50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

Hello all :laugh:

Quick question; I've had my DSLR since Oct '10 and have just been using the two lenses that it came with (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III). Now I'm starting to look into buying a new lens. Seems there's lots of 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 lovers around, and was wondering who/what you'd recommend it for... :confused: I'm quite new to the photography world bear with me :laugh: What price range should I expect and where's the best place to buy?

All the photos in this thread were taken with a 50mm. so that gives you an idea of what it can do. It's different to your other 2 lenses, they are zoom but the 50 is not. You cant zoom anything, if you want to get closer to something you physically move closer, you zoom with your feet so they say.

The reason we all love it is it's a very sharp lens and is good in low light because you can open the aperture up, that's the number 1.8 or 1.4 we mention.

The price varies alot depending on whether you buy online or in a shop. I bought my 50 1.4 from a shop over 2 years ago and it was nearly $600 then. If I'd bought it online I would have got it alot cheaper but I did have trouble with mine and it had to be repaired, which was eventually done free of charge even though the warranty had just expired, I'm not sure how well that would have been dealt with if I'd had to deal with the online guarantee, and the 1.4 is known for the problem I had, auto focus failure. In fact a few DOLers have had the same problem with theirs.

The 1.8 is alot cheaper so if something went wrong it's not such a drain on your wallet should you have to chuck it, although I dont think it's known for the auto focus failure of its more expensive brother.

Right now it's only $87 from DWI an online seller but you've still got postage on top and they charge a bit for that. It might be worthwhile comparing the diff between them and a retail shop.

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...sp?idProduct=63 I think the 1.8 would be a good start for you. It's a much loved little lens often affectionately referred to as the "nifty fifty"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great pics LL!! LOVE that newborn shot bellatrix.. gorgeous..

Here's a few of my recents.. sorry also overload!

am heading off to the states next week and hoping to come back with another lens, just haven't decided what yet!!!

IMG_3398.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3399.jpg

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3598-2.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

I dont know about Nikon but the Canon 50 1.4 is known to have auto focus problems. I didn't know this when I bought mine, it was only after I had trouble I looked into it and found it's a fairly common problem, although Canon deny that. I think both Shell and Terra might have had the same problem as well.

Since I've had mine back it's been fine, I hope I dont tempt fate by mentioning this cause if it fails again now it's not covered by warranty. If it was to fail again I would look at getting another brand to replace it.

Edited by Kirislin

:eek: I've just noticed your siggy!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::o ;) :( :rolleyes: ;) ;) :love::rock:

I noticed this morning as well :D :o So went stalking to find out more :laugh::laugh: He is just the cutest little thing!!! And can't wait to see more gorgeous photos of him when he comes home!!!!!!!!!

ETA: is the other person in Bris as well :):eek: :D :D :D I'm sooo having puppy cuddles!!!

Edited by LuvLottie

Yeah, the other person is in Bris too and it's also a squishy faced puppy :o

Sorry, this is soooo OT ;)

YAYAYAYAY and AWWWWWWWWW (i'm soooooooo jealous right now!!). :):o :rolleyes: At least we'll all get to see lots of photos of them :D :(:eek:

Hey Kirislin, is the focus problem a Canon thing? Or across Canon and Nikon?

i don't remember reading that the nikon had that problem when i went through some reviews prior to getting my 50 1.4 but i did get mine significantly cheaper than what it retails here for, it wasn't much dearer than the 1.8 here.

hahha yay huga cute baby!!

I just got a 50mm so will entre this thread shortly... unfortunatly allthe pics i have so far are of client dogs so need permission to post on here but once i have it i shall cause i need help lol I tried using it a few different ways... aperature priority setting most of the time and opened it all the way up to try to get a blurry backdrop and on some it worked but man it made it hard to get the face nice an clear on the greyhound and the irish wolfy!! even the border i was struggling... very clear noses bahahah

Hello all :laugh:

Quick question; I've had my DSLR since Oct '10 and have just been using the two lenses that it came with (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II & EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III). Now I'm starting to look into buying a new lens. Seems there's lots of 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 lovers around, and was wondering who/what you'd recommend it for... :) I'm quite new to the photography world bear with me ;) What price range should I expect and where's the best place to buy?

All the photos in this thread were taken with a 50mm. so that gives you an idea of what it can do. It's different to your other 2 lenses, they are zoom but the 50 is not. You cant zoom anything, if you want to get closer to something you physically move closer, you zoom with your feet so they say.

The reason we all love it is it's a very sharp lens and is good in low light because you can open the aperture up, that's the number 1.8 or 1.4 we mention.

The price varies alot depending on whether you buy online or in a shop. I bought my 50 1.4 from a shop over 2 years ago and it was nearly $600 then. If I'd bought it online I would have got it alot cheaper but I did have trouble with mine and it had to be repaired, which was eventually done free of charge even though the warranty had just expired, I'm not sure how well that would have been dealt with if I'd had to deal with the online guarantee, and the 1.4 is known for the problem I had, auto focus failure. In fact a few DOLers have had the same problem with theirs.

The 1.8 is alot cheaper so if something went wrong it's not such a drain on your wallet should you have to chuck it, although I dont think it's known for the auto focus failure of its more expensive brother.

Right now it's only $87 from DWI an online seller but you've still got postage on top and they charge a bit for that. It might be worthwhile comparing the diff between them and a retail shop.

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...sp?idProduct=63 I think the 1.8 would be a good start for you. It's a much loved little lens often affectionately referred to as the "nifty fifty"

Thanks for the info! I will definitely be looking into the 1.8 :vomit:

They are very cute babies Kirislin - my neices who are twins! Met them for the first time on Monday so I was very excited. I am tossing up between another prime lense - either getting the 85mm or perhaps even the 100mm macro. I haven't decided. Then there's the dream lense which I'm dying to get the 24-70L.

Huga.. VERY exciting news about your new baby. I hope the puppy wait flies for you!! :laugh:

Lovely pic Tawnydal.. just gorgeous.