Chicken Treats From China Beware

Lizzy06

I have just read through this entire thread :(. My Mum feeds the KraMar treats to her little dogs (Chi X & Mini Foxie X). The Chi cross often goes off his food, vomits, sleeps for days then bounces back like nothing has happened. Nothing has ever been pin pointed on whats wrong with him. The Minie Foxie X has shown signs of not feeling 100% in the last few weeks, then bounced back again like Theodore. Our little family dog who was PTS about 6 months back had similar symptoms, but her rear end weakness was put down to old age... i am wondering now if the chicken jerky contributed :).

I binned all treats today, all natural home made only from now on.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best thing all of us can do is go out buy our own dehydrators! You can make all sorts of jerky and treats,such as chicken breast,liver,fish,sweet potato,the list is endless! And a much cheaper option too.

Are they exy to buy and where do you get them from??? Cheers! :(

• 2 weeks later...

My 3 year old female westie, is currently being investigated for fanconi like syndrome, a possible result of eating the Kramar Chicken Strips, that have been recalled.

I had Maggie booked in to see the vet for a range of symptons which concerned me, I knew nothing about the recall...until by chance i found some information online, and nearly died, when i realised these symptons matched those that they mentioned in the recall.

I rang the vet, who told me to bring her straight in, we did a range of blood test, and urine tests...nothing inconclusive yet...but enough to concern the vet, and he will be reporting this to the University Proffessor, who is undertaking the studies for this problem

Christmas Day today, and we awake to Maggie crying, and constantly peeing... she isnt having a fun day of it. I decided to ring the vet of all days... and he agreed to meet me at his clinic...with maggie and a urine sample.. she has a severe bladder infection, which he believes is a result of the high glucose in her urine, causing the bugs to cause the infection...

Whilst we still are not sure if she has the fanconi like syndrome... related to the chicken strips, I will be taking everystep i can to make sure she is ok.

Im on tenderhooks with everything at the moment... Ive got a good country vet who will literally drop anything (including his christmas day) so im lucky.

Kramar Pet Foods, and the Dr Fleeman from Sydney Uni, will be notified of these symptons.. Meanwhile there are still no major recall announcements regarding this product. Lots of empty shelves where the product used to be...but no notice to tell you why...

My woolworths was still selling them on monday. I thought they had all been recalled but may be wrong. There were quite a few people buying treats for their dogs and if I had have seen someone going to buy them I would have steared them clear of them. Oh yes and we did have a packet here in the cupboard that mum was feeding my chihuahua, when I found out they went straight in the bin in the bin.

Is this the stuff you're all taking about?

KraMar Supa Naturals Chicken Breast Strips

My dogs got some for Christmas and have been snacking on them all morning...

Should I be worried?

I certainly wouldn't risk it until more information was available.

ok im concerned.

Im in nz.

a freind brought the dogs some chicken treats and i fed them to the dogs, a few days later bucca had diarreah with blood, on the sunday, tuesday he was rushed to vets, where he was diagnosed with pancreaitis and kidney failure.

hes still with us, but i hadnt really thought about it, but yes, he is wobbly in his back legs.

i rang my freind who gave me the treats, to find out what they were etc, where she got them.

i have poms, she has a staffy that she would have gotten some for as well

My woolworths was still selling them on monday. I thought they had all been recalled but may be wrong. There were quite a few people buying treats for their dogs and if I had have seen someone going to buy them I would have steared them clear of them. Oh yes and we did have a packet here in the cupboard that mum was feeding my chihuahua, when I found out they went straight in the bin in the bin.

They wont recall them until a "Notice of Recall" is issued I questioned them selling and putting them on the shelf, and that is what I was told by my manager...

So my issue would be to get the word out and not buy them they'll have to take them off the shelf sooner or later...

Not sure if someone posted this but...

Made in Australia, Manufacturered in Australia & Australian made all mean the food is at least 50% made of Australian ingredients and processed in Aus.

PRODUCT of Australia, requires almost ALL of the processing and ingredients to come from Australia. Not all of them, but almost all.

Product of Australia > Made in Australia > Imported.

The recall was officially announced and product should not be on shelves. I went to Kmart and returned the product i had left over... i got full refund...without receipt because it was noted as recalled.

But however there was no sign, where the product was stocked. the product had been taken off the shelves, but no sign put up to advise of the recall

which is sooooo very WRONG.

I can tell you that i will be speaking to this company when they return from christmas break.

Meanwhile i will keep careful watch on maggie...

I was really surprised to see these still for sale in my local Woolworths store Christmas Eve. Was it only a certain batch recalled?

They wont recall them until a "Notice of Recall" is issued I questioned them selling and putting them on the shelf, and that is what I was told by my manager...

So my issue would be to get the word out and not buy them they'll have to take them off the shelf sooner or later...

The recall was officially announced and product should not be on shelves. I went to Kmart and returned the product i had left over... i got full refund...without receipt because it was noted as recalled.

But however there was no sign, where the product was stocked. the product had been taken off the shelves, but no sign put up to advise of the recall

which is sooooo very WRONG.

I can tell you that i will be speaking to this company when they return from christmas break.

Meanwhile i will keep careful watch on maggie...

My Safeway had them on the shelf 3 days after the recall. I complained to the shop, and sent an email through the Woolworths customer feedback on their website. Woolworths sent me an email to tell me they had noted my complaint and would contact me through one of their state Managers. Two days later I got a voicemail message from the Manager saying he was taking the complaint very seriously and would be going out to the store to investigate. I called him back and he was on his way to the store and he said how sorry they were for the mistake. He guaranteed that it would not happen again, and was speaking to the Manager of the store where I saw them on the shelf. He seemed to take my complaint very seriously.

I urge anyone who spots this product on the shelf to advise the store Manager, and then do the feedback on the website. Woolworths website I sent the email via the "contact us" tab.

A lot of people would not be aware of this problem, so getting this off the shelf may save a dog from serious illness.

ETA the store I complained about was Niddrie, Victoria.

Edited by sumosmum

Is this the stuff you're all taking about?

KraMar Supa Naturals Chicken Breast Strips

My dogs got some for Christmas and have been snacking on them all morning...

Should I be worried?

I certainly wouldn't risk it until more information was available.

Thanks, we won't be giving them anymore.

• 5 months later...
Looks like there is a new outbreak of Fanconi-like syndrome in Australian dogs. Researchers are looking at a dental treat made without any chicken or other meat product in it this time.

http://thedailybite.wordpress.com/2009/06/...once=f9dea9b28e

Monsanto rears its ugly head yet again. I'm going to hazard a guess that in twenty years' time Monsanto will be the most sued and prosecuted company in history. Right now though, they're still successfully going about their quest for world domination (and perversion) of the food supply through genetic engineering with unfettered abandon. And untested abandon.

'Corn derivatives' used in pet food - by-products of the Monsanto LY037 genetically modified corn developed for bio-fuel? Things that make you go "what the..?"