Dental Care

sithspawn

Hey guys. I remember not that long ago there was a post on here that described a dental care product that came in a pack. THe pack included stuff to put in drinking water, and tooth paste and a couple of other nifty little things. If anyone knows what im talking baout could they please give me the name? I have searched the forum and cant seem to find it :eek:

Other than this, what do you generally use for dental care? A couple of years ago i would have laughed at the idea of brushing a dogs teeth, but after reading that dogs can suffer the same dental diseases we can, im changed my mind. Apparently routine dental care can add years to your dogs life. Sounds worthwhile to me ;)

Any ideas are welcome and opinions are welcome!! :eek:

I cannot use bones on Lillie as she has pocket gintivitis I have something I put in the water to improve her gums I will go and note it down this weekend if you wish.

She will also happily chew on the greenies so that may work as well.

And the Dentabones also.

2 of my dogs are banned from eating bones by the vet so this is what I use to clean their teeth.

I believe you can also buy biscuits that do this as well.

ooh I know of that water thing I will just go look it up...

edit: it's called oxy fresh

For those who think their dog's teeth are doing well on bones could you lift up their lip and see if there is any discolouring on the big fang tooth ( ;) ) near the gum line?

Edited by Vehs

Thanks for listing that product! Will keep an eye out for it... can cats have it as well.

My four all get bones, which does a pretty good job, but my vet will also scale teeth for free (as long a said pet doesn't need anesthetic to do so!)... thankfully, except my aby cat, the rest will tolerate it.

edit: it's called oxy fresh

Thanks for that vehs!! ;)

I cannot use bones on Lillie as she has pocket gintivitis I have something I put in the water to improve her gums I will go and note it down this weekend if you wish.

Sure, would still like to hear different types (if it is different)

I know bones are good for a dogs teeth, but i wasnt sure if you still needed to use some sort of other dental care product while you are using it. Does anyone here actually brush their dogs teeth?

Greenies!

Greenies are really good because they have been proven effective in preventing buildup of dental tartar, they help smelly breath by treating any bacteria in the mouth and they strengthen gums. They are all natural except for the palatabilty enhancer (I'm not sure what it is but it's an artifical flavour I assume).

The company has a website www.greenies.com and they are available in a lot of vet clinics (all three I work in or go to regularly have them) and most pet stores will stock them or be able to get them in for you.

You CAN brush your dog's teeth- my mum used to brush our elderly Malt X Silky girl's teeth every day using a little rubber thing that goes over your finger and you rub the teeth with it.

You can also use a child's toothbrush and doggy toothpaste if you wish. I don't know how well this works, but I've started brushing Caber's teeth with a soft toothbrush- more to get him used to mouth handling than anything at the moment.

yeah i bought a little pack yesterday that has two that fit over your fingers. One is for teeth, the other is a gum massager.

ill have a look into those greenies things

edit: oh and where can you buy greenies from an what do they generally cost?

Edited by sithspawn

Cost depends on the size of the greenie and the size of the greenie depends on the size og your dog... you can get them from ost pet supply store. I just looked at those little tooth brush things, i have been trying to do harveys teeth but its a little hard with a big toothbrush, want to get one of those slip on ones.

It took a while for harvey to like the greenies, i had to kind of cut the top a little bit then he started to chew it...

alright cool, thanks for that tip.

Those toothbrushes were only like $5 down at city farmers so i thought "why not?" Now im just looking for a doggie toothepaste that works good/smells good. I think i might ask the vet about that one though.

I just use a tooth brush with water (he is still getting use to it) so haven't invested in any sort of doggy tooth paste... It was really a case of i had a spare tooth brush plus a bit of boredom so i started brushing his teeth just for the hell of it.. sad really LOL!

I recently went to the (human!) dentist and there's this new (human) product made from milk protein (casein) that they paint on your teeth, leave for 4 mins then rise - it stops 99% of sensitive tooth (exposed dentin) pain, and is said to help resist decay/gingevitis.

My teeth felt great afterwards - I wonder if the vet has anything like this for dogs/cats?

Our cat had her teeth cleaned recently and is now on a 'teeth diet' with great results Puppy is going fine with meaty bones every day - lovely pearly whites!

Edited by mirajam

I use Cinnamon and Tea Tree toothpaste for dogs. It's a natural product for cleaning your pet’s teeth and gums to keep their mouth fresh and healthy. Contains tea tree oil and blended with cinnamon spice. It's usually about $16 for 100g and lasts a long time because you only need a small amount. It's made by Aristopet and is part of the St. Francis Aromatherapy range.

Beware Greenies!!!

If your dog has a sensitive stomach or food allergies Greenies can do more harm than good as they are Extreemly high in protein.

I know this from first hand experience. Greenies was suggested by vet as they are "all natural ".

Within 12 hours dog very distressed, gut sounding like a volcano erupting and abdomen very tender. temperature raised.

Beware!!!

I've heard of people using Baking Soda but am not entirely sure if this is wise/safe or not.

I make a paste with a tiny bit of water and have brushed D's teeth in the past - he loves the taste and feel of it. I just use a cheapo airline tooth brush. It is the main ingrediant in most dog toothpastes (and human too)

Just recently bought some dog toothpaste, smells horrible so I'm sure D will love it - when he's tired enough I'll give it a go :(

D of course gets bones, but I'm so anal about my teeth that it has passed over to my pets teeth as well.... :(