Chicken Treats From China Beware

Lizzy06

All please beware. I was at my vet the other day and they had a flyer printed up saying to stay clear of chicken treats that have made there way on to our supermarket shelves from China. They think they cause kidney problems.

Iam so angry and distraught. My dog has pancreatitias and they think there may be something wrong with her kidneys. I used to feed her the treats they are talking about to my girl all the time as she loved them. I'm not sure if i can name the brand so i won't.

Please don't go through the same agony i'm going through. Avoid them!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at the barcode - products made in China have 690 through to 695 as the very first 3 numbers. Australia's country code is 93.

http://www.makebarcode.com/specs/ean_cc.html

Many chinese products no longer have country of origin on them as people avoid them for some strange reason, I know I do :laugh:

Here's an American link:

Pet Food Recall

Not sure if the product names are the same in Oz

Di

We have recently treated two small dogs for acquired Fanconi syndrome (a type of kidney disease) suspected of being related to imported chicken jerky treats. I'm also aware of at least 6 other suspect cases in the local area with the same brand of jerky treats having been eaten in the last few months.

We have recently treated two small dogs for acquired Fanconi syndrome (a type of kidney disease)

This is totally OT

but (and this is my claim to fame)...my Ex's uncle was Guido Fanconi (of Fanconi Syndrome and Fanconi Anaemia). :laugh:

Totally not related to us naming our puppy Guido :laugh:

Now back to your usual programming. :o

if the product is being recalled, you can post the name of it.

Also note that if a product is made in Australia there is absolutely no guarantee that it doesn't contain Chinese ingredients (there is a difference between Australian Made and Made with Australian ingredients). Even then, the Australian chicken that went into the treats could have been fed Chinese corn etc.

Unfortunately in Australia we don't require manufacturers to specify where everything comes from.

This has been public knowledge in the US for well over a year,the brands have been made public. I know waggin train is one of them.Woolies and BigW sell chicken jerky treats which are made in China,says so right on the pack.I think ALL dehydrated chicken fillets are made over there :)

If you want Australian made chicken treats, I can recommend Nature's Gift - have even been to the factory as part of a field trip :laugh:

The treats referred to here are plain dried chicken breast fillets.Much different to the treats you are describing.

Unfortunately chicken jerky are one of the few treats my fusspots will eat.

Also note that if a product is made in Australia there is absolutely no guarantee that it doesn't contain Chinese ingredients (there is a difference between Australian Made and Made with Australian ingredients). Even then, the Australian chicken that went into the treats could have been fed Chinese corn etc.

Unfortunately in Australia we don't require manufacturers to specify where everything comes from.

The product has not been recalled yet and it is sitting on our supermarket shelves still. The Sydney vet society is currently looking into this and are performing there on tests on the products. My vet just told me apparantly the company is in the process of trying to sue the vets..... gotta shake your head don't you!

They are chicken Treats, on the front they say no preservatives etc and if you read the back of the packet in small writing they say 'Made in China' avoid any treats that are made in china!

The product has not been recalled yet and it is sitting on our supermarket shelves still. The Sydney vet society is currently looking into this and are performing there on tests on the products. My vet just told me apparantly the company is in the process of trying to sue the vets..... gotta shake your head don't you!

They are chicken Treats, on the front they say no preservatives etc and if you read the back of the packet in small writing they say 'Made in China' avoid any treats that are made in china!

I spoke with my dogs vet about 5 minutes ago. Iam taking my girl down this afternoon for some follow up testing. I will ask her if i can name the brand as she told me to tell as many people as possible

Goodness, I never thought about poultry products from China being available here, and I wonder why they would be. When I was living o/s a few years back there was constant international news about bird flu.

But just now checking the packs, and yep, as mentioned, one is made in China (in microscopic sized print) and another is made in Oz from Oz poultry. I'll be checking what I buy from now on.

I personally stay clear of anything saying made in china.

Where are schmackos made?

Yeah i never thought i would buy anything from China, but i honestly didn't know they were from there. It written so small on the back of the packet. What frustrates me is that these treats were so expensive too! They make them sound so healthy and good on the packet!

I only thought food made in China would be sold in those cheap $2 shops!

Another bit of useful info. I have been told to avoid cheaply painted toys from China as well. They use nasty chemicals on them. My girls plays with toys all of the time. It makes it hard because MOST toys are from China.

I wish i knew all of this before i bought my ll girl!

I was in my vets recently and they had a sign saying the same thing as what you stated, I also did a bit of research.

I feed my dog Fit N Flash dehydrated chicken breast, it is made in Australia, but isnt available everywhere, it seems to be select vets and is about $12 a packet :rofl:

http://www.qcity.com.au/index.php?c=109&p=270

There is another brand called Dukes Chicken Breast which is made in China

http://www.qcity.com.au/index.php?c=51&p=271