Belly Button Hernia

G3mma&Ash

Hi guys im new :(

i was just wondering if anyone had an experience with a belly button hernia?

My 13 weeks old eniglish staff has one and the vet said it will be removed/fixed when he gets fixed next month!

Im just a bit unsure on what its caused from and what they will do to fix it?

Any input or answers would be much appreciated!

I jus want to make sure everything is done right for my little boy!

TIA

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Umbilical hernias are due to a tiny break in the muscle wall where the umbilical cord was - often the break is so small you cannot see it. Usually a little fat escapes through the hole, and lodges under the skin, causing the "bulge" in the skin which you can see, which is the hernia. The only time they are a aproblem is if a piece of intestine is caught in the tear, but that is extremely rare.

Best practice is to repair them, so they don't get any bigger. Most vets will do this when the dog is desexed, and they usually don't charge any extra, or maybe $20 - $30 more than they would for the desexing operation.

Hernias are due to different causes - mother may have picked the pup up by the cord after whelping and shook him a bit, causing the tear, it could have happened after birth, or there may have been a small weakness there when he was being formed prior to birth

No big deal.

Thanks Jed!

The vet wasnt to informative about it really and just said it will be fixed.

Iv been looking on the internet about it but it has just brought up things about hernias in people so no real help to me!

It dosn't cause him any troubles so im no to worried i jus wasnt sure how it was caused or what they did to fix it!

:(

My pleasure.

When the vet desexes him, he will put a couple of stitches in the muscle to pull it together, ditto in the skin. Some hernias do resolve themselves in time, and are called "delayed closures" but your vet has seen the dog, and will know what best to do. :(

Not a biggie

Thanks Jed!

The vet wasnt to informative about it really and just said it will be fixed.

Iv been looking on the internet about it but it has just brought up things about hernias in people so no real help to me!

It dosn't cause him any troubles so im no to worried i jus wasnt sure how it was caused or what they did to fix it!

:(

To add to what Jed states.

Hernias are caused because of nature.

There is a natural hole in the abdominal wall to allow the blood vessels to go in to the pup from the placenta.

Same as human babies. When the cord is cut the blood vessels shrivel up and the hole closes.

Sometimes the hole is bigger than is needed and hence the fat protudes into the space. :)

Hi

My pup had one and my vet charged 100 - 150 (I cant remember exactly) to get it fixed. Although I was unhappy about the cost, I got it done as they said that many bad things could happen and if it did burst or get larger it could cost thousands to fix. I got it done, and it looks great and doesnt seem to worry him.

The did it when he was desexed and charged the extra. I'm not sure why it was so much more - but I just accepted it. They did do a good job because I haven't had any more problems with it.

Hope all goes well for you

since it is already a hole and pups would be severely stretching the abdominal muscles I would say yes. The biggest risk with hernias is if they tear and a piece of intestine pokes through and becomes twisted or squeezed it can cause severe pain and a much bigger operation.

I would get it fixed, the younger the better, I hate the way they look too *ick*

For the life of me I cannot understand why any vet should charge $100 or more just to fix a small hernia when desexing a puppy, they already have out the kit, sutures and the patient is already prepaired and it takes no longer than a few minutes, charges should be $20 or $30 at the most.

Many vets even say to leave them alone if it's only small.

Yes I am a vet nurse, I know how long it takes.

Would there be any issues with the dog having pups if they have a hernia, just curious as my 7 month old Min Pin has one.

One of my bitches has a small one and after 2 litters, it has cause no problem. My vets advised that it would be fine to leave and not cause a problem, they were right!! :thumbsup:

Would there be any issues with the dog having pups if they have a hernia, just curious as my 7 month old Min Pin has one.

One of my bitches has a small one and after 2 litters, it has cause no problem. My vets advised that it would be fine to leave and not cause a problem, they were right!! :laugh:

thanks, thats good to hear, will get the vet to look at it before i breed her

Hi

My pup had one and my vet charged 100 - 150 (I cant remember exactly) to get it fixed. Although I was unhappy about the cost, I got it done as they said that many bad things could happen and if it did burst or get larger it could cost thousands to fix. I got it done, and it looks great and doesnt seem to worry him.

The did it when he was desexed and charged the extra. I'm not sure why it was so much more - but I just accepted it. They did do a good job because I haven't had any more problems with it.

Hope all goes well for you

Cause the vet needed a new BMW? Cost is far too high. The majority of vets charge an extra $20 - $30, and some don't charge anything extra. It's a very small operation. I'd be unhappy too.

There are many sizes of umbilical hernias and you cannot compare the price of each one without know how big they were to start with!

We charge between $30-$150 for repair depending on the size and time taken to repair.

Some are life threatening and some can be left.

As far as breeding a bitch/dog with a hernia. They are highly heritable, therefore the likelyhood of pups having hernias will be greater if bred from bitches and dogs with one.

There are many sizes of umbilical hernias and you cannot compare the price of each one without know how big they were to start with!

We charge between $30-$150 for repair depending on the size and time taken to repair.

Some are life threatening and some can be left.

As far as breeding a bitch/dog with a hernia. They are highly heritable, therefore the likelyhood of pups having hernias will be greater if bred from bitches and dogs with one.

Read my post.

To add to what Jed states.

Hernias are caused because of nature.

There is a natural hole in the abdominal wall to allow the blood vessels to go in to the pup from the placenta.

Same as human babies. When the cord is cut the blood vessels shrivel up and the hole closes.

Sometimes the hole is bigger than is needed and hence the fat protudes into the space.