Good Australian Kibble

megan_

Personally speaking, Supercoat is probably the last supermarket food I would feed. For a value for money dry food, I highly recommend Great Barko or Uncle Albers which are Australian made. On occasions, I have also fed my lot the Woolworths brand Chicken and Rice dry food which I am told is manufactured by Coprice, as is Woofbix which is available at Big W (same food, different packaging).

what's the difference between great barko and uncle albers?

i sometimes get unlce albers at the feed store for when i run our of meat/bones/cut offs etc

and apart from unlce albers having slightly more (think its 2%) protein than great barko

what's the difference between them, - they're the same price and made by same manufacturer?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a chat to Natures Gift. The wheat is in the product to bind it and the sugar for shelf life. The meat content is approx 70% and the wheat approx 10-15%.

They have a cat range coming out in April.

Maybe if people supported these Australian companies then they would be able to produce a super premium food!

Hey Jules any idea how much a 4 kg bag is? Also do you know if they going to start making larger bags?

Fair enough, I'm just saying that I wouldn't be satisfied with a response that doesn't directly answer the question. I'm picky like that. :)

Thats a good point, and now that you mention it, it does seem like he is referring to the manufacturing process.

Did you write back for clarification, Fady?

Yes I have Sheridan, just waiting on the reply.

Nothing on their website about bigger bags. They might not be able to make a bigger bag as the product is semi-dry not a totally hard kibble so there might be issues with it going off.

I honestly can't remember the price but think it was around the same price as Pedigree. Last bag I got was the 1kg for about $4 but it was on special.

Nothing on their website about bigger bags. They might not be able to make a bigger bag as the product is semi-dry not a totally hard kibble so there might be issues with it going off.

I honestly can't remember the price but think it was around the same price as Pedigree. Last bag I got was the 1kg for about $4 but it was on special.

Aaahh I see - cool well once we have done this next food trial, I am going to put my boy on that, as that's sounds more like my price range.

Thank you! :)

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

i sometimes get unlce albers at the feed store for when i run our of meat/bones/cut offs etc

and apart from unlce albers having slightly more (think its 2%) protein than great barko

what's the difference between them, - they're the same price and made by same manufacturer?

Uncle Albers is higher in protein and is beef/chicken, Great Barko is beef/lamb. Apart from that, I couldn't tell you! :happydance2:

I recently checked out the price of dry food at the supermarket and was shocked that I was paying close to the same price for Advance...I know which one i'd rather be buying!

http://www.advancedpetnutrition.com.au/product.aspx These are the ingredients in Adavance Adult All Breed - Not really a huge different between this and Hills Science Diet or Optimum.

Approx Prices & Kgs

Adavance - $98ish =15kgs

Optimum - Can't find price

Hills SD - $95ish = 15kgs

i.e these equal around $6 a kilo!

I recently checked out the price of dry food at the supermarket and was shocked that I was paying close to the same price for Advance...I know which one i'd rather be buying!

http://www.advancedpetnutrition.com.au/product.aspx These are the ingredients in Adavance Adult All Breed - Not really a huge different between this and Hills Science Diet or Optimum.

Approx Prices & Kgs

Adavance - $98ish =15kgs

Optimum - Can't find price

Hills SD - $95ish = 15kgs

i.e these equal around $6 a kilo!

Wow... you could feed a really good raw diet on that amount of money...

Thanks for all the info guys. I might give supercoat a miss next time, she does crap alot and no matter how much food i feed her she still looks a bit skinny. (she gets 1kg Scotty's Premiun dog roll and about 2ltr biscuits a day and a whole egg and shell everyone couple of days !!! :happydance2: ) Plus good quality scraps now and again from leftovers in the fridge.

I've tried hills but she wouldnt eat it and its too expensive and advance same there.

Actually I'm really over the whole kibble debate. Since Nutro was taken off the market I've tried three different dry foods and haven't been completely happy with any of them. I'm currently using Orijen, but after three months the dogs are still getting the odd runny poo which they never had with Nutro. I'm seriously considering ditching dry food altogether and feeding a home made diet.

Uncle Albers is higher in protein and is beef/chicken, Great Barko is beef/lamb. Apart from that, I couldn't tell you! :happydance2:

:laugh:

Actually I'm really over the whole kibble debate. Since Nutro was taken off the market I've tried three different dry foods and haven't been completely happy with any of them. I'm currently using Orijen, but after three months the dogs are still getting the odd runny poo which they never had with Nutro. I'm seriously considering ditching dry food altogether and feeding a home made diet.

agreed

my dogs get the lamb/beef off cuts and bones etc bcz its cheaper

and they do better on it than any dry food.

dry food is my dog food equivalent to fast food / take away -

unlce albers is my dog mcdonalds of choice

bcz quite simply its the best value for money and is in the next ailse to the horse feed :laugh:

I never have fed dry food on its own, always comes with calf weaning milk, sardines, or egg.

A 15kg bag of any brand would last me 3-4 days and it doesn't matter if its royal canin, eukanuba, hills, optimum or uncle albers.

Much easier to throw lambs necks and bones out to the dogs

than cook up a storm with bucket loads of kibble and sardine/egg appertiser.

Les rubbish, less s**t, less preparation, less money - much better all round :laugh:

if only I could feed the horses the same :happydance2:

Edited by lilli

Thanks for all the info guys. I might give supercoat a miss next time, she does crap alot and no matter how much food i feed her she still looks a bit skinny. (she gets 1kg Scotty's Premiun dog roll and about 2ltr biscuits a day and a whole egg and shell everyone couple of days !!! :happydance2: ) Plus good quality scraps now and again from leftovers in the fridge.

Hmmm....you could find the dog roll is contributing to the extra output. It's kind of like expecting us to live on a diet of Spam. Would also be expensive I'd imagine.

Dog roll is great for travelling or if you are busy, out of everything else or just can't be stuffed, but I certainly wouldn't feed it as a basis for a diet.

Watch your kitties if you are feeding Orijen to your pups still. There is a report on Catworld of a kitty getting ill after pinching the dog's Orijen.

The other option that hasn't been mentioned is the Vets All Nature or Phuds (from Browns Herbal). Lots of oats etc in these products but I fed Phuds for a while with no problems and the dogs loved it. It is just like porridge and you add meat to it. Just another idea!

my dogs get the lamb/beef off cuts and bones etc bcz its cheaper

and they do better on it than any dry food.

Lilli do you find that they hold their weight without dry food? I have a young male here who tends to be a bit light on and I'm worried that if I drop the dry he may get even thinner.