Dental Care

sithspawn

Brushing with a toothbrush after food should be enough , no need for paste .

My Dad brushed our dogs teeth , I have continued to do the same, just buy cheap ones and start from puppy stage , my dog is often seen walking around with her toothbrush :(

The cat is a different story , he gets his scaled as he has an odd shaped mouth and his teeth dont align, he never chews anything , just swallows , so much for dry food that helps tartar control :(

This topic puzzles me .. why would dogs need their teeth brushed ? Who would brush them for them in the wild ?

Human tooth decay is due to unnatural / poor diet - either because of "1st world" guzzling or 3rd world malnutrition.

It seems to me to be yet another guilt-trip laid on dog owners by cash greedy manufacturers. Wouldn't the correct diet mean it wasn't necessary ?

Yes .. the main ingredient of human toothpaste is baking-soda. :( Got jazzed up taste-wise into a magical compound called "Toothpaste" .. & now the clever bastards are cashing in on the Back-to-Earth issue with "Contains Baking Soda"

No wonder we're all so confused .....................

:(

This topic puzzles me .. why would dogs need their teeth brushed ? Who would brush them for them in the wild ?

Bilby - this is jsut another one of those medical things. Before proper dental care was developed for humans, a lot more people had gingivitis, plaque build ups, and a whole other lot of dental problems im not sure about. Dogs in teh wild are the same. While bones scrape off plaque build up, other dental diseases can still occur. Introducing brushing for animals just helps to solve a problem that otherwise goes unsolved. THey have the problem in the wild, they have the problem when domesticated. The difference is we can do something about it in domestication. Just like worming/vaccines/other vet care. just because they wouldnt get it in the wild, does that mean we have to shorten our animals lives in domestication as well?

Proper dental care for your pup can add years to their life. THey are susceptible to the same diseases as us. WOuld you be comfortable just using something hard to scrape plaque off your teeth through chewing? I bet your mouth would feel rather disgusting after a few weeks. And your breath probably wouldnt be too great either (no offence!!).

Human tooth decay is due to unnatural / poor diet - either because of "1st world" guzzling or 3rd world malnutrition.

Only too a degree. Eating a completely natural/healthy diet wouldnt eradicate many dental diseases. It would definately help, but you still need to brush to have proper dental hygeine.

My dogs have raw meaty bones several times a week, mainly chicken wings and brisket bones and occasionally big marrow bones for recreation as well as teeth cleaning.The vet always comments on how perfect their teeth are. They have nice breath as well.

Natural has to be the best way to go :( .

They would get their teeth cleaned with FUR,SINEWS,Hooves/BONES,GRASSES,all gleaned with HEAPS of chewing!!

This doesn't happen in the "modern" dog..so they need human help :(

Although our dogs have worn teeth,I have never seen any discolouration/tartar, due to the high percentage of bones(hard & soft) they have to chew to get fed :(

Okay well as stated I feed D raw bones, one everyday, and he developed a little bit of discolouring (I guess it is yellow/brown) along the gum line of his canines (you know the big fang teeth). His 'molars' are perfectly white all over and gum line it's just these two upper fangs. That is why I'm going to start brushing his teeth.... are all the people who feed raw NOT having this problem? :(

guess he can't eat bones properly! :(