you dont have the money you'll have to discuss the option of putting them down if you cant get a loan. It's probably too late now anyway which is a real bastard because at the very least the pups should have been kept in overnight for observation. All the best. Dreadful time for you.

Your Vet MUST get these dogs on anti-venom :thumbsup:

Any Vet worth their salt would treat a snake bite victim first and then sort out the funds side of it later on.

GE Credit has a loan scheme to pay for Vet bills.

That is why all of our dogs have PetPlan Health Insurance.We are only on pensions but we asked these dogs to come into our lives so it is our responsibilty to look after then. I would hock anything I could if needed $$ for Vet treatment.I also have Private Hospital cover for me too. I would rather live on mince and noodles than rely on the Public System .

For two dogs costs us $70 per month and it covers up to $14,000 per year per dog( less $100 excess) and PetPlan has deals with a lot of the Vets for them to be billed directly so that the owner does not have to find the massive $$

Prays going their way.

Edited by InspectorRex