Good Australian Kibble

megan_

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, I'm just saying that I wouldn't be satisfied with a response that doesn't directly answer the question. I'm picky like that. :rolleyes:

Thats a good point, and now that you mention it, it does seem like he is referring to the manufacturing process.

Ziwipeaks probably a good food but when I looked into it I think it worked out about $10 a kilo and thats a lot of money for a commercial food if youve got two medium sized dogs.I think the price puts it out of reach of most people lets face it you can buy meat for less than that

FreeSpirit - here are the ingredients!

Supercoat - Adult with Real Chicken

Ingredients

Meat and meat by-products (from chicken and beef), wholegrain cereals (wheat and/or sorghum), wheat bran, whole linseeds, beet pulp, iodised salt, mixed natural tocopherols (vitamin E), rosemary plant extract, vitamins (A, D, E, K, B1, B6, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, choline, biotin, B12), trace minerals (iron, zinc, copper, manganese), lutein, garlic and kelp.

Pedigree - Real Chicken

Can't copy but here is a link to ingredients http://www.pedigree.com.au/products/

Not much difference

Here are the ingrdients for a few other supermarket foods

Beneful - Healthy Radiance

INGREDIENTS

Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), salmon, brewers rice, soybean meal, sugar, sorbitol, tricalcium phosphate, soybean oil, animal digest, water, salt, phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, dicalcium phosphate, sorbic acid (a preservative), L-Lysine monohydrochloride, calcium carbonate, dried carrots, green beans, calcium propionate (a preservative), choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, added color (Yellow 5, Red 40, Yellow 6, Blue 2), DL-Methionine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin B-12 supplement, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, copper sulfate, biotin, garlic oil, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), calcium iodate, sodium selenite.

Great Barko

INGREDIENTS

Great Barko is formulated from a selection of the following ingredients. Cooked meat or meat by-products derived from beef, lamb, chicken, pork, cooked fish or fish by-products, fat, cooked cereals, wheaten bran. Canola and soy products derived from them. Lysine, methionine, antioxidant, bentonite, vitamins and minerals. Vitamins: A, D3, E, K, B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B6 (pyridoxine), B12, niacin, pantothenate, folic acid and biotin.

Minerals: Calcium, phosphorus, sodium, chloride, cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium and zinc.

Coprice - Family Dog

Ingredients

Rice, rice bran, chicken & chicken by-products, animal fat, whole linseed, dicalcium phosphate, salt, vitamins A, D3, E, K, B1 (Thiamin), B2 (Riboflavin), B6, B12, biotin, pantothenate, folic acid, niacin, choline, trace minerals (cobalt, copper, iodine, iron, manganese, selenium, zinc), mixed tocopherols, rosemary plant extracts, citric acid, kelp, garlic, yucca schidigera extract

Nature's Gift Chicken and Rice

ingredients

Fresh Chicken, Australian Poultry Meals (contains no red meat), Whole Grain Wheat, Sucrose, Rice, Food Acid (338), Glycerine, Sea Salt, Canola Oil, Calcium, Chicory root (inulin), Flax Seed, Potassium Sorbate, Natural Colours, Natural Antioxidants (307), Beta Glucans, TGOS (oligosaccharide from corn starch), MOS (oligosaccharide from yeast), herbs, Added Vitamins & Minerals incl. Copper 10mg/kg, Vitamin A 8670iu/kg, Vitamin D 429iu/kg, Vitamin E 114iu/kg.

OPTIMUM® Large Adult (dry)

INGREDIENTS

Chicken and chicken by-products; cereal protein; corn; wheat; sorghum; rice; minerals (di-calcium phosphate, potassium chloride, zinc sulphate, ferrous sulphate, copper sulphate, potassium iodide, selenium); sugar beet pulp; beef tallow;vegetable oil; salt; vegetables; chicken digest; inulin; vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, C, D, E and choline); sodium tripolyphosphate (STPP); taurine; plant extracts (marigold meal, lucerne extract, tomato powder); preservative; glucosamine hydrochloride and antioxidants.

Also Hills Science Diet

Ingredients

Chicken, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Soybean Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Iodized Salt, Vitamin E Supplement, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Of all of these IMO the nature's gift sounds the best to me as it doesn't contain corn and only one protein source so you know what's in it.

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

If buying top quality food is out of the question due to finacial reasons, such as Eagle Pack, Advance, etc what would an ok food be? I would never settle for pedigree but would supercoat be ok? i know it has some ceral in it?

Personally speaking, Supercoat is probably the last supermarket food I would feed. For a value for money dry food, I highly recommend Great Barko or Uncle Albers which are Australian made. On occasions, I have also fed my lot the Woolworths brand Chicken and Rice dry food which I am told is manufactured by Coprice, as is Woofbix which is available at Big W (same food, different packaging).

Optimum is quite ok, and I know of people who feed Beneful.

But really, in the long run, what you feed should be dictated by what your dogs do best on and what you can afford. Don't ever let yourself feel like you are being looked down on because you aren't feeding a premium food if your dogs are doing well on it. There are too many food nazis around these days.

If buying top quality food is out of the question due to finacial reasons, such as Eagle Pack, Advance, etc what would an ok food be? I would never settle for pedigree but would supercoat be ok? i know it has some ceral in it?

If you feed supercrap expect to get LOTS of poop coz theres lots of cereal stuff in it.My dogs did heaps of poop and it was soft and sticky and hard to pick up as well.From what Ive read on dogz some dogs do ok on it but mine didnt.I dont reckon its any better than pedigree maybe worse

I used to feed supercoat and never had a problem, no extra poos in the yard, dogs looked good.

Feed whatever the dogs do good on, i could feed Kaos chum and she would be ok! (ok, and i have once.. cause i was sooo broke it was the only food i could afford :rolleyes: :laugh: )

Uncle Albers/ Greak Barko are 100 times better then supercoat - a much mroe dense product without all the extra crap that leads to extra crap in your back yard :rolleyes: It's high fat and high protein so you don't feed as much of it...it's great stuff - i have access to all the good stuff at work at staff prices and i still go elsewhere to buy it - unfortuantely i haven't managed to get the bosses to supply it yet.

Personally speaking, Supercoat is probably the last supermarket food I would feed.

Optimum is quite ok, and I know of people who feed Beneful.

Zero is on a diet and I was recommended both supercoat and optimum.

Supercoat made Zero poop like crazy! He didn't lose any weight but the amount i had to clean up was incredible. I would never feed it to him again for that reason, but i know some people who do and their dogs do well on it.

Since I've put him on optimum he's lost like 5 kilos and cleaning up after him is so much easier! I'm a massive fan of it but even so, i will be changing him off it to a premium food (or maybe BARF - i haven't decided yet) when he's lost the weight because i think he could get better results on a different food.

Fair enough, I'm just saying that I wouldn't be satisfied with a response that doesn't directly answer the question. I'm picky like that. :rolleyes:

Thats a good point, and now that you mention it, it does seem like he is referring to the manufacturing process.

Did you write back for clarification, Fady?

I've just ordered a bag of the Artemis grain free food from Melbourne and postage was only $7 extra to Wangaratta so I am impressed with that bit. Hope the food is as good as the price :)

Are you sure that Artemis is not irradiated?

I've just ordered a bag of the Artemis grain free food from Melbourne and postage was only $7 extra to Wangaratta so I am impressed with that bit. Hope the food is as good as the price :)

I really want to try Benson on Artemis Maximal - but no stockists in Brissy, and thus it would be more expensive than Orijen altogether and I really can't afford Orijen anymore :(

Just had a chat to Natures Gift. The wheat is in the product to bind it and the sugar for shelf life. The meat content is approx 70% and the wheat approx 10-15%.

They have a cat range coming out in April.

Maybe if people supported these Australian companies then they would be able to produce a super premium food!

If you check with AQIS I believe you will find all imported food (human & animal) must go through a quarantine process.

If it has not been irradiated you will find it has been gassed with Methyl Bromide (99.5% nerve gas & 0.5% tear gas).

From now on... AUSSIE food for my fluppies :)

For those concerned about the irradiation of Eagle Pack foods this is the reply I got:

Good Morning

To answer your queries

In the last couple of days an article has appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald highlighting a series of ‘illness and deaths’ amongst Sydney cats linked to Orijen pet foods. Be assured that, Eagle Pack, as an importer of high quality pet food uses human grade ingredients only in our food and does not apply any un-natural chemical preservatives in the presentation of our food. We would also like to assure our customers that whilst Eagle Pack is produced in the USA we are not linked to Champion Pet Foods (producing Orijen Pet Foods).

There was also mention in this article about the use of irradiation treatment on pet foods. We are responsible to AQIS to fulfil many stringent obligations before we can bring food into this country. Once again Eagle Pack would like to assure our valued customers that our Super Premium and Holistic Select Pet Foods do not require any irradiation treatment to be sold in Australia . Eagle Pack Pet Foods are made with the finest quality ingredients backed by world renowned quality assurance procedures and processes.

Please feel free to contact us either via our customer service email address [email protected] or call Jennifer Knowles on 1300 8 EAGLE.

Kindest Regards

Phoebe Barnett

Customer Champion

Eagle Pack Petfood Pty Ltd

Unit 1/ 320 Lorimer street

Port Melbourne Vic 3207

Telephone: 1300 8 Eagle

Email: [email protected]

So it would appear Eagle Pack foods are NOT irradiated upon importation to Australia.