Buying Meat In Bulk

MissMaddy

After all of the stuff that's happened with dog and cat foods, I'm thinking I'd like to feed them raw food so I know what they're getting and where it came from. I've always wanted to put my guys on raw, but this has been the push I've needed.

So, as a result, I'm wanting recommendations on where to buy meat in bulk from. I'd prefer human grade, but pet grade without preservatives should be ok (that I know of, feel free to educate me if it's not). I'm in inner SE suburbs of Melbourne, but don't mind traveling if I can get it in bulk at a decent price.

As I'm interested in BARF diets, somewhere to get fruit and veges would be good as well. :)

Thanks in advance.

I think some chicken farms sell to the public.

Kangaroo & Minced meat you can buy from Pet Produce Stores

As for other meat maybe some abbatoirs sell to the public or I have seen ad's on TV for discount meat places.

Veggies maybe try a market if you have one close.

I buy the dogs chicken necks from Lenards, lamb bones & offal from a local butcher, kangaroo meat from the Pet Produce Store & veggies/fruit from the local supermarket.

I have tried buying from markets but they didn't seem that much cheaper and by the time I factored in petrol and the length of time it took to get there it isn't worth it for me.

send a message to Isiss she gets her meat from somewhere that does the vergie thing too, also Shoey uses them as well i think

Don't know if they are using the same one still, but I went to PetChow in Mulgrave on Shoeys recommendation. They do the veggy part too so i think the same place?

Pet Chow

903a Springvale Rd Mulgrave

ph: (03) 9548 2796

I primarily used Priority Pets (Didn't sell pets when i went there) They have a larger supply and variety than Pet Chow did but didnt do the vegetable part.

154 Cheltenham Rd Dandenong

ph: (03) 9791 8877

For veggies i used the Farmers Market shop in Narre Warren, across from The Warehouse.

When i was feeding BARF, i tended to go for beef or lamb for their meat, as they were already getting a large amount of chicken through the bones already.

Edited by tollersowned

Wow, thanks for all of the replies!

I'll be staying near Dandenong for the next few weeks, so will definitely try a few places out there mentioned. I think 200kg at once might be a bit too much though, I only have a dog and cat! I think I better get a chest freezer! I don't give her much beef as she gets itchy skin sometimes, and when she was a puppy every time I gave her roo more than once she threw it up. Have been using chicken, rabbit, beef rarely, and lamb. I found a place in Thornbury that sells extra meat such as camel and ox, but wasn't sure which would agree with her.

I just wanted to say I used to go to Priority Pets all the time, I'm in the same area; then someone recommended me to Mega Pet Warehouse at Dandenong. They sell heaps of different varieties of meat and I must say one thing which impressed me was that you can buy raw beef / chicken with vegetables, much less time consuming. My 2 dogs loved it. The people at Priority Pets are very helpful though, if you need any info on foods etc. Try both of them I would recommend. Mega pet Warehouse have the cheapest prices and best quality meat I've bought for my dogs anyway.

Edited by luvs_mutts

I use Priority Pets and haven't had any problems. I buy their lean beef (as Bianca can get a bit porky given the chance) and their minced roo for the cats. Also get kibble and grey bikkies (2x4s or 4x4s) there. You can ring up and order the meat in advance so it is ready when you get there, or put in a regular order. You can get other types of loaves there (eg with veg), but Bianca didn't like those much. Also frozen chicken frames, lamb shanks etc.

I buy chicken frames from the chicken shop on the top floor of Dandenong Plaza, usually $0.85 a bag of 4 (or 3 large ones), but sometimes I'm lucky and get 2 bags for $1 (8 frames last time). They weren't pongy either. The butcher down the "hall" a bit (next to the chinese veggie shop - which is also pretty cheap sometimes) also has pretty cheap chicken frames.

When i was at mega pet warehouse they had this blue dye sprayed on all their raw meat? Has this changed?

When I was last at my Local Mega Pet Warehouse I asked about their meat, they told me it contained preservatives, they did say you can order their meat without it, but you have to give them so many days notice.

It is very hard to find places where they do not pump their meat full of preservatives.