Orijien

poochmad

When we first got Henschke we looked at food to feed him as he was eating Advance Puppy and he just had sloppy poos all the time and he was constantly scratching. I read about Orijien, how it made poos harder, coat shiny and stops scratching...

So he's been on it for 4 months now and to be honest I'm wondering if I need to change foods again. He's not scratching, but every second poo he does is sloppy. It's become such a regular thing we dance if he does a hard poo!

His coat is lovely and shiny, but that could be because we give him a teaspoon of sardines in his meal.

Has anyone else tried Orijien and been disappointed? If you moved to something else, what did you move to and what was the result?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well with Orijen cat food problem I think most of people (if not all!) will stop feeding Orijen.

I loved Orijen. My dogs loved it and did great on it (no problems at all).

I ordered some Artemis today. I tried it before and my dogs didn't like it as much as Orijen. However I don't have a choice now as I want to feed grainless food.

I changed my lot over to Orijen from EP Holistic. The results? Nothing outstanding other than sloppy poos!

So I am going back to EP Holistic. They did really well on that, I don't know why I changed in the first place .

Having said that I am tempted to look at the Artemis, but still not to sure on the whole high protein debate.

I was on EP fish , then went to Orijen, and now am goin back to EP Fish. I would prefer grainless & beetpulp less, but i think EP fish is the best of the bunch. Ziwipeak is hard to get in the 1kg pack and Artimis (sp?) is not widley available in NSW.

I use kibble for about 40% of the diet, and i think aftre the Orijen fiasco, its better to spread between a dry food for convenience and BARF or homemade for balance.

Alas, it's not a matter of 'if' any more. Orijen is pulling out of Australia, so it's not a choice any more. I'm going back to Royal Canin. It was at the top of the ingredient list I posted in the other thread, until Orijen came along. And now it's back at the top again.

I mentioned in another thread that I tried DVP's Natural Balance and it smelled so good I was tempted to try it myself. The kibble is much larger than Orijen though which requires several crunches to swallow. Maybe good for teeth as well then.

Has anyone else tried Orijien and been disappointed? If you moved to something else, what did you move to and what was the result?

I've been using it as a minor part of my guys diet - they loved it and did well on it, in fact porked up a bit.

I tried artemis before orijen and it didn't suit one of my two, fine for the other.

Now rethinking my kibble options.. (due to supply stopping)

- Getting Artemis in NSW by mail order was no problem btw - might be a rush on it now though.

Edited by dwynwen

I'm feeding my pup Nutrience, he didn't eat much of it before but I guess he is getting used to it now and he eats more and more nowadays. Poo seems to be fine so far, but he has been scratching and biting his own legs. I didn't know that the scratching and biting could be caused by the food as well until I read this thread. Do you guys think I should consider changing his diet? He didn't eat much of the Nutrience before and made me wanna change to orijen, now that I don't even dare to think about it. It's giving me headache now I'm not sure whether I should change his diet or should I just stick with it. Pls give me some advice :laugh:

I'm feeding my pup Nutrience, he didn't eat much of it before but I guess he is getting used to it now and he eats more and more nowadays. Poo seems to be fine so far, but he has been scratching and biting his own legs. I didn't know that the scratching and biting could be caused by the food as well until I read this thread. Do you guys think I should consider changing his diet? He didn't eat much of the Nutrience before and made me wanna change to orijen, now that I don't even dare to think about it. It's giving me headache now I'm not sure whether I should change his diet or should I just stick with it. Pls give me some advice :laugh:

Sorry I am a little confused. Are you feeding your pup Orijen or Nutrience? I personally would stop using Orijen.

When Cherry had the terrible rash and allergies (she had them for years!) we finally changed her over to Royal Canin and she loved it, completely stopped her scratching :laugh:

Now I've changed her over to a BARF diet, but I wouldn't hesitate to feed RC again if she needed some dried.

I'm feeding my pup Nutrience, he didn't eat much of it before but I guess he is getting used to it now and he eats more and more nowadays. Poo seems to be fine so far, but he has been scratching and biting his own legs. I didn't know that the scratching and biting could be caused by the food as well until I read this thread. Do you guys think I should consider changing his diet? He didn't eat much of the Nutrience before and made me wanna change to orijen, now that I don't even dare to think about it. It's giving me headache now I'm not sure whether I should change his diet or should I just stick with it. Pls give me some advice :provoke:

Sorry I am a little confused. Are you feeding your pup Orijen or Nutrience? I personally would stop using Orijen.

I am feeding him Nutrience...

I feed one of my dogs Origen, are there any other foods that are Totally Grain Free? Thanks

Artemis has a grain free type. Ziwipeak is also grain free AFAIK.

huski - RC isn't an option for me, too many preservatives for Darcy.

Ziwipeak is hard to get in the 1kg pack and Artimis (sp?) is not widley available in NSW.

Ask whoever you buy the Ziwipeak from to order 1kg and you'll get it. We always stock it as the bigger bags suit those who have already "tested" it on their dogs. Any retailer that stocks Prestige products can order and of the Ziwipeak range.

Artemis can easily be purchaed via the main website there is a list of retailers as well.

Someone asked about grain free: Artemis Maximal is grain free and single protein source. Ziwipeak is grain free but not a "kibble", it is air dried. Barf Patties are grain free. Evo is grain free (available only from Pets Paradise and its subsidiaries which includes Pet Goods Direct).

Hope this helps.

Sags

What a pity I ordered a 13kg bag! I just checked the Pookinuk website where I purchase Orijen from and they are advising it's no longer available...so I guess I will be forced to try a new food regardles...

Sagittarian - what are barf patties?

Poochmad, you may be able to get a refund as Orijen is no longer selling in Australia. You can definitely get a refund for their cat food but it's worth checking for the dog food as well.

ETA Pookinuk would not be out of pocket as Orijen is funding the recall.

Edited by mrmac

Poochmad, you may be able to get a refund as Orijen is no longer selling in Australia. You can definitely get a refund for their cat food but it's worth checking for the dog food as well.

You may get a refund on unopened dog food only as there in no recall on the dog food,just no longer selling it

Edited by 4 Paws

You may get a refund on unopened dog food only as there in no recall on the dog food,just no longer selling it

Oh bugger!

As a retailer, I hope you're not left with heaps of unwanted stock :provoke: