Raw Feeding

Hi There,

I'm a big believer in raw feeding and I'm seeing excellent results. The only thing I would say is that it takes time (but is worth it) and my freezer is overrun with animal meats, organs, fish and other stuff for the dogs rather than us :( Some people comment on how they eat better than we do!

Recently, I found this pet shop about half an hour from Melbourne that makes his own raw mix and it sounds really great and is very reasonably priced. I'm trying it out at the moment but the only thing is, the tubs only say what is in the meat and doesn't say the quantities. Should I be concerned about this?

One label reads:

'Home made 100% Natural'

Ox heart, chicken frames, chicken wings, mixed vegies, omega 3,6,9 oils, lamb, ox kidney, ox tongue, calcium and tripe. Also, Vets all natural complete mix.

Should I be concerned for example that this would contain too much calcium that may cause issues if fed regularly? Perhaps I should only feed small quantities here and there rather than consider it as a regular diet? I have two staffs a puppy 15 weeks and an older bitch 18 mths.

Currently they get fed:

Natural yoghurt, sardines, chicken frames/wings, lamb heart, kidneys, tripe, shanks, with veg pulp and juice - not in that order and not all in the same meal of course.

Are there any raw feeders out there that want to offer any thoughts on this?

They both eat with gusto and have lovely shiny coats, white choppers and full of energy so seem to be doing well...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Home made 100% Natural'

Ox heart, chicken frames, chicken wings, mixed vegies, omega 3,6,9 oils, lamb, ox kidney, ox tongue, calcium and tripe. Also, Vets all natural complete mix.

Perhaps seeing that you said they make it up themselves you can get the quantity they put in to each batch of everything. Ask how many continers the batch makes up and hey presto you can work out your percentages.

I would be a little worried about is them adding calcium. It's not needed. If the calcium was in the from egg shells from whole eggs they had added then I wouldn't be worried but it seems like it is powdered supplements that they have added.

Not sure about feeding offal every day either.

thanks puggy puggy.. I tried asking him and he said that he didn't want to give away his recipe but I will tell him when I see him that I'm concerned about the level of calcium he is adding and need to understand even ballpark...how much is in a kilo of his food.

I used to feed BARF which is good but is getting too expensive and I don't like the move to the new packaging in recent months. Preferred it how it used to come, just in bags. The Roo recipe was especially good but that is really expensive now.

Sometimes I think it's best to do just do the work, find the time and that way we know exactly what we're feeding eh? :( Yes, I will slap myself on the hand for going down the easy route with this... :(

Seriously make your own.

I do up my veggie/fruit slops every two months (if it's only my two dogs) which probably takes 2 hours.

Probably once a month I will buy chicken necks, offal, kangaroo, bones and other meat and package them up into zip lock freezer bags. Which probably takes another 2 hours.

When it comes to feeding it's easy. I will get out of the freezer a chinese take away container with the slops in (which will last as few days meals) and whatever meat/bones they are having for the following nights dinner and leave it in the fridge. It is defrosed by the next evening and ready for them to eat.

Seriously make your own.

I do up my veggie/fruit slops every two months (if it's only my two dogs) which probably takes 2 hours.

Probably once a month I will buy chicken necks, offal, kangaroo, bones and other meat and package them up into zip lock freezer bags. Which probably takes another 2 hours.

When it comes to feeding it's easy. I will get out of the freezer a chinese take away container with the slops in (which will last as few days meals) and whatever meat/bones they are having for the following nights dinner and leave it in the fridge. It is defrosed by the next evening and ready for them to eat.

Care to share a recipe? I know some people add eggs, yoghurt to the vegetables which need to pulverised for digestion, is this correct? then add the meat which is minced last? Then again, I think each person may do it slightly differently..

I feed once a day basically alternating with RMB and muscle meat. It all evens out at the end of the week. If I had larger dogs I would probably feed RMB like chicken necks/frames in the morning and then muscle meat & veggie slops in the evening.

BARF FEEDING ROUTINE

MONDAY

Chicken Necks

Slops

TUESDAY

Fish

Slops

WEDNESDAY

Chicken Necks

Yoghurt

Slops

THURSDAY

Kangaroo

Slops

FRIDAY

Chicken Necks

Offal

Slops

SATURDAY

Lamb bones

Slops

SUNDAY

Beef or Lamb or Kangaroo or Pork

Slops

BARF SLOPS INGREDIENTS & METHOD

Things I always include:

- container of alfala spouts

- bunch of spinach (roots cut off)

- bag of carrots

- bunch of celary

- 4 zuccinis

- 3 to 4 oranges (peeled)

- 1 pumpkin

- 2 to 4 apples (pips taken out)

- 2 to 4 bannanas (peeled)

- 8 to 10 eggs (whole including shell)

- flaxseed oil (approx 250mL)

- kelp (approx 100g)

What else you can put in:

- 1 to 2 green capsicums (stalk cut off & seeds out)

- 1 to 2 red caspsicums (stalk cut off & seeds removed)

- bunch of silverbeet

- squash

- sweet potato

- 2 to 4 pears

- half to 1 pinapple

- brussel sprouts

- brocoli

- cauliflower

- bag of beans

- Apple Cider Vinegar

- Vitamin C

Chop up then process up in blender/food processor so that things turn to slops. Put each blender batch into a big bucket. Usually leave the eggs & flaxseed oil for things that don't blend very well like the pumpkin and carrots. Ingredients should fill up a bucket. Mix bucket with big ladel till all mixed through then put into take away containers & freeze untill needed.

I feed once a day basically alternating with RMB and muscle meat. It all evens out at the end of the week. If I had larger dogs I would probably feed RMB like chicken necks/frames in the morning and then muscle meat & veggie slops in the evening.

BARF FEEDING ROUTINE

MONDAY

Chicken Necks

Slops

TUESDAY

Fish

Slops

WEDNESDAY

Chicken Necks

Yoghurt

Slops

THURSDAY

Kangaroo

Slops

FRIDAY

Chicken Necks

Offal

Slops

SATURDAY

Lamb bones

Slops

SUNDAY

Beef or Lamb or Kangaroo or Pork

Slops

BARF SLOPS INGREDIENTS & METHOD

Things I always include:

- container of alfala spouts

- bunch of spinach (roots cut off)

- bag of carrots

- bunch of celary

- 4 zuccinis

- 3 to 4 oranges (peeled)

- 1 pumpkin

- 2 to 4 apples (pips taken out)

- 2 to 4 bannanas (peeled)

- 8 to 10 eggs (whole including shell)

- flaxseed oil (approx 250mL)

- kelp (approx 100g)

What else you can put in:

- 1 to 2 green capsicums (stalk cut off & seeds out)

- 1 to 2 red caspsicums (stalk cut off & seeds removed)

- bunch of silverbeet

- squash

- sweet potato

- 2 to 4 pears

- half to 1 pinapple

- brussel sprouts

- brocoli

- cauliflower

- bag of beans

- Apple Cider Vinegar

- Vitamin C

Chop up then process up in blender/food processor so that things turn to slops. Put each blender batch into a big bucket. Usually leave the eggs & flaxseed oil for things that don't blend very well like the pumpkin and carrots. Ingredients should fill up a bucket. Mix bucket with big ladel till all mixed through then put into take away containers & freeze untill needed.

sounds like you know what your doing.

i really want to start my pup on barf, ive done alot of research but still a bit confused. Any feeding plans or recipes you could help me with becasue the last thing i want to do is not give my growing pup enough nutrients that its needs.

have you had any pups on barf?

what do you mean by "VAN"? I'm feeding heaps of RMBs but with the offal, not too sure about how much they need of this type of food as it is fairly rich

VAN = Vets All Natural. It is a mix of grains, kelp etc. There have been a few recent threads on it here (some pro, some con).

have you had any pups on barf?

Have raised foster pups from the age of 7 weeks to 5 months on BARF. Both did fantastically well. Up untill the ages of 6 to 7 months they should be getting 3 meals a day.

This is the info I gave to the people that adopted my girls...

-------------------------------------------------------

PUG PUPPY BARF DIET

• Currently being feed approximately 10% of their body weight, 80% of which should be Raw Meaty Bones and 20% vegies, offal & dairy, divided up into 3 meals a day. As they get older this should be cut back with them getting fed 2% to 3% of their body weight in either two or one meal a day when they are adults. If you see that they are getting to fat then cut the percentage back.

• Breakfast & Dinner consist of Puppy mince/minced chicken carcasses, Barf veggie slops & full fat yoghurt. I will prepare a bowl of it in the morning mixing together the mince, veggie slops and yoghurt. Lunch consists of a raw meaty bone.

• Twice a week I have been adding sardines to their food & once a week offal. You could add other things like kangaroo & beef from time to time but it is important that the bone to meat ratio remains ok.

• Lennard’s sells the Puppy mince/ chicken mince which they have been fed on. It is made up of minced chicken carcasses. If you have to source the mince from somewhere else make sure it contains meat as well as the minced bones. It is important that dogs when dogs are fed meat (phosphorus) that they also have the right ratio of bone (calcium) with it to balance out nutritional needs. If dogs are fed meat without bones then serious health problems can occur.

• Lamb bones are the best for them as they are soft enough for them to eat the whole bone which is important. Other bones that can be feed are the ones from non weight bearing parts of the body. Weight bearing bones are often to hard for dogs to actually consume both the bone and the meat throwing the phosphorus/ calcium ratio all out of whack and ruining dogs teeth in the process.

puggy puggy: you seem to know quite a bit about barf feeding.

My new dog Zoe wont eat dry food but absolutely loves raw so i am making the move onto 100% barf for her and slowly doing the same with my other dog who is tolerating bones and meat very well now.

I am going to be doing 3% and alter if needed depending if she needs more or less.

What raw meaty bones would you most recommend for Golden Retrievers? The chicken mince they get is out of carcasses every day and they get chicken frames to eat every second day and they love them. I will be trying either kangaroo or lamb or beef i am not sure which to go with as of yet with them to see if they like that also.

I see you feed offal once a week, is there any particular type i should give?

Edited by LucyCharzie

i give sasha 300g of raw pet mince, half a dozen chicken necks and a 3rd of a can of home brand chunky sardines from the cat food section... she loves it and her poop is nice and firm as opposed to when i fed her numerous brands of kibble which just give her the runs and she never liked eating it anyway and usually end up costing more.... should i add anything else to the mix or just stick with this?

As she gets older you're going to need to cut that down.

Adult sibes need very little.

Mine get 270g and 350g each. Any more and they get fat. As a puppy that'd be fine. Some like to feed veges and fruit but I don't consider it necessary though mine do get apples and frozen eggs (keeps them entertained). There is nothing scientific which supports vege being necessary, in fact, there is scientific research on wolves which show they don't eat veges.

Edited by Lord Midol

i give sasha 300g of raw pet mince, half a dozen chicken necks and a 3rd of a can of home brand chunky sardines from the cat food section... she loves it and her poop is nice and firm as opposed to when i fed her numerous brands of kibble which just give her the runs and she never liked eating it anyway and usually end up costing more.... should i add anything else to the mix or just stick with this?

As she gets older you're going to need to cut that down.

Adult sibes need very little.

Psstt Midol... Sasha is a mallie :thumbsup:

All right, you raw feeders finally have me convinced (I don't take long :laugh::( ). I have been researching all day....

I cannot find any kibble which will keep the weight on my very active GSPs. They are 26-27 kgs now but slip back to 25 every 5 or 6 weeks.

I did add chicken frames to their kibble for a few months and they put on weight with that. Now I see how easy raw feeding is, I will switch over.

Can I do the alternating days meals or will they need twice a day?

Thank you

BP

--- eta put sentences in correct order.

Edited by BellasPerson

Ohhhhhhhhhh.

Well then... I have nothing. I just looked at the photo and thought "That sibe has funky ears" but being a mallie it makes sense :(

funky ears...pfft lol its so annoying everywhere i take her ppl say oh is he a husky i love huskies and i say no SHE is an ALASKAN MALAMUTE and theyre like oh ok and then say something stupid like i like huskies better... like theyd even know the difference. i had a lady trying to tell me that malamutes are a type of husky at the dog park the other day and when i said no theyre not theyre a type of spitz she looked at me like i was on drugs yet she owns 2 huskies :laugh: some ppl are just silly, mind you if i didnt have a mallie i would get them confused too i guess so i cant be too harsh on people, personally i think mals are much better looking but thats just my opinion and im a little biased.

i had a guy tell me yesterday(used to be a malamute breeder apparantly) that her diet is good but i should give her some dry food that was high in roo meat to bulk her up as well (cant remember what it was called) but i thought roo was too rich for them or something.... i dunno, might just put on my coke and pizza diet and see how that goes... worked for the dog in K9 lol

Lmao, I get the same thing.

"That's a nice Mallie" "Errr, it's a husky" "Ohhh, I prefer Mallies" ---- WTF? They just called my dog a mallie, now that they know what it is they don't like it anymore???

I can tell the difference between the two, generally, but as puppies it's very hard so I just assumed it was a sibe with funky ears.

Ummm, dry food high in roo? If you want roo in her diet just give her kangaroo tails - meat + teeth cleaning. Roo meat is very rich and also very lean. My dogs are fine on it, but you'd want to be careful it doesn't give her the runs. Varying the meat (say kangaroo once a week) prevents the dog getting bored with his food. My GSD will never get bored with food. He doesn't care what it is, he'll eat it. But Gizmo does. I have to vary between beef and chicken.

**** retraction... after looking at my signiture pic she does have funky ears lol... she has grown a little more into them since then thank god lol

Lmao, my first sibe was the same, huge ears, but not as big as Sashas :eek:

PB250162.JPG

Bella: What's an alternating day meal? I feed my dogs whenever I remember to, sometimes morning, sometimes lunch time, sometimes in the afternoon. Yesterdays meal only got to them about 30 minutes ago.

Ok Im gonna jump in and ask a stupid question.

I have been feeding my GSD raw for 5 months now. She gets RMB's in the morning, usualy when I leave for work - keeps her occupied! Then in the evening she gets a combination of vegie slops, offal, sardines/fish, and mince (not all at once, alternate days)

I have been feeding her twice a day because she was always hungry and very lean, so it works for her. I have never had a problem with her eating her food, in fact she eats so fast its a little alarming, and would eat twice what I put out for her given the chance, and it was a little difficult keeping weight on her. The last 10 days or so she has gone off her food. Both meals, bones and vegies alike. I have cut down her portions but she is till not really interested. For instance this morning I gave her a lamb shank. It is still sitting in her bowl! She is now going through a third of what she was eating before.

I was worried that she was unwell, but she still has her usual energy and seems quite happy. Her coat is good and she isnt losing any weight, in fact she doesnt look skinny for once.

She will be 2 at the end of Jan. Is this a normal thing to go through? or something to worry about. If it wasnt so sudden I guess I wouldnt worry but...

Thoughts?

laeral

I'm not sure about the feeding twice a day (still trying to figure that out as I'm starting raw this week).

Both my dogs stopped growing at about 18 months so she might have just finished a growth spurt and not need as much food. Also my dogs eat less in summer as they run around less. In winter I can't keep the weight on them.

I also read on another thread that dogs put on weight easily on raw.

That's all I know, waiting for more information.