Pet Insurence

Missymoo

I saw the other thread and didnt want to hijack it, but after my still ongoing bill from the vet I will be looking into insurence now!!

I was reading a few brochures in the clinic and was getting thouroughly confused??

Who has what and what do they like and dislike and how much per month are you paying for it?

Hi mssymoo ,I have my dogs insured with G>I>O but also have to have house & contents with them ,premion not sure, as i pay it all together,covers u for up to $500.00 per dog ,but not pr existing conditions & only accidents & ops ect ,not whelping expences or the like ,but it sure is peace of mind for a small fee.

You have t pay first $100 excess.

Check the fine print carefully. You may find that preventable disease, ie diseases you can vaccinate for, are not covered, even if the dogs is vaccinated.

Pet insurance is not worth it in my experience. Too many exclusions and excesses.

I have PetPlan as well, I pay 98.00 a month for the 2 dogs and 1 kitty. Floyd is on the Premium Plan being a BBD so his is 40 of the 98 a month we pay. Floyd is covered for up to $18,000.00 a year and the excess is $100.00. Like InspectorRex said they have to be notifyed of pre-existing conditions. Because Floyd had Cainine Cough when he was 14 weeks I am excluded from making a clam for it for 12-months. I chose PP because they do not exclude breeds like BBDs where most do. They have been pretty good; payed for Floyd's trip to the vet when he had his rash so no prob so far. :banghead:

Edited by Tobias

I have PetPlan, I think it seems pretty reasonable. I think I paid around $400, for the year and have $14000 worth of cover. I am about to put in my first claim for surgery costing around $1500, I am so glad I took out the policy!

The pro for pet insurance is usually some protection against the economic effects of nasty, expensive events, like car accidents, injuries, bloat, etc. But as others point out, you have to read the fine print. Some things won't be covered.

As a breeder, the con is that it doesn't cover most of the things that come into my vet bill. Health testing, prog testing, AI, Ceasars, speys, neuters, vaccinations. Also, unless your pet is less healthy than the average, health insurance will cost you more than it saves you . . . it has to . . . if it didn't the companies involved would loose money.

I don't know about Oz, but when I lived in the USA, the thing that pissed me off about insurance is that it started out cheap, when I had only routine vet bills for things it didn't cover, and got expensive when the dog got to be eight or nine and started having problems with arthritis, etc.

I always keep a good financial buffer in the form of ability to redraw on my house loan. I'm reasonably good at keeping my pets healthy and out of trouble. Unless your animals are catastrophe prone, this is substantially cheaper, in the long term, than paying insurance.

I don't know about Oz, but when I lived in the USA, the thing that pissed me off about insurance is that it started out cheap, when I had only routine vet bills for things it didn't cover, and got expensive when the dog got to be eight or nine and started having problems with arthritis, etc.

Ahhh yes Health Insurance for 4 or 2 legged animels in the US is crap! Unfortunatly for the 2 legged ones it is a must have, the other option is been put on the street because you have no insurance. :laugh: When I moved here I was oww so happy when I was told Oz has a public system.

Snr - what type of dogs do you have? Mine are Border Terriers so just medium sized I guess they'd be classified as...they have messed me a round a little getting the initial plan sorted out (eg listing them as Border Collies rather than Border Terriers - putting me on the wrong plan) but since then they've been fine and pay quickly.

I have PETSECURE and pay about $40.00/month. 80% back on accident and illness but not on pre existing conditions.

$50.00 excess for the first claim on a new condition.

I wouldn't be with out mine :(

Edited by CavsRcute

Hi mssymoo ,I have my dogs insured with G>I>O but also have to have house & contents with them ,premion not sure, as i pay it all together,covers u for up to $500.00 per dog ,but not pr existing conditions & only accidents & ops ect ,not whelping expences or the like ,but it sure is peace of mind for a small fee.

You have t pay first $100 excess.

What did this cost Cockerlover, as I also have insurance with AMP/GIO Insurance