Toileting On The Concrete

shazza

We have had our puppy for two weeks now and are going reasonably well with the toilet training. Not many accidents inside (only when locked in the crate).

He is taken outside very regularly to do 'wee wee's'.

Sometimes it takes about half an hour before he produces and we always praise him.

However he seems to want to do it on the concrete paths whenever he can.

If we catch him on the concrete we tell him "no" and move him onto the grass. But I can guarantee that if I come inside for a quick minute to grab something that when I go back outside he has left a puddle on the concrete right outside the back door.

I have scrubbed it all down with bleach and then rinsed it with water and vinegar as suggested on some websites, but it has not deterred him.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about stopping this problem? :rofl:

Hi Shazza,

Mybe pup is doing this as he is used to concrete as this is what he used to pee on before you got him? Not peeing on grass would be great (no dead patches on lawn) but if its outside the back door thats a problem.

Eveytime he tries to wee there take him onto the grass on lead and praise after like he just urinated liquid gold, I guess you could put something on the concrete to try and deter him going there like a physical object rather than a chemical..

Not sure what else to suggest, but maybe he is not used to grass and thats why hes not peeing there... get him familiar as you can on the grass so he feels more comfortable there? good luck!

If you can at all restrict him to the grass when its time for wees, he will get used to it eventually. Even if it means you take treats with you for a while to encourage him to wee on the grass-would help if you were near where you wanted him to go :thumbsup:

We didn't have that problem ourselves.. Halle was fine weeing in grass-in fact she only ever toilets in the same spot. She has only in the last 3-4 months started to wee when we're at the park leash free area! Before that, she'd hold it then RUN to the backyard when we got home !

Put the puppy on lead before you take him outside. Then carry him out to the grass area and put him down.

Then just follow him around on the grass only. If he attemps to make his way on to the concrete, guide him with the lead so that he stays on the grass. Do not give him the opportunity to toilet on the concrete.

Praise verbally, or even treat with food, when you get the result you want.

Julie

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problem shazza. Bailey will wee & poo on the lawn when we are outside with her but if we are not there she wees at the back door (concrete) and poo's on the grass 1/2 the time and the pavers 1/2 the time!

She is only 11 weeks so we are just cleaning up (vinegar, hot water etc), taking her to the grass and praising her when she gets it right.

At the breeders there was a big concrete area where they all did their wees & poos which is why I think she does it.

It was suggested to us to put a bottle or jar with holes (I used empty vitamin jars) punched in the top and some Citronella oil in it, in the area where you don't want them to whizz

It did help for us somewhat but I think we let it go on too long before trying to fix the problem

Also I forgot to say, the concrete area where she wees is right next to her food & water bowls. One would think she would not want to toilet near them!

I also notice she has a big drink then moves a step or two and does a wee so maybe i should move her bowls to near the grass so she is near grass after a big drink or feed. What do you think?

If you want to get to the bottom of it, you might want to speak to the breeder. My guess is that the pups were on concrete most, if not all, of the time from five to eight weeks, and learned that concrete is where you do your business.

Keeping the pup on the surface you intend as a toiled when the pup is ready to do its business -- and lots of praise when it pees on target -- should work, but may take some time. I have an older girl who insists on doing poohs in the road and in the middle of whatever path we walk on. It never bothered me, cause it's easy to pick up, but is a reminder that they can fixate on a toilet target when they are pups. If you don't like that target, you'll have to train on something else. Positive training is much preferred with the young 'uns.

It was suggested to us to put a bottle or jar with holes (I used empty vitamin jars) punched in the top and some Citronella oil in it, in the area where you don't want them to whizz

It did help for us somewhat but I think we let it go on too long before trying to fix the problem

ah, thank you.

Will try as having same problem with our rescue as she has been in kennels and a flat. If its dark or cold or raining in particular, she goes on back door step.

:laugh:

Hi Shazza,

Maybe it's a weimy thing? Since we moved to our new house Louie seems to like to do his business on the concrete too!

No real thoughts just an observation... let me know if you figure out something that works!

I am happy to report that for the last two days & night my puppy has not done a wee on the concrete at the back door :thumbsup: . I cleaned with vinegar & hot water every morning if there was wee there and I sprinkled some treats on the concrete so she knew it was a feeding area not a toilet. I also moved her food & water bowl down the stairs onto the pavers about 1m from the grass.

Fingers crossed it keeps working