Raw Feeding

laeral

I'm not sure about the feeding twice a day (still trying to figure that out as I'm starting raw this week).

Both my dogs stopped growing at about 18 months so she might have just finished a growth spurt and not need as much food. Also my dogs eat less in summer as they run around less. In winter I can't keep the weight on them.

I also read on another thread that dogs put on weight easily on raw.

That's all I know, waiting for more information.

Yeah, as I typed it all down it occured to me that she may have just stopped growing as she is at that age. Plus it has been a bit warmer. She looks fine and is VERY energetic, I wont worry to much yet :laugh:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, normal imo (I saw it in my sibe) once they reach adult size they stop eating so much. Axle was getting ~500-600g a day and moved to around 390g a day as an adult (he ran around heaps.)

I only feed my GSD twice a day because he is growing and he gets so frickin bored if I don't (All of his feed is fed frozen, so it keeps him occupied for ages.)

reading this with interest and have a couple of questions - how long do sardines keep for? I have seafood allergy and don't touch the stuff so I know nothing about it. Do they keep for a couple of days? Do I buy the ones in oil or....?

Also, with the veg, I'll need to buy a blender (got rid of nearly all my belongings when I went o/s and haven't replaced everything yet) - do dogs usually like this veggie mix more than individual veg? My puppy likes spinach, pumpkin, a little bit of carrot, but not much else - fruit, zucchini, etc all get taken out of her food bowl and dumped on the floor.

If she doesn't like this mix is it ok to play around with the ingredients?

Sardines in a tin will keep for some, check the date on the label. The ones I have in my cupboard say best before 2011. The ones in oil are fine, but use springwater if you prefer :)

Yes you will need to purchase a blender or juicer. A juicer will do a more thorough job, but I use a blender and it works OK. Just make sure you blend it quite well, as the vegetable matter needs to be broken down for the dogs to digest properly.

I include silverbeet, celery, capsicum, tomato, zuchini, bok choy, spinach and a little bit of carrot and pumpkin plus some banana and apple. Sometimes she gets broccoli or cauliflower as well.

I found when I switched to raw that Mica loved her vegie slops and ate them up fast. Didnt matter with the ingredients. You can chop and change the ingredients to suit what you have available etc. Just be sure to include lots of green leafy stuff like spinach etc.

ETA some people dont feed vegies at all - something to consider :wink:

Edited by laeral

If they don't feed vegies, do they feed one meal a day?

I'm trying to work out which is best for my dogs. Is there a book you would recommend?

I started my two on raw yesterday and they love it :) .

I will experiment with some veges I think.

BP Im not sure on how often other people feed there dogs. I feed mine twice a day because I was having trouble keeping weight on her. I am now thinking of cutting back to once a day as she is not eating as much. Not sure how to balance between her RMB and vegies though if its just once a day. Something I will have to think about.

I would recommend you read Ian Billinghurst's Give Your Dog a Bone or Tom Lonsdale's book.

Or do a search on here and you will come up with heaps.

Thanks laeral. I will read those books.

I found so much info on the forum and everyone does it differently. I think I'll try and add some vegies in one meal as you can serve veges (not fruit / grains) with RMB.

Better order the book today...

For deciding if you want to add veges, add them for a few weeks then remove them. If you notice no difference in your dogs coat or general health then decide whether you want to keep them in.

Just because the coat doesn't change doesn't mean they aren't benefiting your dog tho (covering my arse, since I don't feed veges :rofl:)

Guest Tess32

If they don't feed vegies, do they feed one meal a day?

I'm trying to work out which is best for my dogs. Is there a book you would recommend?

I started my two on raw yesterday and they love it :) .

I will experiment with some veges I think.

I feed twice a day (sometimes with vegies though) - in the morning they USUALLY get some kind of meat only meal like fish, offal, muscle meat like heart, tongue etc and if they do get vegies they get some then.

At night they only get raw meaty bones.

Hoping the OP doesn't mind me popping in here with a question - it is relevant to raw feeding though ;).

I'm feeding my young boy (6.5 mo RR .... currently 28.2kgs) all raw (including mixture of vegies, yoghurt, fish etc). I've just included chicken livers as part of his diet.

1. How many of the chicken livers should I feed in one 'sitting'?
  2. I presume these should only be fed about once a week as I believe too much is not good?

Advice from others would be appreciated :D.

Cheers!

Erny

Edited by Erny

Hoping the OP doesn't mind me popping in here with a question - it is relevant to raw feeding though :rofl:.

I'm feeding my young boy (6.5 mo RR .... currently 28.2kgs) all raw (including mixture of vegies, yoghurt, fish etc). I've just included chicken livers as part of his diet.

1. How many of the chicken livers should I feed in one 'sitting'?
  2. I presume these should only be fed about once a week as I believe too much is not good?

Advice from others would be appreciated :rofl:.

Cheers!

Erny

Hi Erny,

I give my guys chicken frames with the livers & other bits attached - they won't eat them from a bowl ;)

They would have the frames for tea maybe three nights a week, but I have no idea how many gooby bits that is as I don't look :D - we're talking 26kg & 36kg greys.

annieK

I give my guys chicken frames with the livers & other bits attached - they won't eat them from a bowl ;)

:D ..... must taste different. Maybe a bit like that I hate drinking wine from an ordinary glass. LOL

They would have the frames for tea maybe three nights a week, but I have no idea how many gooby bits that is as I don't look :rofl: - we're talking 26kg & 36kg greys.

We only have one gooby .... oops!, I mean "liver" don't we? I will guess that chooks only have one as well. Which would mean about 3 goobies per week.

Meat is soooooo revolting. Yuck.

Thanks for your response, Anniek.

PS. I feel cheated. The chicken frames from my wholesale butchers comes goobiless :rofl:.

Edited by Erny