Another Lense Topic!

tlc

Hi Guys, I have a question for all you pros out there, I have been reading with avid enthusiasm all the threads about lenses and I am not really up with the lense speak so to speak :love: I have the D80 which come with a kit lense of 18 - 135. Mostly I shoot close ups (of dogs of course) and I was wanting to get another lense. I think it was Ashanali that recommended the 50mm 1.4 so I rang our local photoshop to day to see what they had in store and how much well what a shock dont know how they stay in business, the man I spoke to was very short must have been busy and couldnt be bothered to take the time out to tell me what I needed to know I asked him about a 50 mm lense and told him I do mostly animal portraits and he said the lense im using is fine and I shouldnt need a f stop higher than 3.5 as my 18 - 135 highest is 3.5 and I said to him isnt the 5o mm 1.4 and isnt there a 1.8 and he just said no you dont need that what your using is fine and down the track you might like to purchase a 300mm so you will have more zoom, and with that I got off the phone. So heres my question now that I am very confused. If I do get a 50mm lense what benefit is it going to be over the one I have now? Will I have more depth of field?? Can I do with a 50 mm what I am already doing with the lense I already have? Please help me understnd I know I probly sound like a total dumb bunny!! any advice greatly appreciated.

Ps Ive looked on ebay and some of the 50 mm 1.8 lenses are only about $180 the 50 mm 1.4 are around the $400 mark sounds to cheap but they say they are new, is there any draw back to buying lenses off ebay I want keen but I know a few of you guys have. Have you ever had any trouble with ebay lenses??

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant help you much here as I too am only learning. I think the 50mm 1.4 and 1.8 that Ashanali was talking about are the Canon lenses which wont fit on your Nikon. Nikon might make a similar one but the reason lots of Canon people like the 1.8 is that it is very cheap for a sharp lens, it's often referred to as the 'nifty fifty' I dont know if Nikon have one like that.

The other thing I would say it to try out your lens as others have told me to do. Oh and post some pics!! Successes and failures! I do. :love:

Hi Guys, I have a question for all you pros out there, I have been reading with avid enthusiasm all the threads about lenses and I am not really up with the lense speak so to speak :love: I have the D80 which come with a kit lense of 18 - 135. Mostly I shoot close ups (of dogs of course) and I was wanting to get another lense. I think it was Ashanali that recommended the 50mm 1.4 so I rang our local photoshop to day to see what they had in store and how much well what a shock dont know how they stay in business, the man I spoke to was very short must have been busy and couldnt be bothered to take the time out to tell me what I needed to know I asked him about a 50 mm lense and told him I do mostly animal portraits and he said the lense im using is fine and I shouldnt need a f stop higher than 3.5 as my 18 - 135 highest is 3.5 and I said to him isnt the 5o mm 1.4 and isnt there a 1.8 and he just said no you dont need that what your using is fine and down the track you might like to purchase a 300mm so you will have more zoom, and with that I got off the phone. So heres my question now that I am very confused. If I do get a 50mm lense what benefit is it going to be over the one I have now? Will I have more depth of field?? Can I do with a 50 mm what I am already doing with the lense I already have? Please help me understnd I know I probly sound like a total dumb bunny!! any advice greatly appreciated.

Ps Ive looked on ebay and some of the 50 mm 1.8 lenses are only about $180 the 50 mm 1.4 are around the $400 mark sounds to cheap but they say they are new, is there any draw back to buying lenses off ebay I want keen but I know a few of you guys have. Have you ever had any trouble with ebay lenses??

Firstly it is a real shame the guy didnt help you out more that really annoys me when people do that :mad . Now unfortunately i am a canon gal so cant really give you any good advice re Nikon len's i am sure Vickie can give some tips there i know she bought herself a decent portrait lens of ebay (i think) and it serves her vey well and gives some lovely shots.

The other thing is go here : http://www.dpreview.com you can find out about most things with regards to cameras and lens's, if you go into where it says len's then just find the lens you want and click on it, it will give you a full review, pros and cons etc. I tend to use this site for when i am about to buy anything new lens or camera plus i do alot of googling to see xxx vs xxxx etc. Googling is also a good way to see shots taken by a certain lens, i think in flickr you can also nominate photos that have been taken with a camera and or lens.

Now ebay i havnt bought anything expensive like lens's or cameras on there which doesnt mean i woudnt but definitely search and make sure they are not either grey market and or OS altho i have know people to buy from the US with no issues.

some online stores i use (and i bought my camera body through one of these) are

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au

https://www.camerasdirect.com.au

the first one i deal with the most and have found their turn around time brilliant and they are very well priced.

I guess i havnt really helped much but at least given you some areas to go and have a look

I bought my 50mm 1.8 from Ebay for $100. I love it! It is by far my favourite lense.

I will take the same pic today with my 3 lenses & put them up so you can see the differences.

I have an 18-70, 70-300 & 50mm. I use them all for different things.

Thanks Guys, I have used dpreview heaps just for sussing out the difference between cameras and I have looked at the lenses there but am having trouble understanding what the difference will be if I do get a 50 mm lense, as in what the benifits will be if any, thats what I was hoping the guy int he shop would have told me but he was too busy!! I think I have read and read about so much stuff and even in the D80 book that I bought it wasnt much help when it came to lenses, thats why here is great cause I can understand most of the stuff posted here, I will post some pics soon as well, Im having a bit of trouble with over exposure atm not sure what Im doing wrong so Im trying a few different settings as I go, at this rate Ill havem y camera really worn out :love:

Vickie I cant wait to see the pics it will give me a good idea of how each lense makes the shot look different.

edited to add Vickie your signiture is totally awsome!!

Edited by tlc

The fifty Nikon 1.8 (prime lens) gives you great light to play with. Its good indoors, its good outside, etc. the 1.4 is just the newer faster version and I wouldnt think totally necessary for portraits but im certainly no expert. I've seen some of Vickie's which are awesome. I have a 50mm for work, I used it for this one, but it was on the D3

2994794334_5119b26724.jpg

The fifty Nikon 1.8 (prime lens) gives you great light to play with. Its good indoors, its good outside, etc. the 1.4 is just the newer faster version and I wouldnt think totally necessary for portraits but im certainly no expert. I've seen some of Vickie's which are awesome. I have a 50mm for work, I used it for this one, but it was on the D3

2994794334_5119b26724.jpg

Wow Thats a great photo, Im thinking if I do get one I will get the 1.8 probly not a lot of difference only that I think the 1.4 was just released this month and on ebay it is about $300 more. I really just want something that I can have a much around with and not have to spend to much money. After xmas I will be saving for a D300 or 700 havent decided which yet and probly by the time I get enough saved there will be another new model out!! I am loving the D80 though and getting a lot better photos now that I know how to apply the manual settings. And you guys on here have taught me so much and just being able to understand the lingo is great. You said you had a 50 mm for work do you take photos for a living, That is my all time greatest dream to be able to make a living out of photography well may be not a living (hubby can do that... :laugh: ) but just to make enough so I dont have to actually go to my other job (bunnings) I think it will be a long way down the track but hey you have to start somewhere!! Thanks again for posting the pic for me to see.

I bought my 50mm 1.8 from Ebay for $100. I love it! It is by far my favourite lense.

I will take the same pic today with my 3 lenses & put them up so you can see the differences.

Ooooh that will be good to see the different lenses at work

*waits patiently*

Ooooh that will be good to see the different lenses at work

*waits patiently*

Me too. :laugh: What do you think of that 70-300 Vickie?

I like the 70-300 for action...but I would love a faster lense. Right now I can go much bigger than F8 & would love to be shooting at F4 or 5.

Here is a quick lense test. I put it on aperture priority & just swapped lenses. All are at F9, except the bottom right which is at F4.

3093787079_4a44e64d3d.jpg

I will leave it to someone more knowledgeable to explain why they look different

ETA...not really a true comparison, I just realised that I spot metered them all except the top left which is matrix...so I really should redo that one...but couldn't be bothered :laugh:

Edited by Vickie

have to say i prefer the 17-55 the colouring is a little better altho a tad dark around the eyes (nothing that a little contrasting wouldnt fix) the last f4 looks a bit soft focus to me, giving it a softer appeal, in contrast to the distinct lines etc in the ?flooring that your BC is laying on, i dont mind that.

but agree the 70-300 are much better for action.

She says this scanning the market for the 70-200 f2.8 USM (maybe IS) L lens :laugh:

:) Oh I cant see the pics, I ve just got home from work and came strait to the pc to check out replys to this thread and was so excited to see that Vickie had posted then no pic show up????? WHats going on... :thumbsup: it just says the photo is unavailable!!

:) Oh I cant see the pics, I ve just got home from work and came strait to the pc to check out replys to this thread and was so excited to see that Vickie had posted then no pic show up????? WHats going on... :thumbsup: it just says the photo is unavailable!!

how weird i can see it :thumbsup:

how weird i can see it :(

Oh No fair I wanna see Vickies pictures! :thumbsup::rofl: