2 Of Our Pups Got Bitten By A Snake Today.

jeddica

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week my Saanen Buck was bitten by what would have been a huge Tiger snake....when we found him, no more than 10mins after being bitten he was already paralysed, foaming at the mouth, frantic breathing and in obvious pain when we moved him. Jack was a big boy, as big as our cows (Dexters). If it had of been one of our Pugs I beleive they would have died before we made to the Vet....unfortunately our local Vet would have charged us near on the $4000, but I know the Vet we use for all the Pugs an hr away would have charged under a grand.

Good luck with your babies...:thumbsup:

unfortunately our local Vet would have charged us near on the $4000, but I know the Vet we use for all the Pugs an hr away would have charged under a grand.

The Vet who charges less probably doesnt have state of the art equipment and is too far to get your pugs on AV in time. In cases of snake bite - it's time not money that is of the essence.

She spent 3 days at the vet on a drip and treatment and pulled through just fine - vet thought she had only received the neurological portion of the toxin, not the hemorrhagic.

Snakes don't pick and chose which part of their venom to inject.

Now you've just shattered my belief that all vets are omnipotent beings that always know what they're talking about and are always right...

:thumbsup:

GE Credit has a loan scheme to pay for Vet bills.

:thumbsup:

*wonders who Hardly Normal are using for their interest free stuff then; looks like GE on my card*

My mistake.

They no longer do home loans or car loans.

She spent 3 days at the vet on a drip and treatment and pulled through just fine - vet thought she had only received the neurological portion of the toxin, not the hemorrhagic.

Snakes don't pick and chose which part of their venom to inject.

Now you've just shattered my belief that all vets are omnipotent beings that always know what they're talking about and are always right...

:rofl:

:confused:

What I meant was that the venom simply didn't cause whatever side effect because your dogs are special :laugh: Honestly, if a vet told me that the snake didn't inject a certain part of the venom into my dog or me I'd feel like punching him in the head, but I wouldn't, as then he wouldn't be able to treat my dog (though at this point I think I'd rather buy the venom and do it myself.)

[

:(

What I meant was that the venom simply didn't cause whatever side effect because your dogs are special :) Honestly, if a vet told me that the snake didn't inject a certain part of the venom into my dog or me I'd feel like punching him in the head, but I wouldn't, as then he wouldn't be able to treat my dog (though at this point I think I'd rather buy the venom and do it myself.)

Well, he did save the dog, so I wasn't going to argue with him at the time!

Yeah, I think he probably did know what he was talking about but just dumbed it down. I'd imagine it'd be easier to just say the snake didn't inject x part than have to explain that not all dogs react the same and then have owners worrying.

Not saying you're dumb... But most people are.

You disgust me. Whilst I understand you may not have had the money to treat these dogs, instead of sitting there watching them suffer a long and painfull process you should have done the right thing by the poor little buggers and had them pts. I couldn't sit there and watch my dogs die in pain and agony.

Ditto. Hope for the dogs sake they pull through.

I saw that post, flava, and I know exactly where the poster is coming from. Not to treat or PTS a critically ill animal because of the $ is negligent.

I agree with the sentiment from that poster - no issue but i reckon that is why the OP has not returned, especially if the pups did NOT pull through