Hard Lump Beside Desexing Wound

snr

Hi My female Lab was desexed on Friday.

She has been fine since. I have been trying my best to keep her and her Brother from Playing too rough.

I have just noticed a Hard Lump On one side of her Desexing Wound.

The lump is about the same length as the wound itself.

The other side is fine normal and soft to touch.

Has anyone had experience with this happening to their Recently desexed Females?

I Don't Know whether or not to go to the after hours Vet. Or just wait til the morning and ring my Vet.

2 of her stitches have loosened but not opened. I have been bathing it with warm water and applying a antiseptic (sp?) spray.

The lump is something that is expected and should go down in a few weeks. If not, you'd have to get the vet to check it. As for the stitches, I would be keeping a very close eye on

them, and if in any doubt, go back to the vet.

I can't answer regarding the lump without seeing it - may or may not be a normal part of her healing process but I would say stop bathing in water. One of the basic instructions you should have been given by your vet is to keep suture line clean and dry. Bathing would not help prevent a problem in this case.

Best suggestion is to contact the treating veterinarian, most will happily do a recheck and let you know if there are any concerns or need for further treatment/antibiotics/etc.

Conflicting advice on the Bathing. The vet Nurse had actually said to me to bath it with warm water and small amount of salt. I will keep an eye on it tonight and ring my Vet first thing in the morning. Thanks

Hi-

I have never heard of bathing a suture line post op ...

Your bitch should ,ideally be BY HERSELF, resting, and NOT jumping or playing with another dog- for at least 5 days, as far as I know :rofl:

Hope all is well, and she doesn't do any permanent damage.

Edited by persephone

could be a reaction to the sutures or she has inflamed the muscular layer by running.

desexing is abdominal surgery she should not be playing for 5 days at least (depending on procedure)

Unless its infected there is no point bathing it. Leave it be, lock her up and see if it settles, if not back to the vet for a check up

My pup got a lump near the suture line after desexing. Vet said it was from being too active and stressed internal stitches and/or reaction to the stitches. AFAIK it's always been a rule to keep sutures dry in both humans and animals so I don't understand the bathing part. My pup did also develop a suture sinus a few weeks after the op, where an internal stitch did not dissolve. That was pretty yuk!

Edited by Jigsaw

I would definitely stop the bathing. If in doubt about that, ring and speak to the vet (not the nurse who suggested it!) The bathing could be why some of the stitches have come loose. Just check the wound to make sure it is not very inflamed or infected.

I have had quite a few bitches desexed and found that the ones that were more active were the ones that got lumps around the wound site. Keep her as quiet as possible, lock her up in a small confined space (a crate if you have one) and I am sure the lump will go down with rest.

If you are still worried give the vet a ring or take her back for the vet to check the wound.

My pug had lumps through her desexing site. The vet told me it's because he uses a larger sized suture material and some dogs react to it.

I agree with the others though, keep her quiet, stop bathing it and call your vet if you are worried.

Stop bathing. I have never been told to do that with the many that I have had desexed. The main instruction was not to get wet. (Wonders what they are teaching vet nurses these days)

As for the lump some will get them some wont. Seeing it has been 5 days since the op, some sutures coming lose should be ok as the wound should have closed up by now.

You will sometimes also see irritation at the actual suture sites. This is due to the body rejecting the sutures and wanting to get rid of them. Don't worry. Once the sutures are removed the irritation resolves itself within a day or so.

I have just noticed a Hard Lump On one side of her Desexing Wound.

The lump is about the same length as the wound itself.

I was told by my vet that there would be a lump after the desexing surgery and not to worry about it. It should go down in about 10 days.

My dog ( not bitch) has a small lump at the incission site as well and I was told it was from the internal stitching ( they sub stitch *think that is the term* ) It just feels like a bit of scar tissue under the skin. It reduced a little over time as well.

Thanks Everyone. I had her at the Vet first thing this morning.

He said that the lump was there due to her Being too active and the internal stitches rubbing up against one and other, causing inflamation. To add she also has an eye infection too now. What a stressful few days I have had. He also gave both of the pups a mild sedative. Oh and he said to bath the wound. I am a little confused as to why There is conflicting advice on this. I am not going to Bath it unless I see it becoming Infected. Thank goodness they only get desexed once. Don't think I could handle it again.