50mm 1.4 Or 1.8 Post Your Pics Here!

Kirislin

Can't beleive this thread is on the 4th page!!! I upgraded my 1.8 to the 1.4 today.. now just have to sit and wait for said upgrade to arrive. :coffee:

c'mon... someone would have some pics somewhere!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I took this one today.

5770622325_2e26c12dcf_z.jpg

I love this, I have a photo of ME somewhere with the exact same expression! :laugh: Is this one of your dogs, the face looks too dark?

This is Sohvi one of Lappiemums girls.

Edited by Evolving

Hi guys! Wow all your photos are amazing!! I've gone thru all pages tonight in this thread!! Lol.

I have a very basic entry level nikon d3000 with the twins lens kit(18-55 VR and 55-200 VR).

I have no photography training or anything, but have been researching my next lens and am looking at getting the 50 or 35mm / 1.8 or 1.4 nikkor lens.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I need something that's gonna work well in low light, nighttime. And also from the photos they take great action shots - I've got a border and rough collie - so something that's gonna capture them in movement would be great!

Thanks everyone in advance, hoping someone can help!

At the moment I mainly use auto setting :( so a lens that can do well in that setting while I learn will be great! :)

Thanks again, LML :)

Wow - quite a big price difference between 1.8 and 1.4 50mm..... On digital camera warehouse I can get a AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D for $186. (Does AF mean its auto-focus)?? Or... Nikkor Lens - AF 50mm f/1.4D which is $499....

Hmmmm...which would you get??? Thanks again guys!!! :) Hopefully I can post in here soon too :)

Wow - quite a big price difference between 1.8 and 1.4 50mm..... On digital camera warehouse I can get a AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D for $186. (Does AF mean its auto-focus)?? Or... Nikkor Lens - AF 50mm f/1.4D which is $499....

Hmmmm...which would you get??? Thanks again guys!!! :) Hopefully I can post in here soon too :)

You might want to double check that you can use the AF to auto focus on your camera body. The entry level bodies don't have the focus motor built in, so it needs to be in the lens. Which means you may need the AFS lens.

ETA: Here's a link to an article that provides some photo examples of how the lenses differ with the Canon and I imagine Nikon is pretty similar.. maybe huga can confirm? http://photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

I haven't done comparisons side by side like that, but honestly, I really can't tell the difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8. I borrowed Rocco's 1.4 for a while and assumed my photos would look sharper with that lens, but they really didn't. Rocco said she couldn't see the difference either. I shoot in RAW, so my images always need a bit of sharpening - I just couldn't say that one was better or worse than the other.

Found it:

Additionally, since the D3000 body has no built-in AF motor, only Nikon AF-S (including the earlier AF-I) and equivalent third-party lenses that have an in-lens AF motor can auto focus with the D3000. Other AF and AF-D lenses that have no motor become manual-focus only on the D3000.

From here:

http://photo.net/equipment/nikon/D3000/review/

So you won't be able to auto focus on your body with the 1.8.

Thanks so much Huga! I've been reading up lots today lol. I've just found a website thanks to DOL - DWI. They have a AF-S 50mm 1.4 for nearly the same price I was looking at on Dig Camera W/H but for the AF only.

They don't have any 1.8 AF-S in stock at the moment though, but I'm thinking of just getting the 1.4 straight up rather than buying the 1.8 now and then upgrading anyways I think. Such a big decision!! lol

Kinda makes me wish I had bought a better body straight away too, but of course in hindsight.... it was all i could afford at the time! But I still love my D3000 :) And think I will love it even more with a new lens!

Do these lenses take good action shots as well - sometimes my pups are so fast, I want to be able to just click & capture without having to try and focus the camera. I've seen some great crisp action shots in this thread which I am so excited about getting :)

Huga - what do you use?

I struggle with actions shots, partly because I have a white dog and partly because I am crap at action.

You need a lovely fast shutter speed for action. But yes, the 50mm is nice and fast, so goes ok with action.

I have a D300s with a 24mm, a 50mm 1.8 and a 105mm. One day I'll get my D700 and keep the D300 as a back up.

I doubt there will be much of a difference in normal light, I just love how it can be pushed much further in low light. Handy for shooting in dark churches (and hopefully for births one day).

Lolapalooza that so cute :D

I havent posted in here for yonkers so heres some of my latest faves with the 1.4. Some non pooch shots for a change.

5770451793_15189a97c2.jpg

5541356397_5e4868fc56.jpg

5640127548_773cf46da0.jpg

5602729308_ec6c61f60f.jpg

5541766585_0e0431ac1f.jpg

5498765492_c8eafe2011.jpg

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww love those pics!Im expecting baby berners in 5 weeks can you please come and help me take pics of them like the baby pics you have done here????????