Microchipping

BittyMooPeeb

We get our little girl in a few weeks and I asked our breeder if she would be chipped - the response was that at 8 weeks they do not have enough fat between their shoulders and it hurts them to much so she doesnt do it. She has recommended I do it at 14 - 16 weeks with the last needle.

Edited by gmc

That is an interesting concept. Don't want to cast aspersions on the breeder but it sounds to me like they're rather skilfully ensuring that the cost comes out of your pocket rather than theirs.

Let's face it, forcing a needle that isn't much smaller than the casing of a ballpoint pen into the skin and inserting a chip the size of a grain of rice is going to be painful no matter HOW big or small the dog concerned.

That is an interesting concept. Don't want to cast aspersions on the breeder but it sounds to me like they're rather skilfully ensuring that the cost comes out of your pocket rather than theirs.

Let's face it, forcing a needle that isn't much smaller than the casing of a ballpoint pen into the skin and inserting a chip the size of a grain of rice is going to be painful no matter HOW big or small the dog concerned.

Classic case of cost shifting. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree

My older dogs were all microchipped at at least 6 months old and was painful

Had a litter that was microchipped at 8 weeks when having first vaccination and was much less painful for them at that age.

im a registered chipper and basically i have found the younger the better to some extent - most young pups dont really care - but as with people some just squeel no matter what you do - ive had a kitten squeel and bite at just being held - nowhere near the needle!

youre going under the skin - so fat doesnt have anything to do with it...

if i were a breeder i would chip and pass on the cost in the price of the pup...why wouldnt you?

Mine made more noise about their vaccinations than they did about the chips. But mind you, the vax took longer. The chip took merely seconds to put in.

One of them bled like a stuck pig. My vet commented that it was typical, if he'd been trying to find a vein he never would have found one! Pup was leaking red stuff everywhere and all he wanted to do was wag his tail and kiss everybody. :)

My puppies are all done at 6 weeks and I do it for myself!! As someone stated, you can try to find the best homes, but sometimes things don't turn out that way and if the dog ends up in the pound, I will be notified and can then take responsibility to get that puppy before it moves on to who know s where!! I have been lucky and know all of mine are safely in the homes they went to at 10 weeks old, but you just never know..

My Bullie babies were to busy playing with the food they were give by the vet to worry about the quick Jab..

A breeder that does not chip before selling, doesn't want the extra expense or doesn't care for the welfare of the puppies??. Why bother breeding if you don't care where your puppies could end up with no way of identifying them??

As for what state scan for chips, what if the puppy ends up in another state.. I would still do it for my peace of mind compulsory or not..

Our baby was done before he came home and I am so grateful that he was. It is peace of mind for both the breeder and the new owner. As a new owner I certainly don't mind covering the expense as part of the purchase price, you do for vaccinations and desexing (if done prior to purchase) so why not expect your pup to be chipped too.