Hives?

Tobias

My 5m old BBD Floyd has, it looks like hives? I'm not sure what has caused it so I'm keeping him indoors and staying with him when he has to potty. I changed his food but he had them before that. The vet sad it looks like a rash from something, food, shampoo, ect? I have a pic here. Can you give dogs antihistamines(sp?)? My daughter has had them and we did coaltar baths can you do that for dogs? Vet wasn't very helpful my, normal vet is on holidays :laugh: He is playing and eating just like normal. Any Ideas? :o

014.jpg

013.jpg

010-1.jpg

Could be a contact irritant - a plant is highly possible considering where they bumps are. Do you have any wandering jew?

Are they itchy? Are they all over or just on the belly and face? Have they come up suddenly? If they aren't worrying the dog in anyway way I wouldn't be too concerned with needing to give any medication, unless they get worse.

You can give antihistamines to dogs but the dose rate varies with each one. Your vet should be able to give you specific dose rates. I use a dog specific coal tar shampoo for my dog and that does help to relieve his dry itchy skin. A cool water rinse might offer some relief if he's itchy, and will also help to rinse off some of the irritant if its from plant pollen etc...

Stormie - Thanks! No I don't think we have any wandering jew but he does lay in my herb garden sometimes :laugh: He has been known to eat my rosemery and roll in dogbane (which by the way is supposed to keep dogs out of gardens). :laugh: It is on his front legs and face but not his back, neck or ears. I wasn't all at once, there was a spot on the underside of his left back leg my OH noticed about 2 weeks ago. I put come cream on it and he was fine. About 5 days ago it started spreading to where it is now. I think your right a plant has done it because he will lay and EAT anything! He is a little itchy but not digging like mad or anything.

puppy puppy - I'll do that! :o He was on Orijin but I have him on Royal Canin Maxi Junior now. It may have been the Orijin, maybe, but he had it before I put him on the RC.

Edited by Tobias

• 3 weeks later...

The absolute best thing that I have tried on my Staffy who is a red nose and therefore has higher sensitivity to EVERYTHING!. Benadryl Original Formula... none of the fancy Chesty Forte stuff. My dog Cali was breaking out big time, Vet said mange Dermadectic Mange but I didn't think so. Also bought some shampoo from Dermacare off Ebay and use it once a week. She looks like a new dog, sure there are a few bumps once in a while but nothing compared to what she had previously (bumps and hair loss). Powder Vitamin C a teaspoon a day also helps. This has been the cheapest and most effective treatment considering I have no idea what it is that sets off her symptoms.

It actually looks like a case of puppy pimples.

My pug puppy had a case of these especially on her

belly groin area. Some of the lumps where quite big under the skin,

so I think she had a course of antibiotics and washed the area every day or

2 with an antibacterial shampoo- Maleseb act.

Martha had a very similar-looking rash at about 5 months. The vet gave us Neotopic-H cream, which is an antibiotic and anti-histamine, I think. It cleared up within a couple of days.

She's since had some small pimples on her vulva.

The vet was pretty sure both are an allergy of some sort, possibly to grasses. Although I must say it hasn't been worked out to my satisfaction yet.

Hmmm I reckon it's puppy pimples too!

Snot got lots of puppy pimples around the same age (as diagnosed by vet) in the exact same spots.

They go away eventually, some of them got white heads and we squeezed and put cream on - gross, I know.

But otherwise, just try to keep the area clean, maybe wipe with a really weak disinfectant once a day.

My Golden Retriever I used to have now passed on, but she came out in exactly the same thing got her out of her bed and found a huge black spider. I kept applying creams and stuff for it, but because she loved licking everything in sight, it didnt really have any chance of healing. Until I put an elizabethan on and it had a chance to heal.

We have now posted our first minor questionaire on our website.

Its designed to collect info to help us try to see patterns in the issues dogs suffer with

We're asking for everyone who has had or who still has a sick dog to

give us a few minutes to answer the questions for us. You will need to re do it for each dog

and if its something that's happening now you are able to go back and update the info.

It comes up as a pop up or a link at the top under survey on the front page of our website.

www.mdba.net.au

Julie