Heartworm Injection

Diana

I have for the last two years used teh heartworm injection on my dogs and they seem OK on it.

It has at times worried me how it can affect the dogs long term etc. and wonder if anyone here has some experience good and bad about it. At this stage have not seen anything negative more than the cost of injection!

This is a cross post from Breeders Forum as it was suggested I go here because it might be more appropriate. :love:

Edited by Diana

My vet actively talks people OUT of the injection. He has seen far to many severe reactions and even death after giving the injection.

Sheridan - it is Invermectim (sp?) based, therefore a lot of collies are allergic to it. And because it is a 12 month dose, any side effects will also last for 12 months, or be exaggerated. This is the main reason I would never, ever give it to any dog - if they have a reaction, you have 12 months until it is out of their system. There is no 'antidote' for it.

I'd highly suggest doing some searching about the injection - a lot of what is reported is not pretty. It's been classified as so dangerous due to side effects etc that it is banned from sale in the US. No idea why they still allow it here in Australia.

Hi

I used it once on my Dachshund but never again as he had an allergic reaction to it. He was extremely restless and could not sleep at all that night, constantly scratching in his blankets and pacing around the house. Next day he had settled down but was totally exausted.

Petra and Felix

My vet also insisted on not using it but he never mentioned any of the side effects. He just said it's not cost effective to use in a big dog and is more suited for smaller dogs and people that can't keep up with the daily or monthly tablets like some elderly etc.

Proheart 6 was removed from the market overseas due to so many adverse reactions including deaths! Proheart 6 is a 6 monthly injection..........Here is Australia we have the same product as this banned one, only it is 3 times the dose!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: and administered annually..........

Proheart 6 has been reintroduced a couple of months ago overseas.........They have changed NOTHING in the product, but what they have changed is that every person who uses the product must sign a document saying they understand the risks......again :thumbsup:

Australians are not reporting the adverse reactions, as often the reaction isnt for some months afterwards, ie seizures....the Vet also doesnt realise that the injection some 3 months prior is the cause of the seizures & happily keeps injecting the "epileptic" dog each year ...just as an example...

My dogs get the heartworm injection. The first one is blown up the nose then it's injections thereafter. No ill effects on my two.

Why wouldn't you use them on collie breeds, InspectorRex?

I though heartworm was a vacc only??

Canine cough is the only vacc im aware off given up the nose.

We do not recoomend it to our puppy owners & if they chose to use it its against our advice.

Good vets will give the pros/cons & the risks but most dont because its a good money earner & the prices they charge are plain ridiculous .

It may be convient but i wouldnt waste that much money when there are safer options & cheaper options.Isnt that hard to give a monthly/daily pill unless you have a health issue that makes it a problem.

We have vets here charging betwenn $120- #170 ,i say come in sucker

Collies and Collie like breeds( Shelties, Aussis Sheps, Beardies, Border Collies, OES and quite a few other breeds) are known to be sensitive to Ivermectin and if they are given any drug containing Mectin family drugs it can be fatal( Revolution, heartgard, proheart and many others)

it is due to a mutant MDR1 gene and the only way you can know for sure if your dog is Sensitive is to have a DNA test done-about $60- and if the dog will either be Affected, Carrier or Clear. If Affected or carrier you do NOT give mectin based drugs and there is a whole heap of other drugs the dog must not be given either.

PM me if you want the lsit- will need your email address

My dogs have it done at the same time they have their annual booster. They have had it done two years in a row now. Daniel just had the heartworm injection on Saturday with his annual Vaccination. My two Afghans had it last year as well and there have been no side effects.

My dogs have it done at the same time they have their annual booster. They have had it done two years in a row now. Daniel just had the heartworm injection on Saturday with his annual Vaccination. My two Afghans had it last year as well and there have been no side effects.

This practice is how most of the problems occured - that is a major shot to the immune system. Is it really worth the risk because there are no side effects YET?

I was always under the belief the manufactuers guide to giving the injection was no on the same day as annula vaccs.That it should be given separately.

It would be interesting to see what is the protocol for this.

Okay found this on there 2008 news release

"ProHeart® 6 is generally well tolerated. Do not use in sick, debilitated or underweight animals, animals with a history of weight loss, or within one month of vaccination. Use with caution in dogs with pre-existing allergic disease. A small percentage of dogs showed mild, transient swelling or itching at the injection site. While rare, allergic, digestive, hematological, or neurological reactions may occur. In addition, death has been reported. ProHeart 6 is available only through a restricted distribution program. Only veterinarians enrolled in this program can receive and administer ProHeart 6. In addition, ProHeart 6 must only be administered to clients whose owners have been advised of the risks of ProHeart 6 and sign an Owner Consent Form.

"Can ProHeart 6 be given with other medicines?

In well-controlled clinical studies, ProHeart 6 was used safely in dogs receiving other veterinary products such as anthelmintics,

antiparasitics, antibiotics, analgesics, steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), anesthetics, and flea control

products. ProHeart 6 should not be given within one month of your dog being vaccinated. Tell your veterinarian about all

medicines you have given your dog in the past, and any medicines that you are planning to use with ProHeart 6.

http://www.proheart6dvm.com/

All the info is on here

Edited by settrlvr

Side Effects

The following are possible side effects, as admitted by Fort Dodge in their letter to verterinarians. The rate of these side effects is quite high compared to other heartworm preventatives on the market, and therefore I fear that people may be sacrificing safety for the sake of convenience.

Here are just a few of the potential side effects:

Swelling and pain at the site of the injection.

Facial swelling

Diahhrea and vomitting

Lethargy and fever

Wobbliness and weakness

Rash

Shortness of breath

Erythema multiforme (bodywide disease with a characteristic rash involving the skin and mucous membranes)

Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (destruction of red blood cells)

Seizures and other neurological events

Death

From website

I have been going to the same Vet for twenty years now. I am confident that if there were any serious side effects I would have been made aware of it at the start.

They are very well known and respected in the field and have clients coming from all over Adelaide.

I certainly trust their opinion.

I was made aware that the heartworm injection is more expensive than your monthly prohart or heartgard chewables.

I decided that I would try the yearly injection as it made much more sense to have it done on a yearly basis.