Dog Vomiting After Bones

cazxxz

My colleague has a BC who doesn't seem to tolerate lamb shanks. After eating them, he vomited and was very uncomfortable and in pain. The vet advised my colleague to stop feeding her dog bones (I believe lamb shanks were all she had tried) and to feed a kibble for sensitive stomachs (I think Science Diet) because the bones were splintering and injuring his stomach.

Does this sound right? Would softer bones (eg chicken necks or carcasses, roo tails, or pork) have the same effect? Could the dog be sensitive to bacteria from the raw food rather than the sharp bones? My colleague is concerned about her dog's teeth and potential vet bills from not eating bones and would love to feed a raw diet if it was an option.

Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Hi-

My old Mitchell,used to.. and also Hamlet now will vomit after eating hard bones like shanks- the jagged bits irritate the stomach- and back they come. Most of our dogs handle them with no problem...altho I tend to use the non-weight bearing bones more nowdays...shanks, etc occasionally.

I don't give them to Hamlet anymore... but he does steal :thumbsup:

poor Ham- he was in dire straits a couple of days back- threw up 5 times after stealing someone's harder bone!

he had roo tail last night tho- no problems!!

my boy east all bones without any problems but my girl cant have hard bones shes fine on her daily carcasses but she cant tolerate the little bits of bone from big roo tails - and eventually some comes back up... i still feed them to her sometimes - i dont consider it to be too much of a problem and its usually around 6 hrs later she throws the tiny bones bits back up - so shes getting all the nutrients from the actual meat.

maybe try some chicken necks to start with and see how she goes...?

I don't like shanks for dog bones - they tend to splinter.

It's common for my dogs (one in particular who doesn't chew so well) to vomit bile the day after eating bones. I believe it's due to a small piece of bone blocking the exit from the stomach into the intestine and allowing a build up of stomach acid. He vomits it up, chew it up small and eats it again (ewww) and is all better. He's been doing it for years and it would never stop me feeding bones.