Pet Insurance Australia - Anyone Have It?

Hi all,

I've recently been researching pet insurance for my little boy and I've stumbled across Pet Insurance Australia. Their plans look pretty good - $27.55 to be covered 100% up to $15k on both accidental and injury.

I haven't heard much about this company before so I'm just wondering if any of you have had first hand experience? The other company I was thinking of going with is Pet Plan but there's a requirement of annual shots which I am a little against.

Thanks!

I looked at PetPlan, and noticed that after the age of 10 (7 in some breeds), or after the dog has been insured for 3 years, the owner has to pay 35% of the vet bill as well as the excess. Seems a bit odd to me.

ETA: just had a look at PIA and the $27.55 rate means you pay an excess of $250.00 per condition, so it isn't 100% cover.

Also had a look at Medibank Private - you get a 10% discount if you're a member (worthless due to price) and you can't get accident & illness cover with $100 excess, only $200 or $500.

Has anyone looked at/got anything to say about Petcover?

Edited by greytdog

I'm with RSPCA Insurance I pay $70 per month for 2 dogs. I haven't had to use it yet thank goodness. It apparently works out that they pay 80% of the bill while we pay the remaiining 20%.

Haven't heard of that one although sounds great 100% up to $15,000.

Wish I had seen that one

I'm with RSPCA Insurance I pay $70 per month for 2 dogs. I haven't had to use it yet thank goodness. It apparently works out that they pay 80% of the bill while we pay the remaiining 20%.

Haven't heard of that one although sounds great 100% up to $15,000.

Wish I had seen that one

Don't get too excited :rolleyes:

You have to pay an excess with PetPlan - $100 I think.

I weighed up the pros and cons of what sorts of things I visit my vet for - there have been hotspots, ear infections, grass seeds, etc in the past. All those quick visits would not have been covered by PetPlan because the cost of the visit and medication would only have come to $100 odd.

With RSPCA insurance, I don't think twice about taking the dogs to the vet - they just go no matter what the issue is because I always get back 80% of whatever the bill is - be it $50 or $5000. :banghead:

I would hate to be in a position with PetPlan where I had to decide if I had $100 spare to take the dog or cat to the vet :laugh:

I would hate to be in a position with PetPlan where I had to decide if I had $100 spare to take the dog or cat to the vet :laugh:

Surely you could come up with 100 bucks??? :rolleyes:

The ASPCA one sounds really good though. :banghead: Do they have exclusions on which breeds can be insured?

edited by Tobias who is having a bad spelling day :wink:

Edited by Tobias

Surely you could come up with 100 bucks??? :rolleyes:

Yes I could, but what I was saying was I would hate to be in a position where I couldn't find $100. How many posts have we seen on this forum about dog owners who have to wait to payday before they can take their dog to the vet? And then there would be plenty who simply wouldn't want to admit it.

I am thankful I never have to worry about that because of the pet insurance I have.

I would hate to be in a position with PetPlan where I had to decide if I had $100 spare to take the dog or cat to the vet :swear:

.... sounds really good though. :banghead: Do they have exclusions on which breeds can be insured?

No, they don't have breed exclusions as far as I'm aware.

:rofl:

A friend of mine has all her dogs bar one insured with Petplan. One dog alone has racked up $8000 in vet bills for this year alone. I was going to insure my male dog, but he's in the "select" breed group which did have a cut off age of 8, but now it's 5. So i missed out.

I would hate to be in a position with PetPlan where I had to decide if I had $100 spare to take the dog or cat to the vet :rolleyes:

Surely you could come up with 100 bucks??? :banghead:

Yes I could, but what I was saying was I would hate to be in a position where I couldn't find $100. How many posts have we seen on this forum about dog owners who have to wait to payday before they can take their dog to the vet? And then there would be plenty who simply wouldn't want to admit it.

I am thankful I never have to worry about that because of the pet insurance I have.

Ahh yea good point. :laugh:

Edited by Tobias

Even on a Pension I can find $100 if my furkids need Vet treatment( most people will always have a friend etc who would loan them the money if they didn't have it there and then ) as I would eat 2min noodles to ensure they got the best of Vet treatment they need

The RSPCA won't get my business. PetPlan seems popular. I know some people don't like to have a credit card but they come in handy for unexpected vet trips. I had to put Sophie's crutiate ligament operation on my credit card :laugh: . I should have had insurance :rofl: .

Tiggy , enquire with Petplan .The ACL would be a pre-existing condition so they would not cover that but you would be covered for all other things.

Tiggy, you MAY find they will not cover you for anything like this on either leg now. Something about bilateral blah blah blah!!!

Check it out very carefully.

Get it! do not pass go! do not collect 200 dollars :laugh: :laugh:

I WISH I had done it when I stared a similar topic a few weeks ago. Then I would have been $4000 Richer :)

3084332292_ff69ac140e.jpg

Ruger 10 days after Pancarpal Arthrodesis surgery and a freakin big hole in my wallet.