Good Australian Kibble

megan_

So as a summary (because I'm completely confused about what to feed the boy), Artemis is a good product, so is Eagle Pack (if you're looking for a dog food without grains). Nature's gift is out for me as it contains sugar (Henschke reacts badly to sugar). The 'Z' product from New Zealand sounds good - but oh, my, the price...

Best to try, try and try again to see what product suits your dog.

My problem is that we have a 6 month old and are about to get a young adult - is there something I can feed the both of them without having to buy 2 different food types (i.e. puppy and adult)?

Eagle Pack has grains.

Sometimes the only difference between puppy and adult foods is the size of the pieces, check the ingredients of the ones you had in mind they could be the same.

Cheers,

Fady

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as a summary (because I'm completely confused about what to feed the boy), Artemis is a good product, so is Eagle Pack (if you're looking for a dog food without grains). Nature's gift is out for me as it contains sugar (Henschke reacts badly to sugar). The 'Z' product from New Zealand sounds good - but oh, my, the price...

My problem is that we have a 6 month old and are about to get a young adult - is there something I can feed the both of them without having to buy 2 different food types (i.e. puppy and adult)?

The only grain free food not stocked by Pets Hell is Artemis Fresh Mix Maximal Dog. Poochmad - I would contact Judith on [email protected] , also it is not irradiated and my understanding can be feed to puppy/adult. Also do be aware that it does not contain Beet Pulp - a substance found in most dog foods to make stools firm, so a change to it may take the dog's digestive system a little while to get use to.

edit 4sp

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

The only grain free food not stocked by Pets Hell is Artemis Fresh Mix Maximal Dog. Poochmad - I would contact Judith on [email protected] , also it is not irradiated and my understanding can be feed to puppy/adult. Also do be aware that it does not contain Beet Pulp - a substance found in most dog foods to make stools firm, so a change to it may take the dog's digestive system a little while to get use to.

edit 4sp

What about ZiwiPeak?

I got another reply from Ziwipeak:
Hello Fady

It is definitely not irradiated by AQIS. We ship direct to our distributor in a locked, sealed container. We dry to Australian standards and they have no need to irradiate ZiwiPeak and don’t.

I can assure you ZiwiPeak is not irradiated!!

Thanks again for your thoughts and concern.

Geoff

Thanks for that Fady. I was completely oblivious to all this until a couple of days ago, and i was wondering why my delivery of Orijen came with a sample of Ziwipeak the other week... The puppies loved Ziwi though, so it's good to know they're safe to switch to.

Got my bags of artemis yesterday and am slowly switching my dogs over. Looks quite good.

Spoke to Judith and she assures me that Artemis does not go under any irradiation or gassing. So :love: there!

Also - be careful with your Aussie products too. Spoke to a few people about this and there is a plant in Melb that does irradiate/ gas a lot of *australian* dry food also! So be careful with whatever you buy :rofl:

Actually I'm really over the whole kibble debate. Since Nutro was taken off the market I've tried three different dry foods and haven't been completely happy with any of them. I'm currently using Orijen, but after three months the dogs are still getting the odd runny poo which they never had with Nutro. I'm seriously considering ditching dry food altogether and feeding a home made diet.

Miranda - ditto! We switched to raw a few months back now and I'll never look back...dogs look fantastic :love:

I am going back to raw too, well BARF but not those patties. Just deciding if I will use the Phuds as it does have alot of the supplements I would give anyway.

The cats are a problem though as they are fussy little buggers!!!

Has any one tried "My dog" - I know it is a nasty supermarket one and I can't find the ingrediants on the internet.

The ocean one the fussy fussy whippet loves and it has lots of actual little fishies in there. Figuired it couldnt be too bad as a back up.

Hmmm - what recipes do people use for their barf instead of patties, hard to find info easily

I have been mixing mince steak, chicken necks (cut into 1/2 inch pieces) veges and eggs mixed together and frozen in small portions for Sophie.

She is doing very well on it but wonder if I should give her some dry food as well. Will look for Great Barko, Uncle Albers or Natures Gift tomorrow. Are they all sold in supermarkets?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

while I was at the local fresh dog food place I found a product by Petco Pty Ltd Australia (they make enduro), its called

Vitalife - hypoallergenic

I checked the ingredients and the first ingredient is Roo meal, sorry can't remember the rest off hand. But they were good

The fussy whippets love it and look good and of couse the ever famous poos are good.

1kg $10 - which isn't too bad

since the orijen disaster have been having trouble so for all those out there in the same pile of S*#t.

If you want more info on ingredients etc PM me and I will write them down.

I bought it in Sunshine Coast at TLC in Yandina if anyone up here is interested