Grooming Query

We have recently adopted a dog from the pound who we have told had been "abused" by the previous owner. He is about one year old. although he will let me comb him, he will not let me trim his face with scissors. Does anyone have any ideas? The vet said if he gets really bad he might need a sleeping pill so they can clip him there. He is a Yorkie Terrier. Thanks for your help.

Edited by luvs_mutts

We have recently adopted a dog from the pound who we have told had been "abused" by the previous owner. He is about one year old. although he will let me comb him, he will not let me trim his face with scissors. Does anyone have any ideas? The vet said if he gets really bad he might need a sleeping pill so they can clip him there. He is a Yorkie Terrier. Thanks for your help.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEwiH8CeUE

Worth a try.

Hi.. I wouldn't recommend going near a new dog with scissors! Too risky, especially near eyes/nose. :laugh:

get some clippers, or even a razor comb... take it slow.. start off by brushing face with your hand... then a soft brush... then a comb.. then trimming.. all progressions done as the dog is comfortable with one level.

IF the matting is already bad.. then a professional groomer shoud perhaps start off. It is surprising how many dogs behave when in a groomer's rooms... :shrug:

It is surprising how many dogs behave when in a groomer's rooms...

Completely agree!!

I would try just having him bathed and tidied by a professional. Ask around for a recommendation of someone who truly is a professional not just someone with scissors. Chances are the groomer will whip the little dog in to shape and give you some tips on how to groom and handle him effectively.

If you cannot get this little dog used to being handled putting him in the vets & getting him sedated for grooming is the kindest option.

By all means try a professional groomer if you wish. Just choose one that will let you stay with the dog throughout the process. Ignore the reason No your dog will kick up if you are around.

This dog is going to kick up with anyone with its past history & he may be whipped into shape & behaving in a way that may not be beneficial in the long run. Stay with him or get him sedated.

Good luck with the little man. I hope he settles & has a nice life with you.

I dont agree with letting them stay unless there is a good reason.A good groomer doesnt need the owners hoovering & the dog reacting to there body lagnuage.We wouldnt let them stay .

Good groomers now how to whip them into shape with kindness & often way easier than sedating & causing the dog to panic as it has no control over its body.

Scissoring is very easy when you now how to handle a dog & work at the same time & a novice who,s unsure about hanlding skills & scissoring can create fear that doesnt need to be there

Yorkies can be fiesty little monsters to groom & this is with very out going ones.They are little wrigglers & generally try there hardest to not be groomed but with the right groomer who is able to work with the dog they are easy to work with once they feel the confidence in the groomer .

A good groomer as Clyde said will also give you tips on how to work towards the future with your grooming needs & how to handle your little one.Dogs often take on a whole new persona around good professionals due to the respect of those grooming them.

No disrespect Settlvr, I am pleased that you are so kind & talented enough to handle every dog that kicks up & gets hysterical but having worked in several places in this industry I know & you will know too that there are many groomers that are very confident & send dogs out looking wonderful that use methods of discipline that would not be popular with many people.

All dogs do not instantly obey & allow the groomer to do whatever they want to them. A confident person who is used to handling has more chance of success but its not guaranteed.

I have no problem whatsoever if anyone wanted to stay with their dog that I was grooming. I just tell them to sit a little way off & watch if I consider they are distracting the dog. However each to their own way I just gave what I considered my best advice having some experience. It would be great if all groomers were perfect but it is variable, as in many things.

If you cannot get this little dog used to being handled putting him in the vets & getting him sedated for grooming is the kindest option.

By all means try a professional groomer if you wish. Just choose one that will let you stay with the dog throughout the process. Ignore the reason No your dog will kick up if you are around.

I beg to differ.

Dogs do muck up with owners present or at least are more concerned about what their owner is doing which can be distracting. It's safer for all concerned for the owner not to be there.

99% of the time what the owner deems difficult to groom is simply a dog who hasn't be taught what to do while being groomed. People often believe their dog will be too hard but they rarely are for an experienced groomer.

This reminds me of one client who begged to stay and she stood behind me for over two hours cootchy cooing at her Poodles first ever clip/groom :thumbsup: She was so lovely I didn't have the heart to tell her to get stuffed, although she does now drop the dog off and leave :thumbsup: