Good Australian Kibble

megan_

I don't know about Orijen or EP or any of those but an Australian made kibble that I HIGHLY recommend is Great Barko.

Manufactured in Australia by the Laucke Mills in South Australia. My dogs all do very well on it, probably TOO well in some cases and not one of them, not even the fussiest ever turns their nose up at it.

I know about Orijen and EP etc....but i'd also recommend Great Barko/Uncle Albers and yeah my boys do extremely well on it - and i used to feed things like Euk/Advance/RC/and a few other high premium brands - and for the cost vs the quality i've been very very happy with the Laucke Mills stuff :laugh:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand how irradiating a product 'contaminates' it with a neurotoxin I may not be a nuclear physicist but that sounds iffy to me.

It is more likely that the bag containing the food is affected.

QUOTE (Cavandra @ 25th Nov 2008 - 08:02 AM)

Having recently investigated importing a range of pet products including holistic brand food, I found that ALL imported food stuffs are irradiated before being released, it is a customs requirement.

As K9Katz said, this is incorrect information you've been given, Cavandra. Not every petfood is irradiated.

I for one would like to see irradiation stickers on any product that has been subject to the process, whether for human or pet consumption. I would also like to get a lot more information about this, before excluding products based upon their origin or any processes they undergo.

Sags

Time to buy Australian I think!

Nature's Gift also have a kibble. I've used their tin food on and off for over 18 years and never had a problem with it. Their website says that they are going to do cat food too.

I've also been using Great Barko, bag nearly finished. The dogs love it. I have seen no change in coat condition. No farting etc!

I feed raw as well as kibble.

Unfortunately, all the Australian ones have chicken as their base and chicken as the animal fat. I feed Eukanuba FP and EP Holistic Salmon and Anchovy precisely because they don't contain chicken. So far, I've not had an issue with either food and my dogs don't glow in the dark yet.

Guest belgian.blue

Oh wow this is all new to me! I'm feeding Ivy California Natural while I'm away and she's doing well on it. Much much easier to feed dry while I'm not at home than fuss around chopping up raw meat with little kiddies about the place!

Natures Gift dry food, where can one buy this? California Natural is also quite pricy too.

http://www.naturesgift.com.au/dry

http://www.naturesgift.com.au/australia

Haven't seen it at the supermarket yet - to me the ingredients are much clearer than what Great Barko contains and was wondering if it would be economical to feed. See I am struggling to find the cash for orijen - even though I love it! Also this seems to be the best that you can find in oz so no risk of fluro dog, plus hopefully cheaper as it is not imported.

I agree wheat/sugar not the best but I would rather know the actual ingredients than just reading cereals on the ingredients list.

I know its a long shot, but does anyone know if Ziwipeak is irradiated?

Im planning on trying my dog on it but would like to know before I pay an arm and a leg for it.

Its made in New Zealand, if that helps anyone.

I have sent them an email, but no reply yet.

Thanks,

Fady

Edited by Fady

I found this which suggests there are certain NZ and US places that can send food here that doesn't get zapped.

6. Further to the requirement for an Import Permit, all (animal derived) dry pet food, other than rawhide chews, must undergo significant processing in an establishment approved by AQIS. The approval process involves an individual AQIS desk audit. Additional requirements for an on-site audit will be assessed on a case-by-case basis as part of the desk audit. All expenses relating to audits are to be borne by the importer. The following exceptions apply:

a) Product that is to be gamma irradiated on arrival at 50 kGray (5Mrad).

b) New Zealand product where the animal by-products are derived from premises licensed pursuant to the Meat Act 1981 or approved by the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF) and produced in accordance with New Zealand law.

c) USA product where the manufacturing facility/ies are approved by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and registered as approved for export to Australia.

Got a reply on the Ziwipeak :laugh:

Hello Fady

Thank you for your enquiry. I can assure you that no ZiwiPeak product is irradiated. Our dry range is simply air dried under low temperature until the moisture is low enough that micro-organisms do not grow and our canned range is retorted, which means cooked under pressure and low temperature.

ZiwiPeak is the natural petfood and we would never compromise it in anyway. I hope this alleviates your concern.

Kind regards

Geoff

Now my only problem is the price. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to feeding. Even raw diets run their risks, as we see from time. Any food - and I do mean ANY food may be recalled in the future. A visit to any supermarket is a reminder of the regularity this happens within human consumption products.

Sags

Got a reply on the Ziwipeak :laugh:
Hello Fady

Thank you for your enquiry. I can assure you that no ZiwiPeak product is irradiated. Our dry range is simply air dried under low temperature until the moisture is low enough that micro-organisms do not grow and our canned range is retorted, which means cooked under pressure and low temperature.

ZiwiPeak is the natural petfood and we would never compromise it in anyway. I hope this alleviates your concern.

Kind regards

Geoff

Now my only problem is the price. :rolleyes:

They seem to have replied about how their product is made, not whether it is irradiated by AQIS after being imported in to Australia.

This is what I asked:

Hello,

I am just curious about Ziwipeak products that are imported into Australia and if they are irradiated before or after comming here.

I know that certain dog foods are required by law to be irradiated for quarantine reasons.

Does this apply for Ziwipeak?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Fady